Island, Alaska NB, Starboard balcony, lots of questions

Rather new to all this - and to Princess. We cruised years ago on the NCL Starward, and about 10 years ago on a HAL ship - both Caribbean. Really looking forward to this trip.

We have friends who enjoy cruise vacations - and we will in the future take some trips with them. I particularly want to do a Pan canal trip.

Any comments on our reservations? Would we have been better off port side? We're on Aloha - Should we have picked a lower deck? Trying to learn for the next time before the first time Our reservations were made by a travel agent used by the family for years.

Any things we should definitely take advantage of on board as 2 60ish cruisers? Best bar? Best viewing area for College Fjords? Glacier Park? Recommendations for the best time for anytime dining? Best place for lunch?

Any thing we should definitely NOT do on board as 2 60ish cruisers?

Fwiw - we're probably over prepared for Alaska. We have rain jackets/pants, binoculars, cameras, and lots of clothing layers.

Any comments on whether this voyage is typically smooth or can we expect rocking?

Thanks much.

Have you thought about which month you are cruising?

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer season opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!

Is Vancouver one of your ports? Plan for 3 or 4 day stay..... it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

I loved Star Princess and did this itinerary last year

Any comments on our reservations? Would we have been better off port side? We're on Aloha - Should we have picked a lower deck? Trying to learn for the next time before the first time Our reservations were made by a travel agent used by the family for years. Starboard side is going to best on the Northbound itinerary

Any things we should definitely take advantage of on board as 2 60ish cruisers? Best bar? Best viewing area for College Fjords? Glacier Park? Recommendations for the best time for anytime dining? Best place for lunch?

The open deck is the best place to view College Fjords and Glacier Bay (I liked sitting on the promenade deck). There is a hot tub at the back of the ship on Deck 16 that is great to sit in and view the Glaciers. The Skywalker's nightclub (Deck 17 aft) is also good for taking in the scenery.

Fwiw - we're probably over prepared for Alaska. We have rain jackets/pants, binoculars, cameras, and lots of clothing layers.

Any comments on whether this voyage is typically smooth or can we expect rocking? Our cruise was very calm. The ships move slowly through Alaska because of the marine life. We didn't have a single rough day on that sailing.

Thanks much.

I loved Star Princess and did this itinerary last year

Any comments on our reservations? Would we have been better off port side? We're on Aloha - Should we have picked a lower deck? Trying to learn for the next time before the first time Our reservations were made by a travel agent used by the family for years. Starboard side is going to best on the Northbound itinerary

The open deck is the best place to view College Fjords and Glacier Bay (I liked sitting on the promenade deck). There is a hot tub at the back of the ship on Deck 16 that is great to sit in and view the Glaciers. The Skywalker's nightclub (Deck 17 aft) is also good for taking in the scenery.

Any comments on whether this voyage is typically smooth or can we expect rocking? Our cruise was very calm. The ships move slowly through Alaska because of the marine life. We didn't have a single rough day on that sailing.

Thanks much.

Aloha Deck is usually below sports deck....Jacuzzi noise in daytime, et al

We loved the Promenade deck for glacier viewing on the Island - deep deck, covered and no obstructions. Princess also has fun trivia games (listed in your daily Patter delivered to your cabin) and for Alaska you'll be treated to presentations by Libby Riddles in Juneau and I believe a captain from one of the Deadliest Catch crab boats on their adventures. Enjoy Alaska - it's our favorite itinerary!

I agree that for a northbound cruise the starboard side is the best. You will have a view of the coastline at times. You'll see "ribbons" in the hills along the coastline. Through the binoculars they're large waterfalls!

You may want to pack a strap to secure any eye wear. My brother-in-law's glasses blew off into the bay while we were cruising in Glacier Bay.

As far as the cabin location, it's all about personal preference. I like the cabins on C deck as many of the balconies are extended, half covered/half open.

Rather new to all this - and to Princess. We cruised years ago on the NCL Starward, and about 10 years ago on a HAL ship - both Caribbean. Really looking forward to this trip.

We have friends who enjoy cruise vacations - and we will in the future take some trips with them. I particularly want to do a Pan canal trip.

Any comments on our reservations? Would we have been better off port side? We're on Aloha - Should we have picked a lower deck? Trying to learn for the next time before the first time Our reservations were made by a travel agent used by the family for years.

Starboard side is fine. It doesn't normally make much difference which side of the ship you are on.

The Aloha deck should be fine, and offer you easy access to the upper deck viewing areas.

Bars - Wheelhouse and Crooners

Viewing - The best are the upper decks 15 & 16 where you can walk around and get different views. Deck 16 also has a bar and the grill where you can get a drink and some food. Hot drinks and buffet food are one deck below on deck 14 forward. Other viewing areas are the promenade deck and maybe the areas all the way forward on decks 11 and 10 if the captain has those doors open.

ATD - Normally early dining is crowded. You have to arrive around 5:30. After 7:30 it is normally easy to get a table. Tables to share are easier to get than tables for two.

Lunch - The DR is open for lunch on seas days, closed on port days. The schedule is in the Princess Patter. Also on sea days there could be a Pub Lunch in the Wheelhouse Bar or maybe in the Bayou Steakhouse. Check the Princess Patter. The Grill and the Horizon Ct. buffet are also open all day for lunch and dinner. I have read on these boards that there may be Alfredo's (individual pizzas), served in Sabatini's on sea days. Check it out. There is also pizza by the slice by the Lido Pool.

Don't be afraid to try any activity. Everything can be fun.

When you leave the ship note the latest "all on board time." Do not be late allow enough time to get back to the ship. Read the Princess Patter each day to plan what you wish to do.

Any comments on whether this voyage is typically smooth or can we expect rocking?

Inside passage is smooth. It can be rocky crossing the Gulf of Alaska

Thanks much.

see above

On a northbound itinerary I would choose a starboard side cabin, the scenery is just so much better to starboard. For your Glacier day some will argue that a port side is better for the narration, however if you really want to see the glaciers you really need to be out on deck walking around.