Weather for 6 Cruising Days on Transatlantic on May 8th

Hi,

My sister and I are leaving on May 8th on the Navigator on the Transatlantic Cruise. We have looked up the weather for our ports,but we were wondering if anyone knew how to find out what the weather will be for the 6 days we are cruising to our first port of Ponta Delgada,Azores. Trying to find information to help pack.:confused::confused::confused:

Bring a sweater and a windbreaker, long pants. I don't need a weather report to know that it will be windy on the ship and the air conditioning inside is cold enough for sweaters. Depending on where your ship goes in Europe, you will need both anyway.

Afraid not. Most marine weather forecasts are concerned with sea temps, wind, and seas and swells, not so much about rain and air temps. Since there are no weather buoys in the deep ocean, even this data is limited to near shore forecasts. If you look at the temps at your last port before the TA and the Azores, and average between them, you'll be fairly close. Even looking at weather satellite photos will only give the current situation, not a prediction of the future. Bring layers.

I'm not sure how much this will help, but here goes. I just got back from a TA that started in Florida, included Azores, and ended in northern Europe (Copenhagen). The weather in Florida was tropical - 80's maybe, breezy. It stayed warm-ish and humid until the Azores. By the time we got about halfway to Azores, it was mid to high 60's but felt warmer because of the humidity. Even a shopkeeper in Ponta D commented that it was almost uncomfortably humid.

It didn't feel like the temperature really started taking on a nice chill until we left Azores and started more seriously heading north. The one constant almost the whole way across the ocean was wind. The pools and outside bars were often closed because of high winds.

This was mid-April until the end of April, so maybe add a few degrees and, of course, account for the fact that weather can change daily.

For myself, I packed a mix of clothes and ended up wishing I'd had more warm weather clothes than cold weather. I'm more comfortable inside with lighter clothes, and even when it was colder outside, I was inside. A light jacket was enough for outside (although I did see some people pretty bundled up!)

I loved Ponta Delgada. I just walked around the town for a brief time, but it was charming and clean, and the whole view of the island from the port was very nice. Seaside town with green green hills as a backdrop. Enjoy!

The only way to know what the weather is going to be this time next week, is to get up in 7 days' time and look out of the window. You will get a fair idea with the night before's forecast, but there's no accurate guide for a week ahead. You need to pack for what the weather might be, because if you pack for a specific forecast and the forecast is wrong, you'll be a bit stuck.

I have done 5 transatlantic, 4 to the east. My experience has been on the sea to expect cool weather on the decks with possibility of rain. In the ports it will be much warmer, but the cool noticeably sets in almost immediately leaving the ports. England in May is for the most part pretty cool as well. When I say cool, I mean 50-60 F.