Teens & Young Adults in Florence (and Pisa) and then Rome

6Travel

Hi, we are going to be visiting on Florence on July 13th this summer - arriving via the Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas ship into the La Spezia Cruise Terminal. Then the next day (July 14th), we'll be in the port of Civitavecchia.

Our group consists of 10 people = 4 parents + 5 Adult Children (ages 18 to 21) + a 16yr old. We have a full day in each port (8am - 7pm).

We are looking to get a private tour that is fun for all ages. We would like to see the Torre di Pisa (Leaning Tower of Pisa) and are open to all other possibilities (including seeing both Florence and Pisa).

What do you recommend we do that is both adventurous and has culture integrated into it? What vendors do you recommend for providing a great experience?

THANKS!!

Most private vendors will customize your tour what ever way you want, as long as it fits in the time frame. Add the thought that you could get a discount for booking more than one tour with a vendor, I would recommend the wonderful Rome in Limo, which has a huge thread just down the board, and operates in both Florence and Rome.

Just re-read your post. Le Spezia is a ways from Florence/Pisa. Not out of the question, at all. But it will take up a nice chunk of your day making those drives.

I would hurry though...you are a little late to the private booking route for many of the vendors.

It's unfortunate and a tad misleading that the cruise lines market La Spezia as a port for Florence. Best case by private car it's two hours driving each way, and that's if you don't hit unusual traffic.

Livorno, the more usual port for Florence, is bad enough at 90 minutes each way, but La Spezia is really stretching the consumer's good will.

La Spezia is the port of arrival from which most visitors go into Cinque Terre - 5 hilltop villages looking out over the Ligurian Sea...very beautiful and picturesque. There is a great hike that many take from village to village - it makes for quite a day when going down to sea level for a meal, swim or walk around. These are fishing villages...lots of boats coming and going or bobbing about on the water.

Not sure if it is available but Pisa alone would definitely not be enough - adding on the city of Lucca would be nice - there's also Genoa....a bigger city than both Pisa and Lucca but in the opposite direction.

It's difficult to say that Florence "isn't worth" so much transit time back and forth (I might do it if I hadn't visited by land already) - Florence is beyond words spectacular but it would not be possible to even scratch the surface such a short amount of time to even try to just have a quick look around. It would feel harried and frenzied - that can be hectic.

Check out Cinque Terre or the other options but start looking right away - July is peak season and Italy is considering limiting visits to Cinque Terre due to over crowding. In Rome there are many options for private day tours and many things to see/do...everyone will have an unforgettable visit. Do a search on this board for Rome tours and you'll find all you need. I did Rome on my own or I'd offer a suggestion. Have a wonderful trip :)