Grand Princess SFO to Alaska - First Time questions

Tucker22**

I live in the bay area and have both sailed and lived in Alaska in the past. The best piece of advice I could give you would be layers. Day to day you may have no idea how warm it may be and/or whether it may rain. Thus you should be prepared to add and subtract clothing as you go. At least somewhere in there should be some water resistant clothing. First cruise to Alaska it was glorious in Vancouver and we never saw sun again. In Ketchikan DW shopped but my son and I kayaked in the rain. Still enjoy remembering it. Last cruise was beautiful weather the whole time. Also note for your packing that princess has self serve laundries on board so you can reuse some items if you do not mind doing a little wash and reduce your packing. Even SF in the summer can be chilly, remember the misquote of Twain that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in SF. The water package is a good deal and can only be purchased in advance , not on board, but remember if you bring a water bottle that is reuseable ships water is fine.

So you would want to have formal wear for formal nights, nice casual for other dinners, jeans etc for port days depending on your excursion types, possibly shorts and or trunks for the pool/hot tub. Then a jacket, a hat or two and now the big issue, shoes. Sandals are good on deck, walking shoes for out and about heels for formal night, etc. Amazingly enough it can all be squeezed together in one case if you are creative. The cruise line will not limit your luggage but the airline may or charge for it.

Hope this helps, come back with more questions

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

First cruise and Alaska -- beautiful!

We have sailed out of San Francisco for an Alaskan cruise -- many, many years ago on the original Star Princess 1989 -- our first but not our last Alaskan cruise.

We did have some rough seas -- if you think you may get sea sickness, talk your family doctor about what medication he recommends you take as he knows you better than we do -- i.e. -- what medications (if any) you take.

We have done SFO to Alaska and had a blast.

I agree on the idea of layers. Partial to that recommendation is where you are from. We live in Midwest and didn't find 60F cold in the summer months, but saw people on deck wearing down ski parkas and stocking caps. Rain showers were often and very short. We also had very nice days.

Have also been on Grand Princess on another venue and loved the ship. Does not feel as big as she is by any means. Theatre is very comfortable with no bad seats in the house.

As for water package, the tap water on board the ship is very high quality so this becomes your option. My wife carries a refillable water bottle and we never use the bottled water while on board. This is a personal preference that you will have to sort out!

Enjoy your first cruise! You will come home addicted as we all are!

PAGGS

One other thing--

first thing you do upon leaving the port is sail under the Golden Gate Bridge. Be ready to take pictures because from the pacific side of the bridge it's almost always clear. The pictures are awesome! Be at the back of the ship for the best pictures.

One other thing--

first thing you do upon leaving the port is sail under the Golden Gate Bridge. Be ready to take pictures because from the pacific side of the bridge it's almost always clear. The pictures are awesome! Be at the back of the ship for the best pictures.

Good point, I was born and grew up in the city and have crossed the bridge hundreds of times but it is always a thrill to sail out beneath it. Sometimes tho the whole thing is encased in fog. Used to love it when the lower parts of the towers and the deck were fogged in and all you could see were the upper towers floating on top of the fog.

To the OP I hope you have some time to spend in the City before or after your cruise as there is so much to see and do.

Good point, I was born and grew up in the city and have crossed the bridge hundreds of times but it is always a thrill to sail out beneath it. Sometimes tho the whole thing is encased in fog. Used to love it when the lower parts of the towers and the deck were fogged in and all you could see were the upper towers floating on top of the fog.

To the OP I hope you have some time to spend in the City before or after your cruise as there is so much to see and do.

Why SF?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42445819

When I sailed on an Alaskan cruise, I was on Celebrity and had a drink package, which included bottled water. You could just show your card at any bar and get a big or small bottle of water. When I don't have a drink package, I usually bring a case of 12 waters in my suitcase and then keep a couple at a time in the minibar fridge in my stateroom. I have never had a problem with water not being allowed.

In terms of how to dress for Alaska, the layer idea is right on. I found I usually wore a light shirt and a sweatshirt and then a fall jacket over that. I also wore a hat or headband over the ears or a hood at times (like when whale watching, fishing, or at Tracy Arm Fjord). Alaska has been my favourite cruise to date and I have been on 15 cruises so far. Enjoy!!