Copenhagen Taxi

Isn't a pin used for a debit card only?

A credit card would be the new ones with the chip, but not pin?

No, most every country uses PIN and chip credit cards except the US, where we are just now switching to chip and signature credit cards.

Many, many threads here on the topic. You will be fine with your chip and signature card except in a few locations- usually unstaffed ticket machines at train/bus stations are a problem. Taxi might be a problem.

No, most every country uses PIN and chip credit cards except the US, where we are just now switching to chip and signature credit cards.

Many, many threads here on the topic. You will be fine with your chip and signature card except in a few locations- usually unstaffed ticket machines at train/bus stations are a problem. Taxi might be a problem.

Sorry to hijack but;-)

I have a chip Visa card ... I don't use a pin in US.. Will I need a pin in Europe?

Should I establish pin?

Thanks

Kerri

Sorry to hijack but;-)

I have a chip Visa card ... I don't use a pin in US.. Will I need a pin in Europe?

Should I establish pin?

Thanks

Kerri

If you weren't issued a PIN in the US at the time the card was issued to you, it is probably not a PIN and chip card, rather it is a chip and signature card, which are becoming very common in the US.

Double check with your provider exactly what kind of card you have- sometimes using a PIN on a "non" PIN and chip card gets you cash advances, which typically come with hefty fees.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you weren't issued a PIN in the US at the time the card was issued to you, it is probably not a PIN and chip card, rather it is a chip and signature card, which are becoming very common in the US.

Double check with your provider exactly what kind of card you have- sometimes using a PIN on a "non" PIN and chip card gets you cash advances, which typically come with hefty fees.

Thanks, might have been given a pin which I ignored because like you said it would be for cash advance which I never do. I do have a signature on back as well.

Thanks

Kerri

The Chip-Signature cards, which are very common in the USA, are usually accepted just about anywhere in Europe where your transaction is handled by a human. But when it comes to various automated vending devices (i.e. ticket machines, gas pumps, parking meters, toll booths, etc) a Chip-PIN card is often required. There are a few US banks that now issue real Chip-PIN credit cards, such as the Global Trek Visa issued by Andrews FCU (this card will default to signature if it is an option).

Hank

In Australia we no longer accept signatures for credit cards, debit cards. Pin only or if under $100 you can "wave" your card to automatically pay at terminal.

Has this changed since last August? We signed receipts then.

It has also been discussed that regulations like that apply to Australian issued credit cards, but not foreign issued.

We traveled last year throughout Denmark and Norway. Both our credit cards had chips and one of them I was given a pin by the credit card company, but I forgot it for my trip. I never had an issue with paying with either credit card at stores, train stations, taxi, etc. Just tell them it is a chip card but no pin. You will have to sign the receipt.

I would recommend if you have time before your trip to request a pin from the credit card issuer and remember it.