Opinions needed on Ultimate Dining Package

Cruizen Susan

I'm getting ahead of myself, but starting to plan for the next upcoming cruises. A previous poster got me thinking about the dining issues.

We can handle dining every night in specialty restaurants on a 10 night cruise, because we have before. But for a 14-nighter, do you think that is a bit much? Or just do the 5-night specialty package? Then that would be 9 nights in the MDR. Oh and I can't do Silk because I'm gluten free, so I am more limited. For some reason, the specialty venues really take extra care of my needs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The two ships in question are the Equinox and the Eclipse.

Thanks! :)

I'm getting ahead of myself' date=' but starting to plan for the next upcoming cruises. A previous poster got me thinking about the dining issues.

We can handle dining every night in specialty restaurants on a 10 night cruise, because we have before. But for a 14-nighter, do you think that is a bit much? Or just do the 5-night specialty package? Then that would be 9 nights in the MDR. Oh and I can't do Silk because I'm gluten free, so I am more limited. For some reason, the specialty venues really take extra care of my needs.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. The two ships in question are the Equinox and the Eclipse.

Thanks! :)[/quote']

We have only dined in specialty restaurants three times in our 9 Celebrity cruises. It is great, but we tend to eat far more food there. Something to consider, since the MDR is pretty good on Celebrity.

If you can eat in Blu you do not need the Dining Package. If you are not be prepared for major line ups of passengers trying to get into the MDR at popular dining times; therefore I'd buy the package.

We ate in BLU last month, and still visited Tuscan and Murano!! I don't really mind going to the MDR, just that the speciality dining makes a good cruise a GREAT cruise!

I think I have answered my own question.

Thanks all!

On our first cruise we were on the Constellation and just purchased a few nights in Ocean liners. We took the ultimate on our last cruise which was only seven nights but as we were on Silhouette so we had four restaurant choices as well as the porch for lunch, we never made the Bistro. We really liked the idea of choosing different restaurants, but we only doubled up as there was a lot of choice. With fourteen nights away maybe it would be too much especially if only going to Murano and Tuscan grill, I think the eight nights sounds perfect. If we are unable to get the ultimate this year we will probably go with two packages we have nine nights on Equinox this year.

On our first cruise we were on the Constellation and just purchased a few nights in Ocean liners. We took the ultimate on our last cruise which was only seven nights but as we were on Silhouette so we had four restaurant choices as well as the porch for lunch, we never made the Bistro. We really liked the idea of choosing different restaurants, but we only doubled up as there was a lot of choice. With fourteen nights away maybe it would be too much especially if only going to Murano and Tuscan grill, I think the eight nights sounds perfect. If we are unable to get the ultimate this year we will probably go with two packages we have nine nights on Equinox this year.

Thank you! I agree that perhaps 14 nights with only two choices may get redundant.

Thank you! I agree that perhaps 14 nights with only two choices may get redundant.

Realize with 5,3 specialty pkgs there is quota among all the specialties on board, including one you do not prefer. This board often has reports about changes to restaurants in pkg not being allowed. If that's a deal-breaker, consider at boarding, asking for the pkg price with your adjusted mix of restaurants - let the negotiations ensue.

We only do ultimate when at least 3 restaurants we like are on the ship. We're in 'hog heaven' on Reflection with 4 choices plus Porch - our fav is Lawn Club Grill. However, throw in the 1-2 specialty lunches, the rich plentiful food, it does become 'too much of a good thing' late in the cruise. Good Luck

Realize with 5,3 specialty pkgs there is quota among all the specialties on board, including one you do not prefer. This board often has reports about changes to restaurants in pkg not being allowed. If that's a deal-breaker, consider at boarding, asking for the pkg price with your adjusted mix of restaurants - let the negotiations ensue.

We only do ultimate when at least 3 restaurants we like are on the ship. We're in 'hog heaven' on Reflection with 4 choices plus Porch - our fav is Lawn Club Grill. However, throw in the 1-2 specialty lunches, the rich plentiful food, it does become 'too much of a good thing' late in the cruise. Good Luck

Thank you! I can't imagine that they would not work with me regarding gluten allergies. I can only do the 2 choices on Equinox. I have not yet sailed on the Eclipse and will need to look up their dining options, perhaps they have additional.

Interestingly, Celebrity is supposed to be the "higher end" cruiseline over NCL, but in November of 2015, we did a 10 night with them with the ultimate dining package, and they allowed us to pick any choice of dining venues we wanted, so we stayed with the two that most easily took care of my dietary needs, the steakhouse and the French. Believe it or not, I did not get tired of those two restaurants. Filet mignon, lobster, sole, ribeye, etc etc etc, and they got to know us well. We had our own personal dining concierge who met us every night at dinner, and took our orders for the following day. ANYthing we wanted that was not on menus, and she had lots of suggestions. This included breakfast, lunch and dinner. The personal service was truly amazing. AND there was no cost for these services!!!

I hope Celebrity is reading and taking notes about this amazing service that NCL offers!

Thank you! I can't imagine that they would not work with me regarding gluten allergies. I can only do the 2 choices on Equinox. I have not yet sailed on the Eclipse and will need to look up their dining options' date=' perhaps they have additional.

Interestingly, Celebrity is supposed to be the "higher end" cruiseline over NCL, but in November of 2015, we did a 10 night with them [b']with the ultimate dining package, and they allowed us to pick any choice of dining venues we wanted, [/b] so we stayed with the two that most easily took care of my dietary needs, the steakhouse and the French.

I hope Celebrity is reading and taking notes about this amazing service that NCL offers!

We have had 'ultimate' 3 times. Celebrity Ultimate Dining is unrestricted choice - you pick which specialty every night, how many nights. $29 pp per night x # cruise nights at start of cruise. Bistro and couple specialty lunches included too. There often is a limit to 'ultimates' pkg available, based on capacity.

Specialty 3, 5 night packages, for the discount offered, specify which, how often. Others have reported no changes allowed if bought the 3, 5 night pkg. The 25-33% discount offer is tied to the 3,5 night quota at Celeb's choice of locations to spread volume, manage staffing. You pick which night for restaurants in your pkg within the visit quota.

Gluten issue is separate and should be able to be accommodated with advance notice.

Good Luck

We have had 'ultimate' 3 times. Celebrity Ultimate Dining is unrestricted choice - you pick which specialty every night, how many nights. $29 pp per night x # cruise nights at start of cruise. Bistro and couple specialty lunches included too. There often is a limit to 'ultimates' pkg available, based on capacity.

Specialty 3, 5 night packages, for the discount offered, specify which, how often. Others have reported no changes allowed if bought the 3, 5 night pkg. The 25-33% discount offer is tied to the 3,5 night quota at Celeb's choice of locations to spread volume, manage staffing. You pick which night for restaurants in your pkg within the visit quota.

Gluten issue is separate and should be able to be accommodated with advance notice.

Good Luck

Okay now! This is great information that I was unaware of. Sounds like I will be safest for my needs and choices, to go with the UDP. Since I wait until I board the ship to purchase it anyway, I can also find out or negotiate my needs regarding the 3 and 5 night packages then too, regarding their flexibility concerning gluten free options.

Thanks again.