Viking Rhine Getaway Cruise May 20, 2016

prodoc

Looking forward to our Amsterdam to Basel Rhine Getaway river cruise. I am in a group of 7 that are traveling together and this is our first time using Viking although we are all seasoned travelers. We will be on the Mani. Any tips people can pass on to us would be appreciated.

Produc, look at the Roll Calls. The 2015 and 2016 Roll Calls are choc-a-block with useful info and photos. They're a great resource! When are you going? We're on the Kara in August.

Thank you. I had looked at the roll calls and didn't find our cruise, but with your encouragement I looked again, and sure enough, there was the information that I needed. Thank you for letting me know that the information was already available to me. Our Rhine Getaway cruise leaves from Amsterdam on May 20.

Thank you. I had looked at the roll calls and didn't find our cruise, but with your encouragement I looked again, and sure enough, there was the information that I needed. Thank you for letting me know that the information was already available to me. Our Rhine Getaway cruise leaves from Amsterdam on May 20.

The normal Cruise Critic Roll Call format just doesn't work for a cruise with less than 200 passengers -- so I encourage people to create mega-Roll Calls that include all sailings on a particular line on a particular itinerary. With those, we often get up to the critical mass where the Roll Call works.

The normal Cruise Critic Roll Call format just doesn't work for a cruise with less than 200 passengers -- so I encourage people to create mega-Roll Calls that include all sailings on a particular line on a particular itinerary. With those, we often get up to the critical mass where the Roll Call works.

It's an excellent system! People on our 2016 Rhine Getaway Roll Call who are either on board or who have just sailed are reporting back and it's amazing. We're getting a steady stream of info (which is great for those of us who still have to wait awhile before cruising :D).

1) Read cruisinskier review on this board. Lot of info and great pics.

2) The first night or two, make sure you have a snack with you in your room. Both my wife and I woke up staving at about 2AM the first night and 5AM second night.

3) The ship does not exchange currency, but will make change for large bills for tipping.

4) Take a map of the Rhine castles. Some ships have free ones. Ours did not.

5) If you drink beer, they have about four or five kinds with the meal, but will serve what's on tap unless asked for bottled beer. Kolsh was excellent.

6) Don't always sit, with your group. Half the fun was meeting other great river cruisers. Lot of intersting people and stories.

7) We enjoyed climbing the Cologne cathedral spire. It closes at 4:30 to start the climb. After this we watched for towers to climb. Heidelberg Lutheran church had one, Strasbourg cathedral also and Speyer cathedral, we were too late at Speyer.

8) Have fun.

Viking allows ample time in each port to do some exploring on your own. Make sure you visit the Lindt Chocolate Museum in Cologne. Stop at a Biergarten along the river. Find a good bakery in Strasbourg and have an éclair. In Rudesheim, there are several nice wine shops and bakeries. We got into Amsterdam early in the morning pre-trip. If you are not too jet lagged, take a canal cruise or see the Anne Frank house. Buy your tickets on line before you go to avoid lines.

Thank you to all that have responded with such good suggestions on what to see and do. We are getting close to our trip and are excited. With the suggestions here and on the Roll Call, my husband and I are feeling very prepared. We tend to be the organizers for our group that are traveling together so all information is most helpful.