Spirit cruise 2017.

Hi, I'm new to Cruise Critic as we are going on our very first cruise in Feb 2017. I am wondering who here has been on the Carnival Spirit ship anytime there is not school holidays, especially Feb? I have a 15 yr old son who is turning 16 on the cruise and we are wondering if there are alot of kids on this cruise due to it not being school holidays in Feb? I guess I am hoping for a balance where there will be enough kids for him to talk to, but not too many that will ruin the cruise as I am turning 40 the day after my son and was hoping for a semi relaxing trip. I know it is a family ship and know there will be little ones running around, is there alot in Feb? Was anyone put off from going on another trip with carnival due to too many kids running around? Are there staff to keep the kids out of the Serenity part for adults?, As I think this could be disappointing if they are allowed to be in that area. I am also wondering about Noumea and money, I have read they don't take anything but Francs there, I think its Noumea anyway? How does one go about changing money to Francs? My sister is wondering if anyone has done NOUVEAU, how much did it actually set you back, does the $40 cover the food or just as a reservation type thing? Also, if anyone did cruise in Feb, was it very windy or rainy on the islands like Noumea and Lifou? OK, I think I'm done for now, I am soooo excited about this cruise, I think I'm becoming obsessed with it, lol, watching heaps of Youtube videos on cruises and what not! Thank you in advance for any info given.:)

Hi, I'm new to Cruise Critic as we are going on our very first cruise in Feb 2017. I am wondering who here has been on the Carnival Spirit ship anytime there is not school holidays, especially Feb? I have a 15 yr old son who is turning 16 on the cruise and we are wondering if there are alot of kids on this cruise due to it not being school holidays in Feb? I guess I am hoping for a balance where there will be enough kids for him to talk to, but not too many that will ruin the cruise as I am turning 40 the day after my son and was hoping for a semi relaxing trip. I know it is a family ship and know there will be little ones running around, is there alot in Feb? Was anyone put off from going on another trip with carnival due to too many kids running around? Are there staff to keep the kids out of the Serenity part for adults?, As I think this could be disappointing if they are allowed to be in that area. I am also wondering about Noumea and money, I have read they don't take anything but Francs there, I think its Noumea anyway? How does one go about changing money to Francs? My sister is wondering if anyone has done NOUVEAU, how much did it actually set you back, does the $40 cover the food or just as a reservation type thing? Also, if anyone did cruise in Feb, was it very windy or rainy on the islands like Noumea and Lifou? OK, I think I'm done for now, I am soooo excited about this cruise, I think I'm becoming obsessed with it, lol, watching heaps of Youtube videos on cruises and what not! Thank you in advance for any info given.:)

Welcome to CC I don't have much Carnival experience.

What I do about money is just use the ATM IN PORT if I need a little cash and pay big expenses on Card.

I only have one cruise behind me but I sailed on the Legend in school holiday time to NZ earlier this year and I am sure there were heaps of kids on board because we had our 11 year old with us and he met lots. Most of them seemed to be in the kids club or around the pools. There were heaps and heaps of places on the ship without kids. I suppose they don't really bother me so I don't notice them.

We went to Serenity a couple of times while Sam was in kids club and there were no children in there apart from walking in to then go up the stairs to the upper deck.

Edited by Swissmiss6253

Hi

Is this the cruise on the 27th feb ? I'm also on that one :)

I have done a 3 day cruise with my dad - also have a 4 day cruise in a few weeks to Morton island , it's great boat and good food and service - here is my review

http://www.johnsadventures.id.au/carnival-australia/carnival-spirit-nov-2015/

John

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I've taken two Carnival cruises, one in school holidays (this year) and one out of holidays (2nd of March last year).

I would say just from my experience that your wish will be granted, enough kids for your son to have fun, but the ship won't be overrun at the same time :)

I did Spirit in school holidays and there were a gazillion kids but they kept them out of the adults only area. I did a Jewel cruise outside of school holidays with my then 13yo and there were still plenty of kids for him to hang out with so I am confident you will be ok in that regard.

We did Nouveau and loved it so much we did it a second time. The cover charge covers the food. It is a three course meal and it's delicious but have a light lunch because it is a big meal. I am still raving about the lobster bisque.

Some shops (like cafes at lemon bay) take Aus Dollars in Noumea but not all. There are ATMs if you really want to buy something. Personally I would wait and if there is something you really want that you cant use a credit card for, then go to the ATM and get just enough for that rather than take francs and end up bringing them home again. Souvenir stalls in the cruise terminal take AUD.

Have fun

Suzanne

Also, I have cruised March and April and have had beautiful weather on the islands except for one rainy day in Noumea in March and even then the morning was perfect it was only in the afternoon when I tried to go snorkeling on duck island that the rain rolled in. Otherwise, not a windy day was had.

ozjohnau, our cruise goes from the 15th of Feb until the 24th of Feb. Its my son's 16th bday on the 16th and my 40th on the 17th, that's why I wanted to do it as it's around our bdays!

Great , I'm on the 10 day from the 27th feb, I'm sure they will both be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by ozjohnau

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Spirit Angel

From my experiences on the Spirit:

1. Kids in February - I expect there'll be a fair number even though outside of school holidays, but we've never had any trouble with them on our cruises. We chill out & switch off.

2. Serenity is definitely controlled (discreetly) as an adults' only area.

3. Nouveau - in addition to the evening bookings for $40 (food only), you may want to do yourselves a favour and book in for the "Long Lunch at Sea", also in the Nouveau. Only on "sea days", but you pay $30 each for 3 courses including lobster, or you can choose the seafood platter at $50 per head.

You can have the sommelier's recommended wine pairings with your dishes at $20 per head.

I know the costs can mount up, but hey, you'd pay twice as much at home & after all, it is your 40th birthday!

Full details on Carnival's website, but what a glorious way to spend a lazy afternoon at sea.

Happy cruising.

Phil