Transportation

jillo9

The above post is most interesting. While there are some good points, there are some that do not correspond with our experience.

We've done 30 DCL cruises from various ports. Our most common US port was Canaveral. And, as previous poster, have used essentially every form of transportation possible.

I totally agree that DCL transfers from WDW resorts are a pain. They are not complicated, but they get us to the ship far later than we would like. If we are doing a WDW stay before the cruise, we arrange a rental car or other form of private transportation. We have previously driven our own vehicle, but sorry....15 hours of driving is too much for me.

DCL transfers from MCO are quite pleasant and reasonable. For 2 people, they are also cost effective. For a bigger group, there are less costly options. I like the luggage handling and the fact that with few exceptions, loading and transporting to the cruise terminal is efficient. Yes, we've experienced 2 big exceptions to this, but they were not "normal" cruises. And you don't have to deal with the porters.

We have only twice been "held" on a bus after it arrived at the terminal. Again, both were very unique situations--the maiden voyage of the Magic and the amazing hurricane cruise when we sailed out of Port Everglades. Otherwise, we are typically held for 5 minutes while a CM does a talk. Yeah, we get tired of that too.

DCL transfers with onboard airline check in is lovely. Unfortunately Southwest does not participate. However, with their recent price increases, it is again becoming cost effective to fly other airlines. My experience was that if you had a flight before NOON (not 2 pm), you were required to be off the ship by 8. If you had main seating which results in early breakfast, you had plenty of time for the sit down breakfast. If you have late dinner, talk to the head server and see whether they can seat you at the early breakfast seating on the last day. The other option is the pool deck buffet.

Also, you can choose different transportation options each direction. DCL transfers are priced and booked by "leg," so if you want to rent a car on the way to the terminal but use DCL transfers on the way home in order to do the onboard airline check in, that is an option.

My favorite is probably a private towncar/limo service...but that's often not cost effective for us. And again, it depends on when you are arriving (day before?, WDW first?, or flying in day of cruise?) and what your other plans are.

I am brand new to this forum and cruising. We have a family of six going mid November on the Disney Dream. We are staying at Shafes of Green for 4 days before the cruise and renting a car at the airport for our stay at Disney and then hopefully use it to go to port Canaveral. 1st question is has anyone rented a car in Orlando and dropped off at the port? Second question is my sister is flying back to CA on Friday and is hoping that the 11:45 flight from Orlando would work. I know the ship docks at 7:30 or so but how long does it take to get off the ship and out to a car rental? Thank you

I am brand new to this forum and cruising. We have a family of six going mid November on the Disney Dream. We are staying at Shafes of Green for 4 days before the cruise and renting a car at the airport for our stay at Disney and then hopefully use it to go to port Canaveral. 1st question is has anyone rented a car in Orlando and dropped off at the port? Second question is my sister is flying back to CA on Friday and is hoping that the 11:45 flight from Orlando would work. I know the ship docks at 7:30 or so but how long does it take to get off the ship and out to a car rental? Thank you

See some threads below. YMMV.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=228677

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209874

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215203

Car rental drop off is nearby, but requires shuttling over which can go great or horribly in my experience. I think it is just luck which experience you get.

As for flight out of Orlando, I'd be scared you wouldn't have enough time through the horrible MCO airport security lines.

Dropping off a car is easy and quick. The shuttle process is generally good. Yes, we have done one way car rentals several times. Hertz is close, Budget just a little farther and usually the cheapest. Thrifty/Dollar is a bit farther. Hints on returning car--drop passengers and luggage at the terminal first (it is on the way.) Then have the driver return the car by himself. He needs to remember to keep a photo ID to re-enter the terminal area. It is very easy to fit on a shuttle if you are a solo with no luggage. It can be hard to fit if you are a family of 4 with luggage! You can go into the terminal and check in while waiting for him to return Also, Budget generally runs 2 shuttles on cruise days, making them quite quick in turn around time.

Getting a car for the ride back to the airport can be a pain...depends on the lines. I recommend the same move again. Get the family in the line. But when the shuttle loads, see if there is room for one more person with no luggage. He can go and get the car and then return to pick up the family.

11:45 is FINE for a flight. DCL books people on 11:30 flights despite suggesting that people not book before noon. Depending on the airline and how she plans to get to the airport, she might be able to do on board airline check in which is well worth the $35 cost of using DCL transportation to get to the airport. They will require her to be off the ship by 8 am in that case. If she is planning to get a rental car and ride back with you, that can be an issue. It is only a 45 minute drive to MCO provide there isn't an accident or emergency on the road, but she will want to be at MCO 2 hours before flight time. If you have to add an hour to pick up a rental car, that's too tight.

FYI, we are a party of 6 and are taking a limo. The driver will stop at stores along toe way for us to purchase wine, beer, water to bring on board. Disney allows each adult to bring 2 bottles of wine on board, or a six pack of beer. We have a set time to meet and he's gotten great reviews. ALso, it is much less expensive than taking the DCL bus.

As for flight out of Orlando, I'd be scared you wouldn't have enough time through the horrible MCO airport security lines.

I didn't see if they posted what time of year they were traveling, but this could be the single largest determining factor. That and if the ship is even a little late getting in, getting through customs etc, I wouldn't risk anything before 1 if traveling during peak season. Just my opinion.

There is a difference between you booking your own flight and DCL booking the flight. If you miss the flight and you booked it, you are paying the fees/ new air fare. If DCL books the flight, they pay for it.

It is not very magical to spend an extra 2k to get home.

TSA is saying 3hrs now. Orlando security is usually slow no matter what time you are fling because of all the infrequent flyers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MCO is variable for security, check in, etc. We've had times when we needed every minute of 2 hours and other times when we breezed thru in under 30 minutes.

IF you take DCL transfers and are able to do on board check in, that eliminates the airline check in and baggage check lines.