POA - HAWAII Shore Exursion Question

areosol

Hi Everybody,

I´m planning my POA Cruise and the shore excursion with NCL are very expensive compare to other destinations. So I would like to know if there are also local companies on the port who offers shore excursion. I know this from the Caribbean cruises - When you out the ship a lot of people try to sell their tours - It´s the same one the Hawaiian islands ?

Has someone experience with that ?

Thank you very much

Tom

Hi Everybody,

I´m planning my POA Cruise and the shore excursion with NCL are very expensive compare to other destinations. So I would like to know if there are also local companies on the port who offers shore excursion. I know this from the Caribbean cruises - When you out the ship a lot of people try to sell their tours - It´s the same one the Hawaiian islands ?

Has someone experience with that ?

Thank you very much

Tom

Remember that all excursions and excursion companies in Hawaii are US companies that pay US wages, require US insurance, etc. No, there will not be vendors waiting outside the ports hawking their excursions. Roberts Hawaii is the main competitor to NCL's excursions, which are Polynesian Adventure. Roberts is in the process of buying Polynesian Adventure.

We used 2 different companies on our December POA cruise.

AdventureMaui.com for the Road to Hana tour and Roberts (rhshorex.com) for our others. Roberts will tie in your cruise schedule to what's available and they offer multi-tour discount packages.

We did a total of 4 tours and saved almost half of the NCL cost.

No personal experience with either, but both are BBB listed companies, and yes, they require payment at time of booking.

Just noted you're from Germany, so the equivalent of the BBB is "Verbraucherschutz Zentrale", I believe, so these are reputable companies.

Edited by chengkp75

I already replied to your post which was also on the Hawaii Board, but I'll just repeat here that rental cars are a very good option. They pick up at the pier. There is very little in Hawaii that is not "drive up". You can see more, travel at your own pace, stopping when and where you like, for far less than seeing these things by tour would cost. The driving is very easy.

If for some reason you do not wish to drive, there are also some private tours which provide a small group experience and are a good value compared to the ship's tours. But you need to do your research or ask for recommendations on the boards. Trip Advisor is also a good resource.

And everything was fine ? They will pick you by the cruise ship ? How about the payment, you have to pay in advance ?

Thanks

Their buses and vans are parked right next to the ones from the NCL excursions. Roberts does require payment when you book. Adventure Maui also asks for your credit card info, but doesn't put the charge through until about a week before the cruise.

Edited by tempus137

And everything was fine ? They will pick you by the cruise ship ? How about the payment, you have to pay in advance ?

Thanks

Not all tour companies pick up at the cruise ship. Roberts, for instance, has a list of tours available to book for specific ships and sail dates. Just plug in your ship and sail date and they will show you what is available to book in each of your ports. You can then expect a tour bus to be waiting at the port.

Some smaller companies may or may not provide pier pick up. You'll need to inquire with them if you do not see it listed in the website info. We have booked small group tours with private vendors who do, and also they did not collect payment until the end of the tour. Others, you may have to walk to, and is feasible if they are close to the ship. Some require a taxi or your own car to get to. We have done a 20 minute taxi to get to one, and others we have used rental cars, but then we've also been able to see other things for the rest of the day using the car.

Except for the Road to Hana, I would second the rental car option. While the road to Hana is doable with a rental, the driver will not see much on such a winding road. In addition, car companies do not want you to drive all the way around. The road becomes unpaved, narrow and hugs the cliffs. However it is beautiful in a way that is opposite of what was on the other side of the island. I like to call it "magnificent desolation." Some tour companies do go all the way around.