Neets Bay in July?

stateparent

We last cruised Alaska in August of 2002, and are booked again for July 2006 (hooray!!). We did a float plane excursion to Neets Bay to the salmon hatchery, we must have seen 20 bears, it was a great excursion! I was so excited about taking our 10 year old with us this time.

Now that I'm booked, I see that excursion is not always offered until "late July" (we actually are in port in Ketchikan July 20).

Has anyone been in late July that can tell me how the sightings were then? Or in case our cruiseline does not even offer that excursion that sailing, any other recommendations for bear watching in Ketchikan?

Thanks!!!

We did the Neets Creek Bear Watching the first week of August, 2001. It was a thrill and still ranks at the top of favorite shore excursions and we have done MANY since. We will be taking our 10 & 12 yr. old grandsons next year and made sure to book when they offer this excursion. I'm guessing, but probably they don't offer it until they are sure the salmon are running to attract the bear.

Neets Bay is definately an August excursion. I would not consider it on the fringes. Your definately best bet here is Anan, that would be where I would go. Consider goinging with Island Wings. She says this is the top tour from begining of July to consider. So if a must do, do it. :)

Neets Bay now is completely ship contracted with Pro Meck. You will get a much more personal tour going with Island Wings. :) She sends a guide along with you too. :)

islandwings.com for Michelle. I haven't been to Anan Creek, but it is one of the three bear viewing areas in the cruise ports besides Neets Bay and Traitor Cove? Don't know if it is mostly black bears or brown or both. Only other way to see brown bears is denali or a flyin tour from Anc or Homer to Kodiak or Katmai NP's. We did go with Michelle to Misty Fjords NP and she is very good.

Archived