dizzy over travel protection/insurance

sockmonkeys

What company do you have? Wondering what kind of coverage their evacuation provides. I haven't seen that offered before. Thanks.

The Amex Platinum card (the $450 a year one) includes a lot of travel related coverages, but does not include medical. It does include medical evacuation coverage though. We opted into Amex's travel medical insurance years ago (possibly no longer offered) for $13 a month for the family plan (seniors are $19 a month I think). Includes up to $1,000,000 in coverage (if I remember correctly).

If it's still offered its a good option. I think we're grandfathered in though.

We use Princess insurance but just purchased Med Jet Assist after reading one of the threads on Cruisecritic. I'm remembering the number of cruises where we see an ambulance at the dock off-loading a passenger and realized I'd want to have coverage to get me home from some of the ports we cruise. Hope for the best but plan for the worst...

We always get Princess Insurance and it came in handy last summer. We were on a 10 day Alaska and I developed an infection. It required medical care on a daily basis and the staff on board the Golden was great! The bill came to over 800.00 which I had to put on the credit card. The insurance required that I submit a claim to Medicare and my supplemental insurance but neither would cover. Submitted to my Princess Insurance and received full refund. Make sure you have availability on your credit card for additional charges, such as Medical.

Princess has a conflict of interest to insure their cruises. The only advantage is Princess will insure your cruise up to departure.

A direct travel insurance provider will have better coverages and is often less expensive. Travel insurance can supplement your credit card coverages. Go direct to the travel insurance provider because if you have a claim, you will be working with them--not an aggregator website. For direct travel insurance, you need to buy within 10-14 days of cruise deposit or final payment--check each provider if you need the trip cancellation coverages.

We used http://www.csatravelprotection.com for trip cancel and post departure coverages--medical, evacuation, lost baggage, delays, etc. CSA was easy to buy from and affordable.

I didn't take the time to thoroughly research the Princess policy because we don't currently have any trips booked & thanks for confirming that Princess (like just like other insurance companies) does cover pre-existing conditions as long as it's stable for a certain number of days.

See previous post