Cruise Ship Magellan

Hi, just wondered if there is anyone with info on the Cruise ship MAGELLAN. I haven't heard of it but there is an upcoming cruise next year from Sydney to Tilbury in London and I'd like a little more info or thoughts from those who have sailed on her previously, please.:)

I haven't sailed on her but I have read about her.

Seems to be split 50/50 as a cosy old fashioned type ship and an old tug boat.

I have not been put off and, as she often sails from near where I live when in the UK, on my list of possibles.

Cruise Maritime are a recent addition to the cruise line business and bargains can be found. Depends what you want from your cruise. As always.

I haven't sailed on her but I have read about her.

I have not been put off and, as she often sails from near where I live when in the UK, on my list of possibles.

Cruise Maritime are a recent addition to the cruise line business and bargains can be found. Depends what you want from your cruise. As always.

Old tug boat? The Magellan was the old Carnival Holiday, so it is merely an older cruise ship with no balconies and no "bells and whistles".

Old tug boat? The Magellan was the old Carnival Holiday, so it is merely an older cruise ship with no balconies and no "bells and whistles".

I've not sailed Magellan but I have sailed similar C&M ships.

And I reckon you're both right. ;)

An elderly lady who's past her best.

No glitz, no whistles & bells, pretty basic accommodation.

But competitive prices for cruising on a budget, and some interesting ports of call.

And like all smaller ships a friendly & intimate atmosphere on board.

Those who've sailed her expecting what the major cruise lines offer will be the ones who've written the most damning reviews.

Those like Campbeltonian who do their homework, who book with their eyes open and are prepared to make allowances, are much more likely to enjoy.

JB :)

We've seen her in Spain, when Carnival passed her to Ibero Cruises, and again dressed as Magellan for C&M, in the Azores. We're very aware of her age, but are looking at her for the itineraries round Iceland.

Yes, we know there's no bells and whistles, but people we know who've travelled with the company thought they were value for money. We'll certainly try her one day.

We've booked her for next year. Great deal on 14 nights around the Baltic. Cheap all inclusive and reasonable service charge.

I looked up the ships history. Yeah, she's an old "tub" but CMV spent a lot on a re-fit and she now looks quite nice. Last cruises were on Anthem, Allure & Epic (and Harmony next) so the Magellan will be very different.

Also read the reviews. Mixed bag doesn't even come close. More negative than I'd like but fewer reviews will mean a larger % of bad reviews. I've cruised on other lines before after reading bad reviews, and never had a bad cruise, so I'm sure this one will be no different.

We believe you get out of a cruise whatever your prepared to put in so it'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main complaints seem to be the ship is creaky and noisy. Some said they couldn't sleep. One mentioned bunk beds:eek: Another frequent complaint was changing the ports of call without good reasons. Picked these up on google.

The main complaints seem to be the ship is creaky and noisy. Some said they couldn't sleep.

Yeah. That's something I've read. Guess I'm packing the earplugs!