Summit to depart Bermuda a day early

jruben18

To our surprise we each got a OBC for $15.88, for port charges or taxes. We did get an extra night there, so we really did not expect anything. Captain Kate kept us safe and that is all that really matters. Great cruise. Great Ship. Great crew.

And great fellow cruisers. [emoji3][emoji3][emoji108]But now I have to pack. [emoji30][emoji30] Don't want to leave.

I was on the Summit from May 1st to today. I did not get any port charges refunded. I met a couple waiting for a ride that told me they had received a refund of $20pp for port charges. Shouldn't everyone get the same refund? Port charges were over $200pp for 3 days in Bermuda.

We just got back from the Summit this morning. We ended up with an extra day at sea, and we docked in Bayonne around 7 am this morning. The last two days were very calm, and it was comfortable sitting out by the pool on Friday. Saturday was also calm, but a bit colder as we were further north. I get the decision to leave early. I don't fault Capt. Kate for that one bit. However, there was talk among other passengers about getting port charges back. Some got $15, some got $20, others got none. There was no official communication about the refund, and it should have been made clear and consistent for all.

I was on the Breakaway May 1 sailing that was scheduled for the same three days as the Summit. We left as scheduled on Friday afternoon at 3 p.m. It rained all day Friday and most shore excursions were cancelled on the Thursday (high winds) and Friday (rain).

The tailor in one of the Dockyard Mall shops speculated that since the Summit came in a day early, they didn't want to pay for an extra day of docking fees. There's also the possibility that since they arrived early, they probably used more gas and wanted to save it on the way back.

Regardless, our captain said "we don't know why" the Summit left early and "they have their own reasons." We had a little bit of rolling on the trip back Friday night but certainly nothing beyond one would expect on an ocean cruise.

So I fall into the camp that thinks the decision was made more for financial reasons than safety issues. But honestly, missing a rainy day at a port you've already been at for two days isn't going to ruin anyone's vacation.

We also just returned from Summit, and I'm not one of those people who love sea days, but I'm glad we left early. Everyone we talked to agreed with the decision. I'm sure there were some complainers (always are some), but I didn't hear them.

Safety reasons aside, from a passenger's point of view, there would have been little benefit to staying and sitting on the ship looking out at the pouring rain and listening to the wind whistling through the ship. It was bad enough on Thursday with the increasing winds at the Dockyard, and holding on to our hats, sunglasses, and packages was challenge enough. There is no way I would have attempted to get off the ship had we stayed Friday. If someone had a planned activity or appointment, I could understand why they would have been disappointed in early departure, but no one I met was in that situation.

I'm laughing at the above comments from the tailor. Summit did not "come in a day early." We docked early Tuesday evening because of a passenger with a medical problem. We were allowed to go off the ship that night, but by the time we were cleared, it was dark, the area was not well lighted, and there appeared little benefit for most of us. As for the gas situation, I'm not sure why Summit would have used less gas by adding an additional sea day to the cruise, but someone with more technical skills can tackle that one.

Friday was a warm, pleasant sea day and we were able to enjoy our balcony. Yes, I would have rather had a nice day exploring Bermuda, but that wasn't an option. I also would have preferred to stop in Raratonga on my last two trips to the South Pacific, but that didn't happen either because of rough weather. You win some, you lose some.

I was on the Summit as well and agree with Tricia. We had a lovely day at sea and could enjoy being outdoors on Friday as opposed to watching it rain in Bermuda. It is possible that since the Anthem storm issue in January the RCCL/Celebrity folks are more cautious about storms but it was the weather that caused everyone on both ships to miss out on enjoying Bermuda on Friday. It is not like the Summit left and everyone on the Breakaway got to stay and enjoy the pink sand beaches.

And what if the storm had been worse, visibility worse,etc. If the winds got too strong being at the pier can be more dangerous than being out to sea.

hi, we were on Breakaway last week also. I agree the 'storm' didn't seem

that bad for us, but we were certainly a larger, newer ship.

I do feel bad for the Summit folk who had to get back 2:30 Thursday, missing out

on possibility of evening visits to on shore clubs, etc, regardless of the

200 mph(!) winds on shore. I have to wonder also if it were a matter of

avoiding extra docking fees.

I do feel bad for the Summit folk who had to get back 2:30 Thursday, missing out

Sounds like two Captains had to make decisions in real time based on weather forecasts (which are good put not perfect). Two different choices were made. Both turned out to be good solutions . Passengers on both vessels arrived home safe and happy. Perfect outcome. Once you know how the weather turned out, you can always make a perfect choice. That is why Monday morning produces fine coaches who don't make calls on Sundays. Doubt port fees were a major factor but have no useful information on which to base that belief.

As for the gas situation, I'm not sure why Summit would have used less gas by adding an additional sea day to the cruise, but someone with more technical skills can tackle that one.

Like your car, the faster you drive, the more gas you burn to travel the same distance. Unlike your car, a cruise ship burns tons of fuel per hour. So if they had to travel at top speed at some point on Tuesday to get into port early, they would have used thousands of gallons of fuel they hadn't planned for under optimal conditions. And one possible way to "make up" that extra fuel is to sail back at a slower speed, which obviously would require more time.

I remember from an episode of Mighty Ships that the captain estimated the one-hour delay leaving port would mean using $25,000 more fuel to get to the next port on time (but Mighty Ships does tend to overstate things).

I hope you're exaggerating just a tad.;)