40 Day Charter Getaway

punkincc

Anyone have info on the 40 day full ship charter of the Getaway as mentioned in the recent NCLH earnings report conference call? It was stated to be in the third quarter 2016, and it appears the last week of August 2016 and all of September are missing from the cruise listings on the website.

I don't recall a ship ever being chartered for this length of time. Hope no one already has those weeks booked. I hope this is not old news. I looked but saw nothing on the board.

I think that's old news... Getaway was chartered for the Olympics and will be used as a floating hotel for delegation support staff. It was reported that Silas Cook is going to be on it as it sails to Rio. Not sure if it will have regular staff and activities while docked in Rio as a hotel or not.

I have been told that the cast of MDQ is going. My son is in the cast and he is excited!! He has always had a dream to go to an Olympics!

That's awesome! I imagine there will be a regular repositioning cruise, someone said they talked to Silas and he said he was going to Rio on Getaway. So it seems he will be CD on that cruise.

I'm curious though if while being used as a hotel (I thought it was for staff, I imagine athletes would stay in the Olympic Village?) if the ship would still have nightly activities, and it seems like if MDQ is going to be on, that there will still be nightly entertainment as if it were a normal cruise. What an exciting opportunity for your son!

Thank you! He just got on the ship May 8th so no specific details to me yet. I will see him on the May 29 cruise. I did read however that when a Norwegian ship was stationed in Sochi, Russia for the Winter Olympics, the ship provided entertainment for the guests. I also think I remember (will go back and look at the thread) that the ship will provide rooms for members of the Olympic "family".

Edited by Seminole1975
wanted to add more info

I am sure there will be full entertainment and restaurants available as always. In the conference call it was mentioned that the ship was booked at a "significant premium" above her normal rates. Not likely to pay that for a bare bones cruise and amenities, but of course, accommodations in the area may be scarce and very pricey in any case. Those cabins may be a real value compared to what you might pay, and the amenities you might get at some hotels.