Differences between Northern European cruises and Caribbean Cruises?

FLSA20

Hello!

I've been cruising Royal Caribbean for over 10 years and am pretty close to Diamond Plus. I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you, but this isn't my first cruise either. All of my sailing has been in the Caribbean. My last sailing was June 2015.

I'm booked (in a GS) on Royal's upcoming Arctic Circle Cruise. Not only is it my first time cruising in Europe, it's my first time going to Europe (I've never had the time and the money at the same time!).

I'm curious what "little differences" there are with the experience on the ship between sailing Europe (particularly Northern Europe) and the Caribbean. I've searched (here and on Google) but was only able to find things on the Mediterranean. Examples (more is welcome):

• Is embarkation / disembarkation the same?
  • Are procedures different in ports?
  • Are there differences with meals (quality / quantity / selection)?
  • I also bring a few items which are in the "gray area" (extension cords, Iridium satphone). I've never had issues with any of these on my 20+ sailings in the Caribbean, but I don't know if they care more in Europe.
  • Are there any differences on luggage procedures (checked or carry-on)?
  • Other guests - What's a ballpark percentage of American (or native English Speakers) guests versus other guests?
  • Anything else you can think of!

Thanks in advance!

I've not done Northern Europe, but have done Western Med and Greek Isles as well as Spain and a Trans Atlantic. Don't know what port you are going out of, but we've done Southhampton, England and Civitiveccia, Italy (Rome). No real differences in boarding procedures. Check on the "Ports of Call" section of CC.

Some things about Europe. If you are staying in the port of departure for a while, tipping is totally different than in the U.S. Most countries tips are a matter of simply rounding up the bill. Many restaurants put a Service Charge on, that is the tip. You can google the countries you will be visiting. On the ship, the tips will be included in the price of a drink. So you may see higher drink prices, but the 18% tip is already added in.

Most countries speak very good English. Hotels will give you excellent guidance around town. On the ship, my experience has been mostly English speaking passengers. You won't really see much difference in that vein. And menus are the same. I have found that European cruises tend to dress a bit better in the MDR than Caribbean cruises.

The cruise is more about port stops, less about "partying." So you will find yourself off the ship most of the time. The ship is a "hotel that moves." It's about sightseeing. So you won't really be lying by the pool, etc. You'll be catching up on rest.

Again, these are my Med and Greek Isle experiences. But have a great trip! Be sure to see as much as possible. It'll be a wonderful cruise and experience.

Thanks for the quick reply!

This cruise leaves from Copenhagen, and then heads North! I'm aware of the "ports of call" but didn't think to check it for this aspect - good thought.

We'll be flying in the day before the cruise departs, then spending 8 days in the continent AFTER the cruise - still working out the itinerary for that!

Hello!

I've been cruising Royal Caribbean for over 10 years and am pretty close to Diamond Plus. I'm not nearly as experienced as some of you, but this isn't my first cruise either. All of my sailing has been in the Caribbean. My last sailing was June 2015.

I'm booked (in a GS) on Royal's upcoming Arctic Circle Cruise. Not only is it my first time cruising in Europe, it's my first time going to Europe (I've never had the time and the money at the same time!).

I'm curious what "little differences" there are with the experience on the ship between sailing Europe (particularly Northern Europe) and the Caribbean. I've searched (here and on Google) but was only able to find things on the Mediterranean. Examples (more is welcome):

• Is embarkation / disembarkation the same?
  • Are procedures different in ports?
  • Are there differences with meals (quality / quantity / selection)?
  • I also bring a few items which are in the "gray area" (extension cords, Iridium satphone). I've never had issues with any of these on my 20+ sailings in the Caribbean, but I don't know if they care more in Europe.
  • Are there any differences on luggage procedures (checked or carry-on)?
  • Other guests - What's a ballpark percentage of American (or native English Speakers) guests versus other guests?
  • Anything else you can think of!

Thanks in advance!

My Northern European cruises have been out of UK so no experience with the port of Copenhagen for embarkation.

Procedures pretty standard in most ports. I am not sure the exact ports you are visiting but There are a lot of ports in the region that have shuttles to get out of the port and some that have restrictions on being able to just walk off the ship and into town. Those ports will have shuttles.

Meals are more European in flair. E.g. Breakfast will be more English style sausages than us style, bacon European style, more pies etc available. You will find some items you are used to and some that are more geared to the region.

luggage procedures - never noticed a difference.

You will notice a lot less Americans and a lot more Europeans including non English language. You will still find plenty of English speaking guests, and we normally notice as many Canadians as Americans on those type of itineraries. I found muster took longer though as was done in several more languages.

Formal nights are generally a little more formal than Caribbean sailings.

Have a great trip!

It is important to know there are 2 cruise terminals in Copenhagen. Langlinie and Freihaven. You will want to make sure you know which one is yours. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted. American Express less so and Discover card rarely. (on land anyway) you will be using the Euro so you'll need to realize the price you see on land is currently 15% more than the US$. The Danish people are very nice and speak excellent English. The country is beautiful.

You will leave from Fryhamn, the new port further outside. As this cruise goes only to Scandinavian countries no Euro but three different Kronors required to pay on land. Embarkation and debarkation is much easier than in the US. Tipping is not required on land but prizes are much higher. The population on the ship will be an equal percentage of North Americans and Europeans incl. UK. I prefer RCL cruises in Europe as they are more focussed on the journey and more quiet than Caribbean party and shopping cruises.

Love the tea kettle in the room on European sailing. Got me back into drinking tea in the morning over coffee. Also on US cruises no choice of types of teas, in Europe quite a variety.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am not sure the exact ports you are visiting but There are a lot of ports in the region that have shuttles to get out of the port and some that have restrictions on being able to just walk off the ship and into town. Those ports will have shuttles.

Meals are more European in flair. E.g. Breakfast will be more English style sausages than us style, bacon European style, more pies etc available. You will find some items you are used to and some that are more geared to the region.

luggage procedures - never noticed a difference.

You will notice a lot less Americans and a lot more Europeans including non English language. You will still find plenty of English speaking guests, and we normally notice as many Canadians as Americans on those type of itineraries. I found muster took longer though as was done in several more languages.

Formal nights are generally a little more formal than Caribbean sailings.

Have a great trip!

The itinerary is: Copenhagen / At Sea / Alesund / At Sea / Honningsvag / Tromso / At Sea / Geiranger / Olden / Bergen / At Sea / Copenhagen

Great with the meals - close enough to American fair for the kids in our party, but different enough to feel like a vacation!

The muster drill information is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I've got several minor medical conditions which, together, make muster drills a huge pain! I'll be sure to be physically / mentally prepared.

GOOD with formal nights! I won't get my hopes too high, but I'm tired of people wearing jeans / shorts and tee shirts to MDR on formal nights. If you want to do that there's windjammer or room service!

It is important to know there are 2 cruise terminals in Copenhagen. Langlinie and Freihaven. You will want to make sure you know which one is yours. Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted. American Express less so and Discover card rarely. (on land anyway) you will be using the Euro so you'll need to realize the price you see on land is currently 15% more than the US$. The Danish people are very nice and speak excellent English. The country is beautiful.

On another thread someone said "FYI - The ship docks at the new Oceankaj, which just opened last year". Thanks for the info with the credit cards - I've got an Amex, MasterCard, and Visa all with no foreign transaction fees so I should be able to make it work! I know in the Caribbean US Cash is so widely accepted I've never bothered exchanging it to local currency. If I do exchange to local currency - any suggestions on the best places to do that (lowest fees, etc.)?

You will leave from Fryhamn, the new port further outside. As this cruise goes only to Scandinavian countries no Euro but three different Kronors required to pay on land. Embarkation and debarkation is much easier than in the US. Tipping is not required on land but prizes are much higher. The population on the ship will be an equal percentage of North Americans and Europeans incl. UK. I prefer RCL cruises in Europe as they are more focussed on the journey and more quiet than Caribbean party and shopping cruises.

This is great to hear. I've only had "issues" in the Caribbean during spring break (which I now make sure to avoid), but am definitely NOT there for a party atmosphere or shopping so that will be appreciated.

I found when they have port talks on the ships, it is information about the port not about shopping like in the Caribbean.

Great! I'm tired of the shopping nonsense! I am not a shopper.

Love the tea kettle in the room on European sailing. Got me back into drinking tea in the morning over coffee. Also on US cruises no choice of types of teas, in Europe quite a variety.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is a nice change. Thanks for the reply!

The views getting into those ports are great.

Even better going up the Gerenger fjord or back down if you have a Norwegian captain as they will have you on deck telling you of all the waterfalls sights etc you go past.

Check you have blackout curtains asit will not get dark at night where you are going a bit of dusk perhaps but who knows you might glimpse the Northern lights right up at the top of the world.

The itinerary is: Copenhagen / At Sea / Alesund / At Sea / Honningsvag / Tromso / At Sea / Geiranger / Olden / Bergen / At Sea / Copenhagen

On another thread someone said "FYI - The ship docks at the new Oceankaj, which just opened last year". Thanks for the info with the credit cards - I've got an Amex, MasterCard, and Visa all with no foreign transaction fees so I should be able to make it work! I know in the Caribbean US Cash is so widely accepted I've never bothered exchanging it to local currency. If I do exchange to local currency - any suggestions on the best places to do that (lowest fees, etc.)?

On the ports of call board there is someone who lives in Alesund - iCruiser - his advice is invaluable! The thread is quite long, but so much information about the area.

There is also someone who lives in Copenhagen - same thing - excellent advice available! Yes RC uses the Oceankaj terminals.

So - the advice I have gleaned is that the best location to get cash is at ATM's - they are all over the place and have the best rates.

You will be able to use your credit cards for quite a bit, less need for cash.

Some unmanned locations would need a card with a chip and PIN - but you usually can find someone to physically run the card if you have no pin.

Similar to others, our European cruise experience was an Eastern Med cruise 3 years ago. Talking to some others at dinner, we were told that there were people from 66 nations on board, so you get a wide variety from all over. Makes it interesting and fun. The vast majority that we came across spoke very good English, though one night at dinner we sat with a family from Sweden. The husband spoke excellent English, but his wife and daughter had almost no English. I felt quite sorry for them, as our Swedish is nonexistent!! This sounds like a fantastic cruise! Enjoy.

I've done two cruises out of Copenhagen. Embarkation and debarkation are the same, and the procedure in ports was very simple with the exception of Russia, but you aren't going to Russia.

The sun was up most of the time when we were there, but the curtains were very effective at blocking out the light.

The meals are the same, and I had no trouble bringing a plugging strip aboard in my carry-on bag.

I would say less than half the passengers were American, but most were English-speaking. I met lovely people from many countries.

You are most welcome.

If you have any issues with medical conditions getting through a long muster, I would recommend contacting special needs at sea in advance. I have seen numerous times where they allow some people with medical conditions to leave before the end, or allocate you to a more comfortable location for the muster.

I hope you have a great cruise:)

We embark on May 8 for a TA and then Western and Northern Europe, Russia and followed up by Canary Islands.

The biggest change for you IMHO is European cruises are very busy, and be sure to pack warm clothes. Check the temperatures for the ports you will be visiting so you don't get caught without warm enough clothing.