Saint John New Brunswick

Koz1

• 2 weeks later...

How far from the cruise port, where the ship docks, is the Fundy Trail? How long does it take to get to the trail? How long to drive the trail?

I'm wondering if renting a car and doing it myself is a good plan, or should I get a private tour. The price on the ship is outrageous.

Thanks

45 minute easy drive to St. Martins which is a quaint little town. That is where the Fundy Trail starts.....rent and drive. Trail is not long depending on how often you stop at lookouts....one hour?

Edited by mcgratru

• 4 weeks later...
I've seen references to some water you must wade through even at low tide to get to the caves. What's that about?

I don't know if we were there at maximum low tide, but I did have to wade through a river about 3 foot across, 6 inches deep in order to reach the caves.

• 3 weeks later...

We rented a car as planned above and went to st. Martins. Went directly to caves and it was right between high and low tides. I was able to go out to caves with very little water. About 2 hours when we came back after fast lunch at caves restaurant, fundy trail with couple of short stops, and picture taking in st. Martins by bridge. Be sure to go on tiny boardwalk next to road behind covered bridge to see 2nd bridge with 1st and faux lighthouse. When we drove by caves 2 hours later you could see the water in the way ..no way to get near them.

But to answer a question, you don't have to get there right at low tide. I'd say we got there 2 hours after that and it was ok. Just watch things carefully. Also we had to walk over some slippery rocks, maybe 10 feet total, and I decided to just walk in the water (maybe one inch at most) to be steadier.

Enjoy. We loved it.

We rented a car as planned above and went to st. Martins. Went directly to caves and it was right between high and low tides. I was able to go out to caves with very little water. About 2 hours when we came back after fast lunch at caves restaurant, fundy trail with couple of short stops, and picture taking in st. Martins by bridge. Be sure to go on tiny boardwalk next to road behind covered bridge to see 2nd bridge with 1st and faux lighthouse. When we drove by caves 2 hours later you could see the water in the way ..no way to get near them.

But to answer a question, you don't have to get there right at low tide. I'd say we got there 2 hours after that and it was ok. Just watch things carefully. Also we had to walk over some slippery rocks, maybe 10 feet total, and I decided to just walk in the water (maybe one inch at most) to be steadier.

Enjoy. We loved it.

Thank you for such a great idea! Really looking forward to it.

It took us a little under an hour. Hardest part was getting out of Saint John, especially since we left maybe 8:30 AM or so. If you need to route yourself there just use Caves or Cave Restaurant and that should work. Be sure to stay right near the water. You'll come through the covered bridge and keep going until you see the two restaurants, a beach and the reddish caves. Hard to miss. It took me maybe 5 minutes to walk to the caves from the restaurant parking area...pretty easy to see where you need to go.

Of course there's a good amount of things to do right there in SJ - including near the port.