changing cabin...

1fifthavenue

hey all

I have three cruises booked with MSC, 2 of which I'm not happy with the cabin allocation; they both have connecting doors!

On Armonia, which is for my30th birthday we upgraded from an outside to a balcony. We had no option than to do this on a 'guarantee' basis. Knowing it was a bit of a gamble we took this, and looking at the deck plans there are a good number of balconies.

I also booked a balcony for Splendida in October. Logged in today and it's come up with a balcony with.... you guessed it, connecting cabins.

My TA emailed MSC re the Armonia cruise, they said there was nothing they could do.

As I booked Splendida direct I've emailed MSC to see about changing.

This is frustrating as there are other cabins available and there must be other guests who would prefer these rooms.

My questions are:

1. in a cabin with inter-connecting door, is the door as well insulated as the wall? Or can you hear through?

2. With Fantasica experience, MSC say about maximum flexibility. If we wanted to change our booking for October what would the costs be? Or does the £50 deposit just get transferred?

3. We booked on a free drinks package offer - if we moved the booking would we still get this?

I have had interconnecting cabins & I didn't notice any difference. How noisy do you intend to be?

Yelling or loud music/tv will be heard no matter what room you have. Normal activities won't be noticeable in my experience ☺

Sorry I've never tried changing bookings so can't answer other questions.

Edited by kerryincork

Sorry if it came across the wrong way, we don't intend to be noisy at all, but if it was like a normal internal door then obviously you can hear speaking etc through the door. We like to play music on phone or ipad (no additional speakers) whilst getting ready and would hate to be an inconvenience or annoyance to others :)

I don't think noise during the day will be a problem ie listening to music etc while getting ready, I think everyone one realises that a steel cabin won't be as sound proofed as a normal room and expect a certain amount of noise during the day. I genuinely don't remember noise from the connecting cabin. Maybe I was luck with my cabin neighbours ☺

I don't know what you could do if you had an especially noisy neighbours. My travel companion is a heavy snorer so I always travel with earplugs, which I can recommend. 😉

I think that everyone is basically descent and will be quite at night, if you do have a noisy neighbours, maybe a call to the front desk will help.

Have you called MSC to see about a different room?

I have had interconnecting cabins & I didn't notice any difference. How noisy do you intend to be?

Yelling or loud music/tv will be heard no matter what room you have. Normal activities won't be noticeable in my experience ☺

Sorry I've never tried changing bookings so can't answer other questions.

You always hear more with connecting cabins.

At the risk of sounding like a really horrible person, I really don't like children and can think of nothing worse than hearing children whinging and crying. I accept these things happen, and in public spaces you can move away from it, but if it was in the cabin next door then OMG!

I'll see what MSC come back with.

As our TA has said, you can bet that if you wanted connecting cabins there would be none available!

At the risk of sounding like a really horrible person, I really don't like children and can think of nothing worse than hearing children whinging and crying. I accept these things happen, and in public spaces you can move away from it, but if it was in the cabin next door then OMG!

I'll see what MSC come back with.

As our TA has said, you can bet that if you wanted connecting cabins there would be none available!

Have you heard back on this yet?

Having stopped in a balcony with interconnecting doors only once, i cant comment much. Although i never noticed a thing. As for kids, its not in the main holiday season for UK tourists so i'd be surprised if there were many kids on board. You'd have to be seriously unlucky to encounter noisy kids next door.

I looked at this re-positioning cruise too but I don't think i can convince my dearest other half to commit to it. 2 cruises in 1 year would be too much for him to comprehend. lol. Price is amazing on it though for a Fantastica Balcony! Although we're supposed to be going on Safari for his 40th around then and so far he isn't committing to anything. :(

I've still not heard back, although I have been told that this has been passed to the head of the contact centre to look in to further and investigate.

Does anyone know the cancellation or moving cruise policy if we decide to move our second one to another sailing?

I went online at lunchtime today and there was a balcony available without the interconnecting door.

I called through to MSC but was left on hold, so I followed up my email, we've heard from a lovely supervisor who was very apologetic and has put us on the priority list for an upgrade should one become available and has just emailed with some more info "once we get the Armonia cabin sorted" so we will see what happens

She's also said that if we wish to change the Splendida cruise we can do and she will waive the usual admin fee, although we would lose the booking perks as the current offer would apply.

I feel happier about things now and just think we've got the short straw from the allocations team