Buying Rain Jacket in Alaska?

snoopy5386

I don't own a rain jacket and I am getting the impression I will need one for our cruise this summer. I figure if I have to drop $30-50 on a rain jacket it might as well be a souvenir. Are these easily found to purchase on the ship or in port for those prices? Or should I buy at home and haul with us? Same goes for a fleece jacket, I do have one of these, but I could use a new one.

There are plenty of jackets in port and they are very cheap! I wouldn't buy them on the ship (much more expensive).

I bought a fleece/rain jacket that is "heavier" for $20 that I love. They had light jackets as well. I bought mine at Tongass in Ketchikan.

http://tongasstrading.com/store/filtered/d_6/c_25/

They seem to have a better selection than online. The store is packed with t-shirts, jackets, souvenirs, etc...

Skagway and Juneau also have many shops with inexpensive jackets.

Edited by Coral

Yes, you should be able to find something in that price range in ports. Some things to consider - What's your first port? What are your plans in that port? Will you need a rain jacket sooner than you will have time to shop for one?

For example, my first stop is Juneau, and this year I have an excursion scheduled immediately, half an hour after we get into port. No shopping time for me!

Edited by sherryf

There are plenty of jackets in port and they are very cheap! I wouldn't buy them on the ship (much more expensive).

I bought a fleece/rain jacket that is "heavier" for $20 that I love. They had light jackets as well. I bought mine at Tongass in Ketchikan.

http://tongasstrading.com/store/filtered/d_6/c_25/

They seem to have a better selection than online. The store is packed with t-shirts, jackets, souvenirs, etc...

Skagway and Juneau also have many shops with inexpensive jackets.

That is a great advice.

Yes, you should be able to find something in that price range in ports. Some things to consider - What's your first port? What are your plans in that port? Will you need a rain jacket sooner than you will have time to shop for one?

For example, my first stop is Juneau, and this year I have an excursion scheduled immediately, half an hour after we get into port. No shopping time for me!

Also, Ketchikan is the first stop on a lot of cruises. It is often very rainy there, and you might need the rain jacket just to get to the shops.

Two bits of advice:

-do not buy a fleece lined rain jacket, if it leaks or rain gets down your neck they are extremely difficult to dry in the confines of a ships cabin. Purchase the jacket and fleece separately or bring along a fleece from home and that way you can layer.

-a poncho in the winds of Alaska is absolutely useless.

Two bits of advice:

-do not buy a fleece lined rain jacket, if it leaks or rain gets down your neck they are extremely difficult to dry in the confines of a ships cabin. Purchase the jacket and fleece separately or bring along a fleece from home and that way you can layer.

-a poncho in the winds of Alaska is absolutely useless.

I would actually agree. I bought the jacket for our October/November weather for back home. I didn't use it on the trip - it was far too warm for that. I did like it as it is reversible. I was just surprised at how cheap this jacket was and how warm it was - more making a point that this type of jacket was $20.00. A typical rain jacket is probably less.

Edited by Coral

Thanks all. Our first stop is Ketchikan and our plans for the first part of the day is shopping. I do have a windbreaker from the 90s that will work in a pinch, ponchos and an umbrella so I think I will be ok until I can make it to a store. Looking around online I'm having a hard time finding a jacket for under $50-75. Will definitely wait till we get there.

Thanks all. Our first stop is Ketchikan and our plans for the first part of the day is shopping. I do have a windbreaker from the 90s that will work in a pinch, ponchos and an umbrella so I think I will be ok until I can make it to a store. Looking around online I'm having a hard time finding a jacket for under $50-75. Will definitely wait till we get there.

There is a Tongass store right at the pier and 2 more in town plus obviously other stores. You will have no problems finding something.

Edited by Coral

Tongass Trading sounds great, but Ketchikan is almost at the end of our cruisetour in August.:mad:

We'll be staying in Anchorage (downtown) on our own for 3 days before starting the land part of the cruisetour. Can someone recommend a place there for a similar rain jacket, for a similar price, to those from Tongass?

Thanks - Linda

there are dozens of cheap waterproof jackets on amazon for $25 and even less. Unless you're going to wear it again, no point in buying a nice North Face or Columbia ; cheap and functional will suffice.

Buy a size larger than normal so you can wear a fleece/sweater/hoody underneath for your warm layer (which hopefully you won't need).

Instead of wasting valuable vacation time hunting for a jacket, buy it now so you can spend your time sightseeing and exploring !

Edited by mapleleaves

there are dozens of cheap waterproof jackets on amazon for $25 and even less. Unless you're going to wear it again, no point in buying a nice North Face or Columbia ; cheap and functional will suffice.

Buy a size larger than normal so you can wear a fleece/sweater/hoody underneath for your warm layer (which hopefully you won't need).

Instead of wasting valuable vacation time hunting for a jacket, buy it now so you can spend your time sightseeing and exploring !

Great advice - this is exactly what we did last year. I found a fantastic buy on Columbia rain jackets, bought them a size larger and took a fleece along. It was the perfect combination, using them together or separate took care of all of our weather needs.

Edited by Havin'fun