Escape november 5 Not availablr

backsbanny

Very helpful information thank you! We should try and keep each other updated pertaining to what happens with this and what is offered.

This is not the end of the world was hoping I could just switch to the 11/6 Getaway sailing and change my return flight (assuming they cover change fees).

I guess we will see.

Thanks again,

Vic

Do a search on this forum for things like charter and cancelled cruise. Others have posted verbatim the emails they get from NCL about what the offer. Considering we are 6 months out from the cruise, the compensation should be good. You should be reimbursed for changing your flight. My travel agent said this must be something big for someone to charter this new huge ship just 6 months out.

I'm just anxious to get some info from NCL. I'm ready to sock it to NCL. I hope I can price protect a cruise on this ship for spring break 2017. My cruise was already $300 less than the posted price on NCL. Plus I had $50 OBC, $100 rebate from my TA, and $100 OBC for NCL stock. I was using a large amount of NCL credit card rewards points to pay for the cruise itself. Oh and I used a cruisenext certificate as the deposit. I was making out like a bandit.

Do a search on this forum for things like charter and cancelled cruise. Others have posted verbatim the emails they get from NCL about what the offer. Considering we are 6 months out from the cruise, the compensation should be good. You should be reimbursed for changing your flight. My travel agent said this must be something big for someone to charter this new huge ship just 6 months out.

I'm just anxious to get some info from NCL. I'm ready to sock it to NCL. I hope I can price protect a cruise on this ship for spring break 2017. My cruise was already $300 less than the posted price on NCL. Plus I had $50 OBC, $100 rebate from my TA, and $100 OBC for NCL stock. I was using a large amount of NCL credit card rewards points to pay for the cruise itself. Oh and I used a cruisenext certificate as the deposit. I was making out like a bandit.

Exactly - because you won't be permitted to make and changes until they officially announce the change and offer the compensation. :o

I hope you all get answers soon!

Agree it is true it is only 6-months out and I'm in the same boat, got a great deal with kids sail free, the 2 free offers, $140 OBC.

Going to do a search now for charter as you said to learn more about what to expect - just hope to get this figured out sooner rather than later - it's not that far away.

Has anyone else gotten an e-mail? I have yet to get anything....what was offered?

Ok finally off the phone with my TA. He is a CHATTY CATHY! Anyway, he does not have an email from NCL yet regarding the cancellation. He did make note of what I wanted and I'm back in a holding pattern until he hears from NCL. I forgot to mention since I'm asking for a date just outside their given dates for price protection, that I have to wait for the email from NCL as things might change. However, if I already had a date to change the cruise to that is in NCL's parameters, he could have gotten that done right now.

Edited by Glitter nails

This is what we received this morning ... Not a happy camper ...

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Escape's 7-Day Eastern Caribbean sailing from Miami on November 5, 2016. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

Because the ship has been chartered the 7-Day Eastern Caribbean sailing departing on this date is no longer available. Norwegian is offering guests currently booked and fully deposited on this sailing the following options:

Option 1: Select one of the Norwegian Escape's 7-Day Eastern Caribbean sailings from Miami sailing on September 3, 2016 through April 1, 2017 (excluding December 24, 2016 and December 31, 2016) or September 2, 2017 through December 9, 2017 and your cruise fare will be protected. If you choose this option a $50 onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H) you will receive a $100 per stateroom onboard credit.

Option 2: Select one of the Norwegian Getaway's 7-Day Western Caribbean sailings from Miami sailing on September 4, 2016 through April 2, 2017 (excluding December 18, 2016; December 26, 2016 and January 2, 2017) or October 29, 2017 through December 10, 2017 and your cruise fare will be protected. If you choose this option a $50 onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H) you will receive a $100 per stateroom onboard credit.

Option 3: Select any available sailing in our fleet at the current published fare and your deposit will be applied towards the new sail date. If you choose this option a $50 onboard credit will be applied to your onboard account, which can be used on any expenditure on the ship excluding service charges. If you are currently booked in a suite (categories beginning with S or H) you will receive a $100 per stateroom onboard credit.

Norwegian will also cover up to $300 maximum per person air change fees. We look forward to hearing from you by Tuesday, May 10, 2016, so that we can modify your reservation. If we don't hear from you by Tuesday, May 10, 2016, your reservation will be cancelled. We are standing by to assist you on our dedicated support line at (877) 461-1160 from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET Monday through Friday.

We thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and we look forward to assisting you.

Edited by KimberlyAnne

We switched to the Getaway sailing - had to change our flights which were over the $300 max so submitted to Guest Relations for reimbursement - not much we can do they will have to honor it - out of my control.

We are also switching to getaway as soon as they sort out paying for our hotel for the night our flights were booked with ncl so fingers crossed we should be ok there

I finally got the email, and a phone call from a super pissed off TA. She spent over an hour on the phone with NCL last week, who swore up and down there was no charter. Hopefully she can get us more OBC out of this. NCL was very dishonest about this.

Luckily, we are flexible with our schedule, but I'm so sorry for those who do not have much flexibility. I wish you all the best.

:(I'm super bummed about the change. My kids were so excited about the Escape. They are out of school 2 days that week, so it is the best week for us to travel. We've done Getaway and we were looking forward to the Escape's awesome rope course - the kids saw it in January and fell in love...

Curious, how can you tell if there is a large group booked on a cruise?

Just got word ours was cancelled too after getting a super deal. Air was booked from Boston :( So disappointing. How can they book a whole ship for a charter on a vaca/holiday week? Now have to see about switching to another cruise. This would have been my 3rd NCL all others with RCCL...not feeling great about this at all!

nice they limit the sailings you can take and whatever cabins will be available because they are booking a "charter". Ty for the $50 OBC ....please!

Edited by out2sea

:(I'm super bummed about the change. My kids were so excited about the Escape. They are out of school 2 days that week, so it is the best week for us to travel. We've done Getaway and we were looking forward to the Escape's awesome rope course - the kids saw it in January and fell in love...

Curious, how can you tell if there is a large group booked on a cruise?

Someone's mentioned it on the roll call that's how I know there is a group on the getaway cruise. We have only sailed ncl once it was getaway last year it amazes me that ncl don't understand how going from escape to getaway on a different itinerary could possibly bother me I swear I could scream

Very disappointed and especially with the way they are communicating this. I found out through my TA at lunch time but my parents & sister who booked directly through NCL hadn't been notified.

We planned this at Christmas so we could all coordinate time to be away. Only my husband and I had booked our flights (non-refundable of course) and are looking at $280-$300 each to make changes if not more.

We don't want to do the Breakaway since half our group was just on the Getaway last year and we chose this specific itinerary. Now trying to find if we can move weeks, so extremely frustrating.

I tried numerous times to get through to NCL today and of course high volume waits and no luck. Due to time difference the line you have to call closes when I'm leaving work.

:mad:

Very disappointed and especially with the way they are communicating this. I found out through my TA at lunch time but my parents & sister who booked directly through NCL hadn't been notified.

We planned this at Christmas so we could all coordinate time to be away. Only my husband and I had booked our flights (non-refundable of course) and are looking at $280-$300 each to make changes if not more.

We don't want to do the Breakaway since half our group was just on the Getaway last year and we chose this specific itinerary. Now trying to find if we can move weeks, so extremely frustrating.

I tried numerous times to get through to NCL today and of course high volume waits and no luck. Due to time difference the line you have to call closes when I'm leaving work.

:mad:

I agree, the communication on NCL's part has been horrible. I called yet again to my travel agency about an hour ago as to why I had not received anything telling me my cruise has been cancelled. I sat on hold for about 40 minutes. NCL had not told my agency. WTH!?! So, they are just now finding out because I called. This is not my job!

I'm sorry for everyone whose holiday has been changed. I never really gave it any thought or read threads about cancelled cruises until I was affected.

I know it's easy to get really upset but all cruise lines charter ships and if there's enough $ to be made all will cancel. NCL does seem to be infamous for the $50/$100 obc as a token for rebooking and when people find out they are typically offended. It is what it is and what NCL has been offering for many years now.

After it happened to me I swore I'd never book another cruise that didn't have an alternative on another line should the first choice get cancelled.

The cruise companies have a contract, all are worded quite similarly, and all state the cruise line can cancel at any time and need only to refund your $. In practice they typically offer an alternative choice with price protect and will reimburse certain amount for airlines change fees. It really does no good becoming infuriated with NCL because all lines do the same thing. This is a little short notice for holiday booking but not unheard of.

The alternative sailing price protect dates for this cancel are actually much more generous than offered for my cancelled cruise. NCL re-deployed 1/3 of their fleet last August. You can imagine how many thousands were affected by this redeployment and the confusion that ensued. There's a few 30+ page threads on the subject.

If you have not received your letter and wish to take NCL up on their offer, I would not wait until you get the notification. I would find a date within their parameters for price protect, or non price protect with the whopping $50/$100 obc, find an available stateroom that fits your needs and then call the number posted earlier in this thread.

I know it takes a while to reconfigure vacation time frames etc. If airfare already purchased it might be less expensive to find another ship/line sailing same dates.

Good luck to all affected. Once you get vacation plans changed around you can get back to the fun of anticipating your vacation and forget about the hassle of this cancellation.

I hope this thread doesn't get as nasty as the August mass cancel threads got. Some pretty brutal posters on these boards and if they start in I wouldn't even acknowledge them.

What if my on board credit was more than the $50 they are now offering? Do I get both?

I booked early to get the cabin, price, and week I wanted. Now trying to get a week that all 8 of us can do, change flights and their $300 may not even cover it, plus losing money from pre-paid hotel for two nights.

Really unhappy with NCL. I could see if it was further out but not at 6 months

This is a little short notice for holiday booking but not unheard of.

I could see if it was further out but not at 6 months

Actually before six month mark is the usual time for cancellations like this.

Many experinced posters here can tell you not to book anything non-refundable (or at least have a third party insurance that covers events like this) until after six month mark if you want to be reasonably sure that the cruise won't be cancelled because of a charter. Even that is not 100% certain, but after six month mark the chances of it happening usually seem to be quite low.

So I wouldn't say that this would be a short notice at all - quite usual timeframe for a single cancellation like this, actually.

What if my on board credit was more than the $50 they are now offering? Do I get both?

If your OBC is from NCL, then yes. Price protect means that you'll get the same price and perks when moving to one of the designated replacement cruises.

If it was from your TA, then you need to ask them.