Portico-Ercolano station to Herculaneum scavi

thomaskuhn

We will be stopping in Naples for the day on a friday in August and only want to see Herculaneum. I have looked all over and I can not find anyone who has started in Salerno, stopped at the Trenitalia station in Ercolano (Portici-Ercolano Station), and walked to the site. I know cruiseMom42 made a google map of the path, but has anyone actually walked from the Portici-Ercolano Station to the scavi? Has anyone ever been to the station to know if there are any taxi there?

Everywhere else I have searched has people either: 1) going to Naples to switch lines, 2) going to Pompeii to switch lines. I posted the question elsewhere and everyone seems to confuse the station I am talking about. Everyone always assumes the only station in Ercolano is the Circumvesuviana station.

Based on CruiseMom42's map, the area looks a little shady. for a mile walk, but better than wlaking a mile in Pompeii to switch trains. It just seems simpler.

We will be stopping in Naples for the day on a friday in August and only want to see Herculaneum. I have looked all over and I can not find anyone who has started in Salerno, stopped at the Trenitalia station in Ercolano (Portici-Ercolano Station), and walked to the site. I know cruiseMom42 made a google map of the path, but has anyone actually walked from the Portici-Ercolano Station to the scavi? Has anyone ever been to the station to know if there are any taxi there?

Everywhere else I have searched has people either: 1) going to Naples to switch lines, 2) going to Pompeii to switch lines. I posted the question elsewhere and everyone seems to confuse the station I am talking about. Everyone always assumes the only station in Ercolano is the Circumvesuviana station.

Based on CruiseMom42's map, the area looks a little shady. for a mile walk, but better than wlaking a mile in Pompeii to switch trains. It just seems simpler.

You may want to also post this on the Tripadvisor forum for Herculaneum; maybe there will be someone (a local?) who can give you the info.

If you do get it, it'd be great if you share it here also.

I don't think I'd call it shady, maybe a bit seedy and run down is all.

Don't count on finding a taxi at the station, you might but you might not. The walk isn't bad, it's slightly uphill in parts but not steeply so. It's a mile, mostly along Corso Umberto to Via Pignalver.

OH wow, I was just looking the the roads you mentioned euro cruiser. Chat is a completely different path than I was thinking. I thought the entrance was to the north but it is right at the end of via pignalver. That looks a lot easier than I was expecting and much shorter. Via pignalver looks pretty narrow. Did you experience a lot of traffic on it? Do you just move to the side?

For some reason i can not edit my posts so I will post again. So here is the path I mapped out. Can people access the site through the gardens, where the buses park, or must you get tickets or enter at the main entrance? IF tickets were bought online, could you get through he gardens entrance? The reason I ask is that the walk is a little shorter.

attachment.php?attachmentid=383776&stc=1&d=1461722320

Capture.jpg.29ead8219f16dd5b472435c1a9df1981.jpg