Liberty cruise report | 032016-032716 | Falmouth, George Town, Cozumel

M_BA

After the show, we stopped by the Champagne Bar. There was a band playing Tejano and Salsa music. This place was hopping! There were dancers from teens up into the seventies.

IMG_20160321_232824.jpg

When I did my first cruise out of Galveston in 2011, 90-95% of the ship was from Texas. By 2006, the ship was around 75% Texans.

This cruise, the Texans were the minority. What really surprised me were the International cruisers. I met people on board from Norway and England. What I hadn't considered fully was that our cruise ended on Easter Sunday, March 27th. In Mexico, many take off the week of Easter. About 2,000 Mexican nationals decided that Liberty of the Seas was the perfect locale for this important Catholic week. That helped explain the complete Customs/Immigration cluster boarding the ship.

I got to speak Spanish about 20% of the time, making many new friends from Mexico. Many of them were from Monterrey, Mexico and most of those drove to Galveston. My Spanish is conversational while my comprehension lacks a bit, as many speak way to fast for my brain to process.

There were three or four groups from Mexico that were bachelorette's. They especially seemed to be having an enjoyable time.

When I did my first cruise out of Galveston in 2011, 90-95% of the ship was from Texas. By 2006, the ship was around 75% Texans.

This should have read:

When I did my first cruise out of Galveston in 2001, 90-95% of the ship was from Texas. By 2006, the ship was around 75% Texans.

After the show, we stopped by the Champagne Bar. There was a band playing Tejano and Salsa music. This place was hopping! There were dancers from teens up into the seventies.

This cruise, the Texans were the minority. What really surprised me were the International cruisers. I met people on board from Norway and England. What I hadn't considered fully was that our cruise ended on Easter Sunday, March 27th. In Mexico, many take off the week of Easter. About 2,000 Mexican nationals decided that Liberty of the Seas was the perfect locale for this important Catholic week. That helped explain the complete Customs/Immigration cluster boarding the ship.

I got to speak Spanish about 20% of the time, making many new friends from Mexico. Many of them were from Monterrey, Mexico and most of those drove to Galveston. My Spanish is conversational while my comprehension lacks a bit, as many speak way to fast for my brain to process.

There were three or four groups from Mexico that were bachelorette's. They especially seemed to be having an enjoyable time.

It’s interesting that you mentioned the Mexican nationals on board. Last week I tried to order a glass of port in the MDR on the first night. They told me that had none. :confused: Later in the week at the Lafite wine tasting I asked the sommelier about it. She said the Mexican folks from the two weeks before drank it all. :eek: I was able to get a glass at Vintages, but not the MDR. :rolleyes:

It’s interesting that you mentioned the Mexican nationals on board. Last week I tried to order a glass of port in the MDR on the first night. They told me that had none. :confused: Later in the week at the Lafite wine tasting I asked the sommelier about it. She said the Mexican folks from the two weeks before drank it all. :eek: I was able to get a glass at Vintages, but not the MDR. :rolleyes:

I saw a few non-published changes based on the demographics, like the music at the Champagne bar that night. I was impressed that the staff was dynamic with changes based on the guests.

The ship experience was truly unique, I doubt I'll see the same demographics and experience again unless it's a similar cruise date.

Day three, Tuesday, was our second consecutive sea day. I woke up early and watched the sunrise from our balcony while reading. I headed to the Windjammer around 7:00 AM. Once again, I had impeccable service, with my drinks being carried, asked if I wanted anything else, etc. I had the same choices as Monday breakfast.

After breakfast, I wandered the upper decks outside. The winds weren't as strong and it was a bit warmer. I then returned to the Promenade for people watching and more reading. It was a relaxing and stress-free morning.

I left my better half in bed to sleep, knowing she couldn't run up a $1,000 bill in the spa if she was asleep. :p

I returned shortly after 11:00 AM to retrieve my beloved. Along the way back to the room, I procured my 'between breakfast and lunch' snack:

IMG_20160322_111327.jpg

Champagne bar? I don't think there was ever music at the Champagne Bar but since Dry Dock it is now the R Bar. Do you mean Boleros?

I probably have the name incorrect, it was the two bars area on deck 5, across the Centrum from Guest Relations.

Then again, maybe I was lost on the ship and had no idea where we were! LOL

Edited by M_BA
I have no clue where we were...

Champagne bar? I don't think there was ever music at the Champagne Bar but since Dry Dock it is now the R Bar. Do you mean Boleros?

We've seen a single musician there before, once a violinist and another time a guitar player.

I was on Liberty of the Seas last week. Ours was the Roatan/Belize/Cozumel itinerary, but I suspect it is handled the same on your itinerary. We also had a non-ship excursion planned for Belize – a tender port on Thursday (Day 5). There was a note in Tuesday’s Cruise Compass (Day 3) stating that tender tickets would be available from 9:00 am – 11:00 am outside the Michelangelo dining room. The notice said to bring your excursion booking confirmation. I got there about 8:50 and the staff member was just arriving. There were maybe 10-15 of us who lined up to get tickets, so I had no problem getting a Tender 1 ticket. The person did examine the meeting time on my excursion paperwork. Tender tickets were also available at 8:00 am on the day we were in Belize.

On the tender day they seemed to operate ship excursions from the Port side and others from Starboard.

Hope that helps some.

Tim

Just to confirm that tickets for the tendering in Belize is to be picked up Day 3, between 9-11am? I have a confirmation for a non-ship cave tubing tour and am anxious to get the earliest tender. So is 8am called Tender 1? What time did the tender 1 arrive in port?

Wasn't sure if there would be a line up for the tender tickets, but 8.50am for line ups sounds good!

Not that I care, but one of the pics you posted as Champagne Bar was actually Bolero's, doesn't matter, I knew what you meant. And yes, alas, Champagne Bar no more, R Bar...wonder why they felt it should be changed. We have enjoyed many a quiet romantic night in Champagne Bar:(

Not that I care, but one of the pics you posted as Champagne Bar was actually Bolero's, doesn't matter, I knew what you meant. And yes, alas, Champagne Bar no more, R Bar...wonder why they felt it should be changed. We have enjoyed many a quiet romantic night in Champagne Bar:(

Thanks for clarifying the correct name! My best guess is that a name like 'R Bar' vs 'Champagne Bar' is trying to make the ship more appealing to younger demographics.

Thanks for clarifying the correct name! My best guess is that a name like 'R Bar' vs 'Champagne Bar' is trying to make the ship more appealing to younger demographics.

Except that the R stands for Retro.( LOL) The R Bar supposedly makes everything from scratch. No mixers unless you ask for a gin and tonic or something like that. I found it odd on Liberty that there was an extra charge for any drink that included fresh fruit when that kind of thing is supposed to be their trademark. In my case it was a cucumber martini and the bartender had to go somewhere to get the cucumber. The ones on the Navigator were priced the same as any other premium drink ($12) and on the Liberty it was $15 and not very good. Loved the Navigator R Bar. Liberty not so much.

So I guess R Bar is taking its cue from Molecular Bar on Celebrity...I so loved that bar and now Celebrity is trying to phase IT out! Don't much like the Island Breeze mixers so prevalent the last few years.

I agree with you, except I think the name is Island Oasis.

Just to confirm that tickets for the tendering in Belize is to be picked up Day 3, between 9-11am? I have a confirmation for a non-ship cave tubing tour and am anxious to get the earliest tender. So is 8am called Tender 1? What time did the tender 1 arrive in port?

Wasn't sure if there would be a line up for the tender tickets, but 8.50am for line ups sounds good!

Yes, the notice was in the Day 3 Compass that was in our stateroom on the evening of Day 2. I was able to get tender tickets on the morning of Day 3 for our Belize visit on Day 5. I liked the convenience of getting the tender tickets on a sea day before the more-hectic port days arrived.

Tim

No problem and we'll have extensive GoPro footage of everything. I have my own YouTube channel now.

Would you believe we've never seen Derek!? So pathetic, we can't stay up that late, usually exhausted by 9 or 10!! This time, I have made a vow to stay up with the rest of the grownups!!

But I've been loving this review!!!;)

Edited by BecciBoo

Yes, Island Oasis is the mixer they use for the foo foo drinks and also the bloody marys. It is nasty and too sugary for me. Are they still using this stuff? I will try to ask for a hand made bloody mary. Does any one know what types of wine they are serving? Last year they had something called Tinsdale and it was nasty. Debating whether or not to get a drink package.

Yes, Island Oasis is the mixer they use for the foo foo drinks and also the bloody marys. It is nasty and too sugary for me. Are they still using this stuff? I will try to ask for a hand made bloody mary. Does any one know what types of wine they are serving? Last year they had something called Tinsdale and it was nasty. Debating whether or not to get a drink package.

They had Tisdale on the drink package when we went in March--it's ok to me, except when I consider a bottle on land runs about 3.25, and my drink package is for a $9.00 glass of wine! Lol. I think they have Estancia too...

On the RCI website they have the R Bar listed as a new specialty restaurant. Do they only serve drinks?