PWS Glacier Tour out of Whittier or Kenai Fjords out of Seward

JennAngel9

I'm hoping Alaska experts here can help us decide if we want to stay pre-cruise near Whittier (Aleyska) and do the tour of PWS Surprise Glacier or stay closer to Seward (likely Kenai Princess Lodge) and do a Kenai Fjord tour.

While I appreciate the scenery, I am most hopeful of seeing sea otters and we have a toddler in tow so I don't think we want to be out on the boat for much more than 5h, if that makes a difference. We're going late May and we'll be heading southbound past Hubbard Glacier en route to YVR.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

stay closer to Seward (likely Kenai Princess Lodge)

Just so you know... the Kenai Princess Lodge is about an hour drive from Seward. Maybe a little longer depending on traffic. If you are going to do a Kenai Fjords cruise, just stay in Seward.

I'm aware that it is outside of Seward aways. I didn't love of any of the options that were available in Seward, particularly given that we are traveling with a toddler and need some extra space. I had trouble finding B&Bs that even returned my calls, but would open to any recommendations you care to make.

It's a major part of the reason I'm considering the PWS sail, so we can stay at the Aleyska.

I'm aware that it is outside of Seward aways. I didn't love of any of the options that were available in Seward, particularly given that we are traveling with a toddler and need some extra space. I had trouble finding B&Bs that even returned my calls, but would open to any recommendations you care to make.

It's a major part of the reason I'm considering the PWS sail, so we can stay at the Aleyska.

We had a good experience last summer at Bear's Den B&B in Seward. It's in a good location close to the harbor, a grocery store and other conveniences.

http://www.bearsdenalaska.com

We stayed in the upstairs unit, which would be very comfortable for a small family.

Both tours are excellent....like comparing oranges and cherries...both fruit but totally different...in general, the Tours out of Seward are heavier on the wildlife, and there are more otters in the Seward area than in the fjords in Whittier....although there are some...you will also stop by the sea lion rocks, the bird rookeries and the sal rocks depending on which tour you go on out of Seward.....like I said, in my opinion, Sewrd for wildlife, Whittier for beautiful landscapes, waterfalls and glaciers....

Both tours are excellent....like comparing oranges and cherries...both fruit but totally different...in general, the Tours out of Seward are heavier on the wildlife, and there are more otters in the Seward area than in the fjords in Whittier....although there are some...you will also stop by the sea lion rocks, the bird rookeries and the sal rocks depending on which tour you go on out of Seward.....like I said, in my opinion, Sewrd for wildlife, Whittier for beautiful landscapes, waterfalls and glaciers....

We are more interested in the landscapes, but our ship arrives in Seward.

Is there an easy way to get to Whittier from Seward?

We would have time the next day for a tour in Whittier, if it's easy to get to, without going to Anchorage and then back out.

Thanks.

I'm hoping Alaska experts here can help us decide if we want to stay pre-cruise near Whittier (Aleyska) and do the tour of PWS Surprise Glacier or stay closer to Seward (likely Kenai Princess Lodge) and do a Kenai Fjord tour.

While I appreciate the scenery, I am most hopeful of seeing sea otters and we have a toddler in tow so I don't think we want to be out on the boat for much more than 5h, if that makes a difference. We're going late May and we'll be heading southbound past Hubbard Glacier en route to YVR.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

I can't compare, but I will tell you we stayed at the Aleyska (sp?) resort and it was beautiful! We opened up the curtains and the hugh mountains were right outside your window, they also have paved walkways to go hiking. Also we used the "magic bus" to pick us up from the airport and drove us to the resort and then picked us up the next morning for 26 glacier tour, which was great! Don't know/think if the magic bus picks up anymore - I emailed them last wk but didn't get a response - I think you would enjoy the resort - also they have the resort has a shuttle that will take you to this hamburger place (forgot the name) and come pick you up - really good as well

I think the shortest tour in Seward is 6 hrs, other than the Bay tour which isn't really worthwhile IMHO. Also, even on a nice day, there's a rough stretch when the boat enters the Gulf of Alaska.

The PWS tours are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 hrs so Whittier might be a better option for you since the cruise time was important to you. PWS has calmer waters which might be another positive.

I've only done the kenai cruises so sorry, can't offer a comparison.

Alyeska Resort is a lovely spot. And if the weather's bad you can always hang out at the pool. It's also very close to the Wildlife Conservation Center and to Byron Glacier if you want to play in the snow.

This trip report from BrusselsGirl has some great photos of the PWS cruise ... they did a private tour with Lazy Otter and had wonderful weather. And they saw otters ! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093748&page=4

I think the shortest tour in Seward is 6 hrs, other than the Bay tour which isn't really worthwhile IMHO. Also, even on a nice day, there's a rough stretch when the boat enters the Gulf of Alaska.

The PWS tours are 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 hrs so Whittier might be a better option for you since the cruise time was important to you. PWS has calmer waters which might be another positive.

I've only done the kenai cruises so sorry, can't offer a comparison.

Alyeska Resort is a lovely spot. And if the weather's bad you can always hang out at the pool. It's also very close to the Wildlife Conservation Center and to Byron Glacier if you want to play in the snow.

This trip report from BrusselsGirl has some great photos of the PWS cruise ... they did a private tour with Lazy Otter and had wonderful weather. And they saw otters ! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093748&page=4

I can speak with some experience on this since my wife has worked for boat tour companies out of Whittier and Seward.

One thing to keep in mind is that the waters past Resurrection Bay in Seward can get a little rough depending on the weather. I was on a whale watching trip two weeks ago and things got a little dicey for some passengers. A six hour trip into Kenai Fjords National Park is beautiful but the weather and conditions of the seas can be an issue.

The tours out of Whittier have calmer waters and the focus is on glaciers. You can take a shorter trip to Blackstone Bay or the longer tour through Esther Passes to Surprise Glacier in Harriman Fjord. There are plenty of otters on the longer trip to Surprise.

Thank you so much everyone. Since I originally posted, I've been hit pretty hard with morning sickness so I think the calmer waters of PWS are going to be the deciding factor for this trip. It's also really helpful to know that you don't get to a lot of the highlights in Kenai without a very long sail.

Mapleleaves, I hadn't seen much about Byron Glacier but our toddler has never seen snow and I think it would be exciting for the whole family (for a few minutes at least!)-- we will have a rental car, is it easy to drive/hike to? Thank you for the link to the trip report-- I'm almost afraid to share it with the family as those are some incredible photos that might raise expectations too high. ;)

Chenega- Thank you for the additional information comparing the tours. I think we're going to try to do Surprise Glacier. Is that the same as the 21 (26?) glacier tour?

GeezerCouple-- I know that on some days you can get around from Seward to Whittier by Alaska Railroad, but we're traveling before peak season so it's not available. Some of the experts around here might know of better options.

Thank you so much everyone. Since I originally posted, I've been hit pretty hard with morning sickness so I think the calmer waters of PWS are going to be the deciding factor for this trip. It's also really helpful to know that you don't get to a lot of the highlights in Kenai without a very long sail.

Mapleleaves, I hadn't seen much about Byron Glacier but our toddler has never seen snow and I think it would be exciting for the whole family (for a few minutes at least!)-- we will have a rental car, is it easy to drive/hike to? Thank you for the link to the trip report-- I'm almost afraid to share it with the family as those are some incredible photos that might raise expectations too high. ;)

Chenega- Thank you for the additional information comparing the tours. I think we're going to try to do Surprise Glacier. Is that the same as the 21 (26?) glacier tour?

GeezerCouple-- I know that on some days you can get around from Seward to Whittier by Alaska Railroad, but we're traveling before peak season so it's not available. Some of the experts around here might know of better options.

Yes, the Surprise Glacier is the 26 Glacier tour. They also run a shorter one to Blackstone Bay but the Surprise Glacier is their top trip. Phillips Cruises and Major Marine both do fantastic jobs on these trips. The glacier picture below was taken on one of the tours in Prince William Sound.

Edited by Chenega

Byron Glacier is easy to drive to.... stay on the Seward Hwy and take the Portage Valley turnoff, as if you were going to Whittier or Portage Glacier/Lake. The turnoff is maybe 10 miles from Girdwood. The hike is pretty flat, a wide trail, maybe 2 miles RT.

There are photos and hike description in this blog:

familytravel.everything-everywhere.com/2013/08/byron-glacier-alaska-a-family-friendly-hike-between-anchorage-and-seward

p.s. here's a map of the Seward Hwy. Follow the hwy south of Anchorage, and you'll see Girdwood and Alyeska. Just south of that is Portage and just a bit further you'll see the Portage Valley Rd to Whittier. Byron trailhead is about halfway to Whittier or about 5/6 miles.

http://www.themilepost.com/pdfs/highways/sewardhwy_map.pdf

Edited by mapleleaves
map