Extension Cord Confusion?

In the past, we have always taken an extension cord with a surge protector in our carry on, no problem. Are they allowed or not? Rccl website says prohibited - "Electrical Extension Cord" ??

chengkp75 has explained it. Do a search on his name with search term "surge" or "surge protector".

If they see your cord they may keep it. I'm guessing the rule is in place because said cord presents the possibility of overloading a circuit.

You may be able to get on with one again with no problem again but I'd like to advise you get a simple extension cord without surge protection.

Surge protectors are a fire hazard when used on board ships. There are some great explanations here on CC about that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got it, Thank-you, will now take one without a surge protector.

While a power strip without surge protection is safe, and should be allowed, be prepared to have it confiscated on RCI. While Carnival is the only line to specifically note the surge protection feature as the prohibited item, RCI has obviously taken the position that they don't want the onus of determining whether a power strip is surge protected or not on the security types doing the baggage screening, so they have placed an outright ban on power strips and cords. They will, however, provide you with one if asked, as these are inspected and tested regularly and they know they aren't surge protected and are in good repair.

They will, however, provide you with one if asked, as these are inspected and tested regularly and they know they aren't surge protected and are in good repair.

They might provide, not will. My DW and I each use a CPAP, and I both contact special needs before the cruise and our cabin steward once aboard to arrange for extension cords, and more often than not there's not one in the cabin upon arrival and we're told there are none available once we're there. Hence I always bring two of our own in our carryon for the CPAPs, and in two dozen Royal cruises have never had them questioned or confiscated. I would not count on any cruiseline to have one for you, especially if it's medically important.

They might provide, not will. My DW and I each use a CPAP, and I both contact special needs before the cruise and our cabin steward once aboard to arrange for extension cords, and more often than not there's not one in the cabin upon arrival and we're told there are none available once we're there. Hence I always bring two of our own in our carryon for the CPAPs, and in two dozen Royal cruises have never had them questioned or confiscated. I would not count on any cruiseline to have one for you, especially if it's medically important.

And, some of the cords I have received REALLY look bad, as in wires separating from the plug.