Transatlantic on the Getaway

Petals22

I am considering booking a cruise on the Getaway for Oct 2017. She is leaving from Copenhagen and traveling to Miami via the Azores, St Martin and St Thomas. My husband is balking at the idea. Says it will be cold cold cold for most of the trip. I of course said wear a jacket.:cool: Any have any experience cruising the Atlantic in October? thank you !

I am considering booking a cruise on the Getaway for Oct 2017. She is leaving from Copenhagen and traveling to Miami via the Azores, St Martin and St Thomas. My husband is balking at the idea. Says it will be cold cold cold for most of the trip. I of course said wear a jacket.:cool: Any have any experience cruising the Atlantic in October? thank you !

Hopefully you would have better luck than we did. We had a wonderful cruise through the Greek islands and Mediterranean and then headed for NY. We hit a storm that they tried to avoid, but they had to shut down all the restaurants, pools, spa, etc. All the bottles on their shelves came off and broke. We were in our rooms for two days and they brought us cold sandwiches. We were never so glad to see New York when we finally got there. Thought I would never do a TA again, but here we are booked for the Getaway when it goes to Denmark in April and May. Hoping weather is better this time.

We've done three westbound TAs in the fall (late Oct/early Nov), including this past fall from Southampton directly to NY. That northern route was chilly as expected. While no one can predict the weather, I think you should expect chilly temps for the first part of your crossing leaving from Copenhagen, until you get to a warm part of the Atlantic. (Our southern crossing two years ago in late Oct. from Civitavecchia to FLL was beautiful and warm as soon as we left the Med, all the way across the Atlantic.)

We love TAs!

I did Dover to Miami and our second port stop was cancelled because of the remnants of some hurricane. But it was WARM!!!

Capris and a top for Lisbon, and then once you're past the Azores you follow a southerly route. I didn't pack any shorts and was really regretting it. So for packing a pair or two of pants, capris and shorts and then long sleeved t-shirt, windbreaker jacket, and then lots of short sleeved tops.

We've been on 3 westbound TAs:

Epic Oct 2011 - Barcelona - Azores - St. Thomas - Miami - 13 days

great weather from Azores onward - warm and sunny days

Epic Oct 2012 - Barcelona - Azores - St. Thomas - Miami - 13 days

--- ditto --- but more warm days than previous

Escape Oct 2015 - Southampton - Miami

too cool for our liking - but it warmed up the last 2-3 days (out of 10 days) - we dined on the Waterfront only once

We're booked on the next two WB TAs:

Jade Oct 2016 - Barcelona - 5 ports - Tampa - 14 days

- and-

Getaway Oct 2017 - Copenhagen - Azores - St Maarten - St Thomas - Miami - 14 days

The latter should the good - we hope to be able to use the waterfront more - after Azores!!