JFK layover

Marseydotes

We will have about seven hours layover at JFK. 1:00 to 8:00. Any suggestions? We CAN use the lounge area, but perhaps a quick trip into the city? Also, we understand there is a baggage check for our carry-ons--any experience with this?

We will have about seven hours layover at JFK. 1:00 to 8:00. Any suggestions? We CAN use the lounge area, but perhaps a quick trip into the city? Also, we understand there is a baggage check for our carry-ons--any experience with this?

What airline? Where are you coming from /going to?? Personally, I had this same thing last spring. It would take too long to go into Manhattan to do anything meaningful. THEN, there's always traffic - it is HORRENDOUS going from in the city out to JFK. THEN, when you get back, you have to wait in the nasty lines to go through the worthless TSA dog & pony show. I was doing Skyteam to sky team (Alitalia to Delta). I made use of the T4 Sky Lounge. Grabbed a nap, had some food multiple times, sat outside on the SkyDeck for awhile, read… If I had wanted to, I could have taken a shower, too. I never heard of a baggage check area for carry-ons - most airports got rid of those post 9/11.

But, that is just me. Wait until you hear from others.

Many years ago (but after 911), we did leave our bags at a baggage check place in the international terminal at JFK-then it was about $7 a bag and there was only one place in the terminal. We took the airport transportation to a subway stop and went into Manhattan. The trip took a good 45 minutes. We went to 1 museum and then the long ride back to the airport to avoid rush hour riders. We then sat in the lounge and had a nice quiet drink until the plane boarded. It can be done but it is complicated, not cheap, and really only time to see one thing since you have to retrieve luggage, go through TSA, etc. Maybe options are better now but you still have to take NYC and airport traffic into consideration if you take a taxi, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't bother to leave, I'd be too anxious about getting back to the airport to enjoy much time in Manhattan, but here's some info. in case you want to try it.

If you are coming in from overseas, it can take up to an hour to get through immigration and customs and recheck your baggage. Then you are landside so you will need to go through security again which in afternoon/early evening can be crazy at JFK. This is a bit different of course if you have such things as Global Entry or TSA precheck (when the TSA precheck line is staffed, it isn't always at JFK).

There seem to be baggage storage areas at some terminals, but maybe not all:

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-shops-restaurants-services.html

The airtrain is a pretty efficient way to travel between terminals.

You'd need to allow at least an hour each way to get into Manhattan, even on the subway, and that's not guaranteed - for an 8pm flight, you'll be coming out of Manhattan in rush hour. I have found this to be a useful site:

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/

While Manhattan is a wonderful place to visit, in my experience the journey from the city to JFK can sometimes be easy but sometimes is an absolute nightmare, and you're never quite sure which it'll be.

Edited by jollyjones

I was pretty sure going to the city was not a great idea, now I'm sure! If it was on our way back home, I think the risk might be worth it, but no way do I want to miss our Baltic cruise!

On the JFK website, it mentions baggage storage in some, but not all terminals. I would imagine it will be a pretty thorough check!

Hanks, everyone!

Seven hours in any airport is rough and boring, but just not enough time to justify a trip out of the airport that may take over an hour each way.

Twice, when I've had 12+ hour layovers in London, I've checked my bags and taken the tube into town to see a show and meet friends for lunch, but I trust London's public transport system more than I do New York's - and the extra 5 hours makes a difference.

I hope you have a great cruise. K