Liberty problems

Galveston has two ships on Sunday, and two Carnival every other Saturday. In the past we've had three different lines on a few days.

The difference is they are against solid docks, same side and some distance apart. The force of the thruster wash is against the bulkhead and not another vessel. That's a very different scenario than what happened in Progreso.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Now that I've seen the video, the Naval vessel being on the opposite side of a dock on pilings changes things. Whenever a ship leaves in a situation like this, the remaining ship should always have their propulsion on line and hands standing by to tend mooring lines. This is pretty standard "good seamanship".

Now that I've seen the video, the Naval vessel being on the opposite side of a dock on pilings changes things. Whenever a ship leaves in a situation like this, the remaining ship should always have their propulsion on line and hands standing by to tend mooring lines. This is pretty standard "good seamanship".

When I saw the video, it appeared that thruster was full on and wondered if it was compensating for the bow. That was a lot of energy/water displacement! It also seemed as if the other crew were on siesta. I've been there a few times and have never seen another vessel on the other side of the dock.

You are quite the troll. How do you and your multiple accounts get to stay while others get banned for much less?

Agree. Just a bunch of nothing. It's a shame to have to sift though all the one liner shots. I did find out awhile back that one can block seeing a user's post.

When I saw the video, it appeared that thruster was full on and wondered if it was compensating for the bow. That was a lot of energy/water displacement! It also seemed as if the other crew were on siesta. I've been there a few times and have never seen another vessel on the other side of the dock.

One of my personal pet peeves against Captains is that they tend to treat thruster controls as "on/off" switches, rather than analog throttles.

One of my personal pet peeves against Captains is that they tend to treat thruster controls as "on/off" switches, rather than analog throttles.
Was there a pilot on board Liberty? I can't remember if they use one or not. If there was a pilot, it was the pilot who was in control of the ship when they shoved off the pier. Most places I've been to on Carnival, use a pilot.

Was there a pilot on board Liberty? I can't remember if they use one or not. If there was a pilot, it was the pilot who was in control of the ship when they shoved off the pier. Most places I've been to on Carnival, use a pilot.

Whether or not there was a pilot onboard (and if not, then the Captain has obtained "pilotage" for that port from the local government), the pilot NEVER is "in control" of a ship. The pilot is an adviser to the Captain on local conditions, plain and simple. A Captain never relinquishes his command of the ship, except in the Panama Canal, or when entering/leaving a drydock. The pilot, as granted by the Captain, may give orders to the bridge team, but he will never touch a control of any kind on the ship, and the Captain can either countermand the pilot or even relieve him completely, solely at the Captain's discretion. Typically, for cruise ships, the Captain will be on the bridge wing with the pilot at the maneuvering stand there when docking/undocking, and the Captain will be controlling at least the bow and stern thrusters, if not the propellers and rudders (Captain's choice). The pilot may give a command, but if the Captain feels it is incorrect, he is the one operating the thrusters, so he can adjust the response to what HE feels is proper.

Yes Chief, I saw the video too. That Mexican "ship" was no more than a small-ish coastal patrol boat. Notice the "P" before its number on the hull, and your opinion, as always, is spot-on. :)

No blame to Carnival for this. Was anyone on the bridge of that boat?

Saw a posting on "another site" that the Liberty was still in Progresso (late leaving) wondering if anything up? I can't seem to find if she left yet?

Surrounded by Mexican Military so says the source on the ship.

Seems like this info is bad then...

Galveston Carnival Cruisers

1 hr · Wichita Falls, TX ·

Bestie is on the Liberty right now... Supposed to of left Progreso an hour ago... Mexican military is all around the boat, and the captain just said it's unsafe to leave! Geezus!!

Seems she is still there... I would highly doubt a Cozumel stop tomorrow... Given the thruster issue, weather could certainly be an issue, I would,think "military" issues something more would be heard about that, no??

No Cozumel :(

They gave us $100 credit and we will stay in progreso until 7 am tomw.

Wow, 7AM? What reason (still weather)? Sorry for u missing Cozumel, that stinks! I was afraid of that when she was still there so late... I would say go have a night out on the town, but even if they let u off, there is not jack diddly squat there (during the day let alone at night) sorry for that :-(

Edited by poz222
Added

I think the real shocking discovery about this incident is:

Mexico has a NAVY ??? WHAT WHAT ???

:D:D:D

Who knew. :p

Why would that suprise you? We not only have a Navy but Army, Air Force. and Marines. And we have every branch based here in Cozumel.

There is lots to do near Progresso...head to Merida, less than an hour away by bus. Don't know about the weather down there but it is beautiful here in Cozumel.

Progresso At night?? Yes, Merida is a really great city, worked with a charity there and visited many times, kudos for defending Mexico, but let's be serious... Progreso at night? Really?