First timer "stuff"

Emsybell

Hi Everyone! I'm a little (ok a LOT) confused and just want to ask a few (probably rambling) questions.

Basic info: My hubby and I are booked on the 6/25 Gem cruise from NY to Florida and Bahamas. I really wasn't sure what to book when I reserved, and after factoring "deals" (free drink package) we wound up with the guaranteed balcony. This trip probably won't be a ONCE in a lifetime event, but it's definitely going to be one of our biggest/most luxurious experiences. I have pretty much booked everything I can ahead of time (romance and anniversary packages- it's for our tenth anniversary- meal package, thermal passes and service fees). Final payment has been made and now I notice that we have been assigned a cabin (8028). I read up on rooms in that area and they don't sound the greatest... So my question is this:

Is that definitely the room we will have or is it possible it may change as we get closer to the cruise?

If I don't want to take the risk, can I upgrade?

If I do upgrade and go to a mini-suite that has 2 free offers, can I drop my prepaid meals or do I have to keep it (in which case I guess I'd just pick another freebie).

Would I be charged anything for making changes at this point (not downgrading or cancelling)?

I'm sorry for such a weird post, but I really just want this trip to be the best and I will do whatever I need to to ensure that (within reason)!

Thanks in advance!!![emoji3][emoji925][emoji924]

Why are you worried about cabin 8028 on the Gem? I think you will have a blast and be absolutely fine! Sometimes guarantee cabin assignments are MUCH worse than 8028!

You are forward on the starboard side. You have cabins above you and not a pool deck, etc. that can wake you early. Unless you turn in before 10:30 or so, the Stardust Theater below you shouldn't be too much of a worry. They have two shows a night but otherwise it is pretty quiet. Being forward of the forward elevators means less foot traffic past your door and hallway noise too.

I would easily choose that cabin if I had a choice!

Some people prefer to be midship because of movement, but we've been forward, midship and aft and have always loved our cabins on NCL. For us, noise can be an issue, so not having something noisy ABOVE us matters, like a buffet or the pool deck, because they can have noise very early in the morning from cleaning and moving of chairs.

To get a better cabin than your balcony cabin you would have to step up to suite level. The "mini-suite" category that is above your level has almost the same size cabin but a larger bathroom (with a small tub). We sailed in one and thought it was fine, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 total for the week for one over a regular balcony.

You will be on the starboard side so you relax on your balcony and sail past the Statue of Liberty ... a great way to start a cruise! You guys are going to love this!

Hi Everyone! I'm a little (ok a LOT) confused and just want to ask a few (probably rambling) questions.

Basic info: My hubby and I are booked on the 6/25 Gem cruise from NY to Florida and Bahamas. I really wasn't sure what to book when I reserved, and after factoring "deals" (free drink package) we wound up with the guaranteed balcony. This trip probably won't be a ONCE in a lifetime event, but it's definitely going to be one of our biggest/most luxurious experiences. I have pretty much booked everything I can ahead of time (romance and anniversary packages- it's for our tenth anniversary- meal package, thermal passes and service fees). Final payment has been made and now I notice that we have been assigned a cabin (8028). I read up on rooms in that area and they don't sound the greatest... So my question is this:

Is that definitely the room we will have or is it possible it may change as we get closer to the cruise?

OP: first, congratulations to you and your DH on your anniversary!

As for your cabin, I'm not sure whether you are aware of this, but the balcony cabins on Deck 8 of the Gem are "hull" balconies; that is, they are partially enclosed/framed by the hull of the ship. See photo below; Deck 8 is lowest deck of balconies shown. (This is also true of the very forward balcony cabins on Decks 9 and 10.) Some folks like them (especially on cold weather cruises, which yours won't be), some don't.

I don't know whether this will matter to you, but if it does, you should explore your options. We don't book guarantees, so I don't know whether you can ask to be re-assigned to another balcony category cabin. If the answer is no, and you would prefer a non-hull balcony, then you should consider whether you can pay to change. I just did a quick search, and it appears there are a number of balcony cabins available on your sailing on Decks 9 and 10.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

Gem%20starboard_zpsufsuquvf.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Contact your travel agent or NCL directly and ask if you can change your stateroom. If others are available in the same category that you have been assigned, you may be able to trade for a different room.

When we booked a minisuite guarantee on the Epic, we contacted our travel agent after our stateroom was assigned to see if we could switch. After discussing our options, we actually stuck with our assigned cabin and had a wonderful time.

First of all I am surprised they already assigned you a room. Usually they don't assign a room on guarantee rooms till your a week out. Check with your TA and check if that is right that they assigned you a room already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First of all I am surprised they already assigned you a room. Usually they don't assign a room on guarantee rooms till your a week out. Check with your TA and check if that is right that they assigned you a room already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guarantee cabins can be assigned ANY time after booking. When we booked a MX cabin, I believe that our cabin number was assigned 45+ days prior to sailing.

Have the promos changed since you booked? Sounds like you got "Pick One" with your balcony. When I booked recently, I got a Pick One with an inside cabin and it would have been Pick Two with a balcony. I'd check and see what your options are. Depending on current cabin prices, it might even be worth a cancel and rebook in order to get the two promos. And yes, if you do end up with a pick two and want the dining package, NCL can hopefully adjust any current reservations to reflect the package and refund any charges to you.

I called NCL this evening. It took many different calls and a long hold time (last day of the month?) but I was finally able to have our cabin moved to 9016. Is that an improvement? I sure hope so!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app