marseille

kcms4

we will be in Marseille on a Sunday in August, the cruise we are on has lots off stops which are full days, is it possible to just get off the ship and walk round Marseille or do you need to get a taxi to Marseille, will anything be open with it being a Sunday i just want to have a quick look round not spend all day here.:confused:

Yes. It is quite a pleasant port. A free shuttle should take you to the port gates, from where you can take the bus or walk to Vieux Port. It's approx 30 mins walk. Along the way you pass a very attractive cathedral, the museum by the seafront and Fort St. Jean. Then you reach the marina itself. Along the marina, there is a tourist train which will take you up to the church on the hill, Notre Dame de la Garde which offers spectacular views over the city. Same train back down to the marina and walk back to ship or get the bus.

we will be in Marseille on a Sunday in August, the cruise we are on has lots off stops which are full days, is it possible to just get off the ship and walk round Marseille or do you need to get a taxi to Marseille, will anything be open with it being a Sunday i just want to have a quick look round not spend all day here.:confused:

When we stayed in Marseilles a couple of years ago we took a ship shuttle (I think we had to pay a small amount) to the Old Port and walked up to the Notre Dame de la Garde Cathedral. It is a lovely building and the views are great. Shops are not open on a Sunday but it is still a nice port stop. You can DIY to Aix by train quite easily - but you have said that you would be ready for a rest by the time you get to Marseilles. I think that you could get a good coffee in a restaurant in the port. There will be pastry shops around. I also seem to recall a citron presee going down very well.

We were there on a Sunday this past March. If it's the first Sunday of the month, all museums are free. There is the free port shuttle just inside the port entrance or you can pay for the ship's shuttle. Vieux Port is interesting in the morning with all the fish mongers selling their catch. Bus #60 cost $2eu and will take you to Notre Dame de la Garde or can use the petite train.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are taking this cruise and wanted to go wine tasting around Provence. I found a independent company who will pick up at port and conduct a full day tour to wineries in the area. The company is http://www.provencewinetours.com. They have great reviews on tripadvisor. The catch is we need a minimum of four people. Would anyone be interested in joining this excursion? Price is 95€ a person and includes the following:

- Pick up/drop off from your ship at the cruise pier in Marseille - Look for someone holding a 'Provence Wine Tours' sign

- Private visit & tastings to 1 winery in the morning such as Château Vignelaure

- 2h free time to lunch and to visit the elegant city of Aix en Provence - on your own (lunch not included in the price)

- Private visit & tastings to 1 winery in the afternoon such as Mas de Cadenet

- Price: 95€/person with a minimum of 4 people on a group tour

- Prepayment required to confirm the booking.

Anyone interested please email Marion at mbijuduval@provencewinetours.com.

Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are taking this cruise and wanted to go wine tasting around Provence. I found a independent company who will pick up at port and conduct a full day tour to wineries in the area. The company is http://www.provencewinetours.com. They have great reviews on tripadvisor. The catch is we need a minimum of four people. Would anyone be interested in joining this excursion? Price is 95€ a person and includes the following:

- Pick up/drop off from your ship at the cruise pier in Marseille - Look for someone holding a 'Provence Wine Tours' sign

- Private visit & tastings to 1 winery in the morning such as Château Vignelaure

- 2h free time to lunch and to visit the elegant city of Aix en Provence - on your own (lunch not included in the price)

- Private visit & tastings to 1 winery in the afternoon such as Mas de Cadenet

- Price: 95€/person with a minimum of 4 people on a group tour

- Prepayment required to confirm the booking.

Anyone interested please email Marion at mbijuduval@provencewinetours.com.

Thank you!