Jewel Birthday Dinner

fmigali

We are sailing on the Jewel in November for my wife's birthday. We have three nights of specialty dining and want to use one of those on the night of her actual birthday.

We are curious which restaurant would be the best for her birthday dinner?

I should note, we are sailing with our two kids (2 and 5 years old) and my father and his girlfriend.

Edited by fmigali

What kind of food does she like? Are you looking for a romantic atmosphere?

So funny, I was literally just editing my post because I knew it was missing info. She/we are not picky eaters at all but we love "good" food. We are sailing with our kids, my dad and his girlfriend.

I usually have my birthday dinner in either Cagney's or La Cucina.

We LOVE (especially DW) Italian food but we've been reading some consistently poor reviews of La Cucina. What are your thoughts?

I eat at least one meal and some times as many possible every cruise (29 and counting) in La Cucina.

You can ask that pasta be cooked in olive oil rather than the sauces, if you are weight or dietary issue.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise. There might people on Roll Cal who can make suggestions as well.

Enjoy

I eat at least one meal and some times as many possible every cruise (29 and counting) in La Cucina.

You can ask that pasta be cooked in olive oil rather than the sauces, if you are weight or dietary issue.

Have you joined the Roll Call for your cruise. There might people on Roll Cal who can make suggestions as well.

Enjoy

Yes I did join the roll call and I will post the same message over there, great idea!

With young children I would suggest La Cucina. The atmosphere is relaxed and family oriented. Service is excellent and everyone goes out of their way to ensure you enjoy your meal. We've always found the food to be very good and recommend the rib eye.......every bit as good as Cagney's without the extra dollars.

Le Bistro is also a favorite and I think it's geared more toward adults. Children are welcome, but it's more formal and I find La Cucina more flexible.

Edited by kcwingwalker

We LOVE (especially DW) Italian food but we've been reading some consistently poor reviews of La Cucina. What are your thoughts?

I love Italian but I am not a fan of La Cucina. We received a free dinner there at the past guest party on our last NCL Jewel cruise. We weren't planning on eating there since we didn't like it much on our first NCL Jewel cruise. We ended up going because it was free but we were glad we didn't pay for it or we would have been disappointed. We did go to Moderno's for our 25th anniversary dinner and loved it. I can't comment on the other specialty restaurants on the Jewel since we didn't try them.

I love Italian but I am not a fan of La Cucina. We received a free dinner there at the past guest party on our last NCL Jewel cruise. We weren't planning on eating there since we didn't like it much on our first NCL Jewel cruise. We ended up going because it was free but we were glad we didn't pay for it or we would have been disappointed. We did go to Moderno's for our 25th anniversary dinner and loved it. I can't comment on the other specialty restaurants on the Jewel since we didn't try them.

So we have three special restaurants that were included in our deal. I have already talked DW into Moderno and Cagney's. I am guessing she won't want another steakhouse type restaurant but who knows. Thanks for your input. :)

personally I would choose the "La Cucina"

Once you made the Reservation, let the Restaurant staff/waiters on the day know that your wife has her birthday

I have searched the La Cucina menu online and it appears there are multiple versions on this menu. One of them was even A-La-Carte. Does anyone know which one the Jewel has?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP: If you just want to have a really nice dinner with your wife on her birthday (maybe grandpa and girlfriend can have an evening with your kids that night), I would recommend Le Bistro. (But it's not a kids place, so not a good choice with little kids.)

We ate once in La Cucina on an NCL ship; it was years ago and so bad we've never gone back.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Turtles06

personally I would choose the "La Cucina"

Once you made the Reservation, let the Restaurant staff/waiters on the day know that your wife has her birthday

Have you eaten at La Cucina recently? I have read many poor reviews recently. :(

Edited by fmigali

OP: If you just want to have a really nice dinner with your wife on her birthday (maybe grandpa and girlfriend can have an evening with your kids that night), I would recommend Le Bistro. (But it's not a kids place, so not a good choice with little kids.)

We ate once in La Cucina on an NCL ship; it was years ago and so bad we've never gone back.

Have a great cruise!

For us, birthdays are about being with family. We will do a dinner, just the two of us, but that won't be her "official" birthday dinner. I do think we will do Le Bistro for our alone dinner. :-)

I'd suggest you ask your father and his girlfriend to watch the kids and take your wife to Le Bistro. I always go to Cagney's on my birthday dinner, but you've already got that covered, so Le Bistro is the next best choice. I grew up in a very Italian home, so La Cucina is not an option (I'd compare it to Olive Garden, and that's not a compliment). The latest menu for La Cucina is the a la carte version, by the way (although like Cagney's and Le Bistro, you won't be paying as part of the SDP.

I'd suggest you ask your father and his girlfriend to watch the kids and take your wife to Le Bistro. I always go to Cagney's on my birthday dinner, but you've already got that covered, so Le Bistro is the next best choice. I grew up in a very Italian home, so La Cucina is not an option (I'd compare it to Olive Garden, and that's not a compliment). The latest menu for La Cucina is the a la carte version, by the way (although like Cagney's and Le Bistro, you won't be paying as part of the SDP.

I checked with her, she would prefer to have dinner as a family. She is interested in others thoughts on the best place for dinner though. Great comments, so far.