Zeebrugge to Bruges

hamish123

Does anybody know if P&O still operate a free shuttle bus to Blankenberg from Zeebrugge port. We would be grateful of any information on transport

from Zeebrugge to Bruges in early December.

Thankyou

Definitely yes. And you can then take the train to Bruges from the station just down the road from where the shuttle bus stops.

You might get your cruise card scanned on the shuttle bus, but there is no charge for any of the fares.

It is all very easy. The trains go about once an hour and are very punctual. You buy your ticket either from a machine at the station or from the ticket desk. There is an English option on the machine and the ticket clerk speaks English so there is no problem. It costs very little - maybe about 8 euro return?

In Bruges there is a walk of about 20 mins to the centre of the town and apparently there is also a bus from the station into the centre. I haven't tried this bus but I understand it is either free or a minimal fare of about 1 euro.

Edited by Scriv

You are very welcome :)

PS The time of the last shuttle back to the ship is always given clearly on the shuttle bus, but it is obviously sensible not to be relying on this one.

You are also advised not to wait until the last train back in case it is full and you can't get on. In the case of emergency, there are taxis of course.

There is also a bus from Blankenberge to Bruges, but it does take quite a while.

We went on the train in February. We were told that if we showed our cruise card at the station the fare was slightly cheaper. I think it was either 5 or 6 euros. As it was snowing the day we went, we found a local bus outside the station and took that to the main square. It was only a euro or two.

Hi Scriv

Have you found there to be plenty of available seats on the train?

Leesam

Definitely yes. And you can then take the train to Bruges from the station just down the road from where the shuttle bus stops.

You might get your cruise card scanned on the shuttle bus, but there is no charge for any of the fares.

It is all very easy. The trains go about once an hour and are very punctual. You buy your ticket either from a machine at the station or from the ticket desk. There is an English option on the machine and the ticket clerk speaks English so there is no problem. It costs very little - maybe about 8 euro return?

In Bruges there is a walk of about 20 mins to the centre of the town and apparently there is also a bus from the station into the centre. I haven't tried this bus but I understand it is either free or a minimal fare of about 1 euro.

Does anybody know if P&O still operate a free shuttle bus to Blankenberg from Zeebrugge port. We would be grateful of any information on transport

from Zeebrugge to Bruges in early December.

Thankyou

Hi Hamish, it's all here...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/15/zeebrugge-for-dummies/

Hi Leesam - it has always been very busy, but we have always found a seat in the end.

As both Blankenberge and Bruges are the end of the line, a tip is to arrive a bit beforehand as there is a gap of about 15 or 20 mins between its arrival in the station and its departure and they let you on early. We have always done that.

And I have never chanced the last possible train back to meet the last shuttle.

Hi Leesam - it has always been very busy, but we have always found a seat in the end.

As both Blankenberge and Bruges are the end of the line, a tip is to arrive a bit beforehand as there is a gap of about 15 or 20 mins between its arrival in the station and its departure and they let you on early. We have always done that.

And I have never chanced the last possible train back to meet the last shuttle.

Beg to correct you Scriv but Bruges is nowhere near the end of the line.

Many cruisers stay on the train and visit the equally appealing city of Ghent...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/21/one-way-to-do-zeebrugge-ghent-edition/

8781183447_181703030d_z.jpg?zoom=2

I've done Zeebrugge to Bruges three times by taxi. £50 euros each way. Every time we have joined up with other people we had met on the ship and split the cost. Drops you right into the centre and will collect you at a pre arranged time and take you back to port. Not as cheap as the train but no 20 minute walk in. Much cheaper than the excursion price.

You are quite right, SolentR - I seem to remember people staying on the train now as we got off ..... but I am sure when we returned from Bruges that the train was sitting in the station quite a while. Or have I got that completely wrong?

Apologies .

Edited by Scriv

It was 50 euros each way 2 years ago but we had to use the port shuttle to the port gates and taxis were lined up at the gates. Only pre-booked taxis were allowed into the port. On the return, the taxi was allowed to drop us by the gangway. He dropped us in the main square, right by the market stalls and picked us up there at a given time.

You are quite right, SolentR - I seem to remember people staying on the train now as we got off ..... but I am sure when we returned from Bruges that the train was sitting in the station quite a while. Or have I got that completely wrong?

Apologies .

Hi there Scriv.

We have done two trips to Ghent and two to Bruges.

The only reason I can recall for the possible longer time for the return from Bruges is that the train from Ghent actually splits at Bruges with some carriages going past Blankenburg: the name of their destination escapes me at the moment but it is a coastal town.

No problem on the outward journey, the whole train heads for Ghent.

It pays to listen to the announcements though.