Embarkation

Monroe1955

There will come a day in the near future where the existing lounges will not be capable of handling the Elite crowd which has grown much larger in recent years. I can only wonder what they'll do.

First come, first seated?

Possibly enforced staggered boarding?

Procedural more feasible than structural (building layout change)

In October at terminal 2 wWe were in the first 1/3 of the preferred check-in line. Both lines were incredibly long when they finally opened the doors shortly after 11 am. At that time (and at least for the next 20 minutes until we got through security and I couldn't watch any longer) they only allowed the preferred check-in line to enter the building. I have no idea when the regular line was allowed in.

It was the same on the Royal Princess last January there was no platinum/ Elite lounge.

Tony

My intentions, also, were not to ruffle anybody's feathers. As much as I would love to take advantage of my preferred boarding, we're going to wait and board with my sister. I don't want to miss their expressions when they first step inside that ship. It'll be worth the wait!

In October at terminal 2 wWe were in the first 1/3 of the preferred check-in line. Both lines were incredibly long when they finally opened the doors shortly after 11 am. At that time (and at least for the next 20 minutes until we got through security and I couldn't watch any longer) they only allowed the preferred check-in line to enter the building. I have no idea when the regular line was allowed in.

It was the same on the Royal Princess last January there was no platinum/ Elite lounge.

Tony

Do you still go through security when you first enter the building. That seemed to be a real bottleneck [emoji848]

There will come a day in the near future where the existing lounges will not be capable of handling the Elite crowd which has grown much larger in recent years. I can only wonder what they'll do.

First come, first seated?

Sort of. I've been on several cruises in recent years with over 1,000 Elite and experienced overcrowded Elite boarding lounges. The overflow stands near the entrance, essentially blocking it, and then rush to be the first to board. It always amazes me how someone really needs that extra seat for their carry-on. :)

San Pedro does a pretty good job of organizing the waiting areas and is pretty strict about who goes into each lounge area. A few years ago, there was a combined Platinum/Elite lounge waiting area next to where you board the ship. Now, it's just Elite.

It always amazes me how someone really needs that extra seat for their carry-on. :)

I get quite nasty about this. I've been known to walk over to people and ask whether they really need a seat for their backpack/carry on when there are no seats. This is typically in the gate area of an airport.

But then, I've also been known to point out to a gate agent who instructed us to "wait over there in the HA seats" for a transport chair to arrive that all the seats filled. At that point, I let her be the one to run off the able bodied individuals who decided to ignore the HA designation.

We are different than most here on Cruise Critic as we go late and never have to wait. Recently in Sydney we checked out of our hotel, they kept our luggage, did the Bridge Climb and the Sydney Museum of Contemporary Art, both near the cruise terminal, went back to the hotel, got luggage and walked to cruise terminal arriving about 2 PM, No lines at security, checkin, etc, walked right onboard. This works for us as it seems to start our vacation early and makes use of the time instead of waiting in a crowded lounge to board. Going late then everyone could board at the same time. Only works though if there are things to see in the area and you arrive at least a day early.

But then' date=' I've also been known to point out to a gate agent who instructed us to "wait over there in the HA seats" for a transport chair to arrive that all the seats filled. At that point, I let her be the one to run off the able bodied individuals who decided to ignore the HA designation.[/quote']A lot of people appear able-bodied but may not be. :( My daughter is relatively young, looks perfectly healthy, walks, etc. but has a sympathetic nerve condition (RSD -- Google it) that makes walking distances or standing extremely painful. The pain is at about the highest level. You wouldn't wish this condition on your worst enemy.