Getaway or Epic

RMac713

Trying to find a replacement for a Disney cruise spring break. Am taking another one in July (maybe) and don't need two Bahamas cruises.

I have a list of Carnival Magic western, Celebrity Reflection western, or NCL Epic OR Getaway western.

Without debating Carnival or Celebrity, my TA brought up concerns about both NCL ships: Epic's bathroom and Getaway's smoke wafting into the 687 area. I would either be in a regular or spa balcony room.

Which would you recommend for a couple in their early 50s, and are there decent adult-only areas on these ships? I'd like at least one pool that kids can't get into. We raised our kids already!

Hmm, well, I've been on both ships. I like Epic just a tiny bit better, but that's truly splitting hairs. The bath area on Epic is not a big deal to me. I think of it more as 3 people can do their own thing in the shower, toilet and at the sink rather than 1 person hogging the entire bath. It is what it is.

I prefer the adult area and pools on Epic. The adult pool is just too deep (7 feet give or take a few inches) on Getaway. Epic has an adults only pool in Spice H20. It's kind of warm, but not as hot as a hot tub. The getaway's Spice H20's water feature is just that... a feature. You kind of sit in it or walk through it. Nothing to get excited over.

Hubby was only on Getaway and he's the SMOKE freak. He hates smoke. He never mentioned it. It seems worse on the pool deck of any ship if you're forced to walk through their stink.

Either ship is o.k. We have sailed on the Epic 4 times and GA/BA/Escape 5 times. Epic bathrooms are unusual, but have not kept us from sailing on the ship. The Epic has just come out of a 3 week dry dock, so most of the public areas have been refreshed. The GA is a newer ship with features that NCL feels meet the contemporary cruisers (waterfront dining, ropes courses, fast water slides).

Epic sails out of Port Canaveral (so there is more time spent getting around Florida) vs. GA sailing out of Miami.

We would pick the GA

Not sure what dates for Spring Break but I would steer clear of any NCL ships during this time if you're looking for a quietier setting. Families are attracted to these ships especially when they can book the ksf or 3 or 4th passenger sails free promotion. Also many amenities that attract kids such water slides, rope courses etc.

We were on the Escape 2/13/2016 and it seemed as if 1500 or more kids were on board, even a high school band. Kids playing football in the elevator lobby, traveling in packs, crowding the pools and hot tubs just made it feel chaotic. We cruise with our grandkids so not against kids cruising (doing Getaway 1/2017 with them) but it you're looking for a more adult cruise I would not choose NCL during this time. So much floor space is dedicated to private spaces such as VIBE, Haven etc that the public spaces can feel crowded at times. JMHO

We've sailed Epic and the Away ships and like the Away layout a bit better.

My choice would be Celebrity during Spring Break. There will still be kids but the adult only pool is great on Celebrity.

Edited by tartan cruiser