When is best time to purchase Drinks Package

Hi all, Ive booked at cruise for March 2017 on the royal caribbean Voyager of the seas, and will be getting the beverage package. looking for tips on when best time to buy , Before leaving, credit card when on, or with American dollars on the ship.

Any advised on best ways to save from currency rate change overs when travelling muchly appreciated.

Hi all, Ive booked at cruise for March 2017 on the royal caribbean Voyager of the seas, and will be getting the beverage package. looking for tips on when best time to buy , Before leaving, credit card when on, or with American dollars on the ship.

Any advised on best ways to save from currency rate change overs when travelling muchly appreciated.

I normally buy when I first board as I have OBC to use.

I think that if you buy it before the ship leaves you have to pay that states taxes on you purchase.

That doesn't apply in Australia.

Lynchy09, keep an eye on the exchange rate. It's all over the place at the moment, and is down a few cents from what it was a couple of weeks ago.

If it goes back up to a rate that you feel is reasonable you might like to buy some OBC to cover the cost of your drinks package. Also using a credit card like the 28 Degrees Mastercard is also a good idea. This company doesn't charge foreign transaction fees and their exchange rates are excellent. be aware that many credit card companies now charge foreign transaction fees when the charge is in AUD but has come from a foreign bank.

Typically the exchange rates for buying US currency are a few cents worse than the current rate, so buying OBC wis your best bet. For example the current US exchange rate is 0.7325. Australia Post are selling USD for .7029.

Thanks heaps great information, so for OBC, can i add to my account money leading up to the sail date, so like a saving account and put money on there each week?

Yes you can put on board credit on your sea pass account.Some Australian cruises are showing 20% off drink packages at the moment so check your cruise and keep an eye on the dollar exchange rate.