Must do excursion for 14 and 10 year olds

csj0810

If they are really interested in stingrays...then do it! Otherwise, don't! Go to the Grand Cayman website...lots of info! Or, a guidebook is helpful!

There is no one "must do"...it's what "floats YOUR boat", so to speak! You don't have tons of time in any port, so research them, and figure out what will make your day!

Agree with the stingrays, a unique experience and something they will remember. It can get busy there so hopefully you can get an early tour.

For a jet ski option Fat Fish Adventures is excellent. A more private experience and they can often avoid the bigger crowds at stingray city and also go to starfish beach or the reef when busy. Their prices and options are listed on their site - great reviews and our fav excursion when we're on GCM!

http://www.fatfishadventures.com/our-tours/jet-ski-stingray-city-tours/

Everything I have read - and obviously everything said here - says stingrays!

We are booked for a kayak through the mangroves then stingray excursion. We booked the early tour, which leaves at 7:30am, so we can minimize the number of hours on the water in direct sun. The other tour left at 11am and I was worried about burning.

Another note - the return bus will drop you at Margaritaville if you would like - so we can have lunch, a couple beverages, and do a little leisurely shopping before returning to the ship.

Last note - my daughter and I are very fair so we have surfing shirts to wear on these excursions. We lived in Hawaii for a time (military) and they were a godsend in the tropical sun.

Everything I have read - and obviously everything said here - says stingrays!

We are booked for a kayak through the mangroves then stingray excursion. We booked the early tour, which leaves at 7:30am, so we can minimize the number of hours on the water in direct sun. The other tour left at 11am and I was worried about burning.

Another note - the return bus will drop you at Margaritaville if you would like - so we can have lunch, a couple beverages, and do a little leisurely shopping before returning to the ship.

Last note - my daughter and I are very fair so we have surfing shirts to wear on these excursions. We lived in Hawaii for a time (military) and they were a godsend in the tropical sun.

So... are you booked with FFA or through the ship???

Margaritaville is right by the port area...

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour with Nativeway. This is a good combo tour that takes you to Stingray City, then to a reef for some snorkeling and then goes to Rum Point for a little beach/food/drink time. It was well worth the price. I could live at Rum Point.

Yes Rum Point is one of our two favorite spots on the island. We took the FFA extended jet ski tour they offer in the afternoon while staying on GCM, hitting the mangroves, stingrays when no one else was there, starfish beach, the reef, and then a couple hours at RP. Great day that! If you ever return on a land-based trip we also took the free cat sail across to RP for dinner and that was a very nice evening, highly recommend that. The FFA tour for cruisers isn't quite as long as the later tour, but is still a wonderful day and the staff does a great job. Much more personal than with larger groups. Was the Nativeway a small group or larger? Nice day either way!

Edited by blue_water

Agree with the stingrays, a unique experience and something they will remember. It can get busy there so hopefully you can get an early tour.

For a jet ski option Fat Fish Adventures is excellent. A more private experience and they can often avoid the bigger crowds at stingray city and also go to starfish beach or the reef when busy. Their prices and options are listed on their site - great reviews and our fav excursion when we're on GCM!

http://www.fatfishadventures.com/our-tours/jet-ski-stingray-city-tours/

Excellent suggestion! Thanks

So... are you booked with FFA or through the ship???

Margaritaville is right by the port area...

So sorry - I spend a lot more time on the Carnival forum than here. We are on Carnival, and I caught wind that our particular ship was shortening time in two of the ports due to upgrades the ship will be getting in drydock in January. With this, we decided to book through the ship. If the port is delayed or skipped, the excursion will be adjusted or we will get our money back.

Lots of folks are successful booking through shoreexcursioneer.com. We booked our Cozumel beach day through them. There is no timeline for the beach day though so I felt more comfortable putting $5 down pp - and losing $20 total or an hour of time if that port is shortened.

Sorry I didn't clarify in my first post. Good luck with your planning. My kids are a little older than yours, but we have always had an excellent time cruising with them.

Was the Nativeway a small group or larger? Nice day either way!

It was a small group. Maybe 14 or 15 people.

I really wish they would offer a tour just to Rum Point. I have heard rumors but have no confirmed proof.

Yes we had 6 - 8 on the jet skis with FFA and that made for a nice, personal experience. Our first cruise to GCM in 2001 we took a boat out to the stingrays with 15 - 18 other folks and also shared the exoperience with 2 other boats - crowded! :rolleyes:

Consider renting a car and driving to RP next visit. Easy drive and definitely a nice day! :)