Vista Inaugural 5/1/16 13-nights Trieste-Barcelona Review

NCTribeFan

I'm looking forward to our BtoB on the vista- the last Med. and the TA. I know the first cruise is going to be very tiring and the second one relaxing!! I'm as much interested in the towns, villages, and the people as I am the ruins and architechure. I fully enjoyed your review! Accept for one on the first cruise, I have booked all our tours just for the 7 of us.

Pat

Pat, is that last sailing prior to the TA still on for Ephesus? I'm still upset that I didn't get to go there. It's really the main reason I booked in the first place. :(

I hope you have something similar planned for your day in Marseille (only with better weather). I enjoyed all three of our stops (winery, Cassis, and Aix-en-Provence) very much.

OK, here are a couple more photos that I don't think I included in the daily posts. I have few more than I couldn't get to upload the other night, so I'll try them again this evening and, hopefully, post some summary thoughts to wrap this up.

26542840403_2d8a20170b_b.jpg[/url]

26542851333_c5a07d28eb_z.jpg

I returned to the cabin one day at some point and was handed my copy of our photo from the Chef's Table. To be honest, I didn't remember that we had an official photo taken. That was a very long day with lots of wine and food having already been consumed prior to that big meal.

Anyway, it was a really, really good photo. Except it wasn't our group. Right date printed on them; wrong bunch of people. Their photo was much better than ours, imo.

So, we hiked up to Deck 5 to Pixels and told them about the error. One of the guys went in the back and came back with the correct ones. While we were there we decided to each purchase the big poster-like photo for the Inaugural itineraries.

27148448070_944c7c8ce3_b.jpg[/url]

27353003471_2a45124672_b.jpg

And here's my lovely, not-very-well-printed Milestone card.

27352997761_726b685aea_b.jpg

Oh, yes. The official Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle.

As had been noted when it was first announced here that Carnival was starting these, it was printed in the FunTimes which, as we all know, is left in your cabin the night before.

We were only receiving one copy. Normally, I'd pick one up at one of the bars the next day so I'd have a copy to bring home.

Well, our party was to take place at 4:00 on Tuesday, 5/4, Palermo port day. That was one of the days that we were back a bit late (although not nearly as late as some of the Carnival excursions).

Apparently someone at some point during the day on the van had mentioned seeing the party listed in the FunTimes. I didn't overhear that conversation so I wasn't aware until we were back on the ship, and it was about 3:55. We'd signed all four of us up. I stated that I hated to sign up for things and then not show up. Fearless Leader barks at me "SO GO!"

I didn't really want to go, so didn't, but it's the principle of the thing. I personally didn't talk to anyone that did, although I didn't pursue the subject. My feeling is that everyone will sign up for these things, maybe 50% will show, and then when the turnout is poor, they'll drop them. And then people will complain of CUTBACKS! Well, do you really expect Carnival to devote the personnel (and food and drinks) needed for xxx people at a party and then have less than half show up? As a shareholder, I hope they discontinue them if that's what happens.

The VIFP party was originally scheduled for 4:00 on Friday, 4/13, our last day. Before we even left the ship that morning, Matt announced that they were going to postpone it until 5 to give people a little more time. As I already posted, we were way late getting back and weren't even on the ship until just before 6, so I didn't go to that one, either.

Just two more things I'd planned to do and just didn't have the time.

Oh, yes. The official Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle.

As had been noted when it was first announced here that Carnival was starting these, it was printed in the FunTimes which, as we all know, is left in your cabin the night before.

We were only receiving one copy. Normally, I'd pick one up at one of the bars the next day so I'd have a copy to bring home.

Well, our party was to take place at 4:00 on Tuesday, 5/4, Palermo port day. That was one of the days that we were back a bit late (although not nearly as late as some of the Carnival excursions).

Apparently someone at some point during the day on the van had mentioned seeing the party listed in the FunTimes. I didn't overhear that conversation so I wasn't aware until we were back on the ship, and it was about 3:55. We'd signed all four of us up. I stated that I hated to sign up for things and then not show up. Fearless Leader barks at me "SO GO!"

I didn't really want to go, so didn't, but it's the principle of the thing. I personally didn't talk to anyone that did, although I didn't pursue the subject. My feeling is that everyone will sign up for these things, maybe 50% will show, and then when the turnout is poor, they'll drop them. And then people will complain of CUTBACKS! Well, do you really expect Carnival to devote the personnel (and food and drinks) needed for xxx people at a party and then have less than half show up? As a shareholder, I hope they discontinue them if that's what happens.

The VIFP party was originally scheduled for 4:00 on Friday, 4/13, our last day. Before we even left the ship that morning, Matt announced that they were going to postpone it until 5 to give people a little more time. As I already posted, we were way late getting back and weren't even on the ship until just before 6, so I didn't go to that one, either.

Just two more things I'd planned to do and just didn't have the time.

I totally agree with you indeed. I missed the FunTime notification too. But like you, we were late returning to the ship as well. In fact we part of the cluster of busses (4 busses) that went to the southern side of Sicily to view the ruins in Sargento. What was supposed to be a 2 hr buss ride in one direction was actually a 3+ bus ride due to road construction! 6 hrs on that bus was not the excursion bus ride any of us expected!

Some final thoughts...

The Ship

I thought she was quite lovely. I liked the modern colors and design so much better than Farcus' over-the-top bad-acid-trip-flashback designs. They definitely need to change the brown carpet in the elevator/stairwells, though. It looked like it had sandy footprints all the time. I can't imagine how bad it will look once she's in the Caribbean and actually has sandy footprints!

Beware the "hump" near the elevators. I suppose these are tracks for fire doors, but I know I tripped on them a few times the first few days and saw others doing the same. Just not used to them. It would be ugly, but they need to put some fluorescent tape/paint on them before someone falls and sues.

The layout wasn't difficult for me to figure out. I'd just sailed Sunshine and she's a lot like that, only larger, of course. And the whole deck-blocked-by-galley thing is really not an issue. I don't know why people are so confused by this. Every Carnival ship except Spirit-class has this. Just look at the deck plans! The ONLY time you cannot go all the way forward to aft is on Deck 3 between the midship and aft stairs. That's it. You don't have to be a rocket scientist (or even a brain surgeon) to figure it out.

Given the number of passengers, I really never noticed crowds or lines. The biggest mobs were in the mornings to disembark in ports. Other than that, it just wasn't an issue. True, I'm Platinum so got to use the special line at the service desk and we didn't have to check in and wait for ATD. There were some long lines at the service desk those first couple of days, especially when everyone was having problems with their internet connections.

Food

I don't "do" regular buffets typically, either for breakfast or lunch and never eat there for dinner. I love my made-to-order omelettes for breakfast but they weren't quite the same this time. The eggs were too thick so even though I asked for them well done, the insides were gooey.

Didn't have a Guy's Burger, just some fries one day. Didn't eat at the Seafood Shack, the pizza place, the Asian restaurant, or the steakhouse. Didn't have room service or any snacks in the Pub. Enjoyed my lunches at the Italian and my sushi one night.

I wasn't impressed with the American Table menu. I could've sworn I'd looked at it and seen lots of my old favorites plus several new, interesting-looking dishes that I was hoping to try. In reality, most of my old favorites weren't offered and the new dishes didn't excite me. Yes, this is all personal preference. I'm sure there were people who loved the menu. On top of the lackluster offerings, the food was just not great. The service was also not great. Both were really just mediocre most nights and a couple of nights were simply poor. Still, I never went hungry.

Ports

Fabulous, as I expected. Venice was beautiful. Loved walking around with no vehicles making noise and trying to run over you! Slovenia was stunning. Sadly, because of Fearless Leader's screw-up in Croatia, I didn't actually get to see Dubrovnik. After Ephesus (which was cancelled), Dubrovnik was the place I really wanted to see, so that was disappointing. Kotor was interesting. Athens was crowded and dirty, but the ruins were spectacular. Loved Crete and Malta both and would definitely like to return. Sicily was interesting. Honestly, I wasn't crazy about Rome. I realize others love it. I'm not Catholic. I'm nothing, really, so I was only interested in the Cathedrals and the Vatican for their architecture and art. Would've preferred seeing more of the ruins and less of the religious sites. Pisa didn't impress me and I wish we'd had more time in Florence. Loved the stop in France but then, I love France and was just happy to be there. Wish I could've stayed over in Barcelona, at least for a day.

Entertainment

Again, with so few sea days, the early mornings, and being sick most of the cruise, I really didn’t do much on the ship. Can’t tell you anything about the music. Heard a little just passing through but never stopped to listen. Didn’t go to any shows except Marcus Anthony. Cabinmates went to one of the shows and said they walked out, but after hearing what they were playing on the iPod one day (while sitting in the cabin playing Yahtzee), I don’t trust them to be a good judge of musical abilities! Didn’t go to the club. Didn’t go to the Piano Bar. Or the Havana Bar to listen to Latin music.

Didn’t go to the movies either in the IMAX theater or on Lido. Didn’t hang out in the Sports Bar. Or Alchemy Bar. Or Lobby Bar.

There simply wasn’t time to do much of anything. I’m too old to stay out until 2 and get up at 6 every morning. Seeing the ports was much more important to me than staying up late drinking and partying. That will have to wait until my next cruise.

Passengers

I heard lots of non-English speakers and well as English spoken with other than American accents. There weren’t tons of kids but there were more than I expected. No real idea what the mix of passengers was, by demographics.

I’ve already commented several times of the issue of having to wait for others, but allow me to just rant a bit more on this because it really, really bothers me.

Look, I’m one of those people who is always a few minutes early for everything. I have an irrational dislike of being late and it makes me nuts when others don’t seem to mind. It’s so completely and totally inconsiderate. Is that not obvious? And then to not even apologize to the rest of the group when you show up late. What makes people think it’s OK for them to keep everyone else waiting? Just because they know they won’t be left behind? Is it OK for the rest of the things on the tour itinerary to be cut short because of the laggards? What if the things at the end of the day are the real highlights? It’s the #1 reason I don’t like to do tours with more than a few people.

Yes, we’re on vacation. But itineraries like this are to get out there and see things that you can’t see normally. It’s a little different than a day at the beach to just drink and relax. You have to pack in as much as you can because you’ve spent a small fortune and you’re eating up lots of time to do a cruise like this. Show a little consideration for your fellow travelers, people! And FFS, read the instructions on where and when to meet!

Then there were the non-stop complaints about hills and having to walk so much. Sigh. Honestly, the physical condition of many Americans compared to the locals we saw everywhere is just sad. I don’t want to hear about how we live and work in areas so spread out that we have to drive everywhere. I get that. What I don’t get is that so many do nothing to compensate for the fact that we live such sedentary lives.

I highly recommend for people to do this sort of port-intensive itinerary while you’re still reasonably mobile. You’ll enjoy it a lot more. It’s exhausting even if you’re reasonably fit.

We were also on this cruise.

Agree100% with you about the ship. She is a beauty and so easy to get around on. Since we DIY in the ports, we usually left the ship at non busy times with Kotor, the tender port the only exception. So no crowds for us.

We were lucky and had an excellent YTD waitstaff from day one so requested them the whole cruise. After day 3, they just blocked the table for us and it was like assigned dining except we could walk in whenever we wanted to and not be tied to a schedule. ( In case anyone thinks by doing this, it incovenienced other guests, let me reassure you that there were plenty of available tables in the YTD Horizons during any of the times we were in there. )

Like you we hate waiting for others so DIY works well for us in the ports. We see what we want and don't waste time waiting for others. In many ports, we saw groups following a tour guide but not able to hear or follow along. I think it is a waste of time to go to sites you are not really interested in so being on a tour is just not for us.

All in all, we had a fantastic time on the Vista and in Europe.

Can't wait to go on the TA.

And, finally, here's a link to my Flickr page where I've created a "collection" with separate albums for each port (including pre-cruise) and one just for the handful of ship photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nctribefan/collections/72157669362984425/

Thanks for reading and being patient with me for my very slow posting! :D

My candor is often not appreciated. It gets me in trouble on occasion. Diplomacy is not my strong suit. ;) I've always been rather blunt. My intent is never to insult anyone, but I just can't help but speak and write honestly. I say and write what I think and feel.

That bluntness is often interpreted as rudeness, but I think that's typically when someone feels my comments are directed specifically at them when they aren't.

I think it's those people who get all offended because even if I'm not speaking to them, they probably don't like the honesty because it hits too close to home.

Anyway, there was something that happened that I wanted to mention. And this will probably insult the people involved, if they're reading.

One of our stops (I think it was in Sicily or Malta) was at a Cathedral. When we came out, there was a man begging. The man from one of the couples on our van hid behind his wife and started taking photos of the man begging. It was obvious he was hiding; stood behind his wife but had his telephoto lens on her shoulder.

I found this appalling. This is one time when I wish I had spoken up and asked him why he did that. Why did he think it was necessary to sneak photos of the beggar? To take home and show his friends? :mad:

I believe you should never intentionally take photos of strangers without their permission. It shouldn't be done!

To me, at the very least, after sneaking his pics, he then should've gone over and dropped a couple of Euros in the man's cup.

This still bothers me and I regret not calling them out on it.

My candor is often not appreciated. It gets me in trouble on occasion. Diplomacy is not my strong suit. ;) I've always been rather blunt. My intent is never to insult anyone, but I just can't help but speak and write honestly. I say and write what I think and feel.

That bluntness is often interpreted as rudeness, but I think that's typically when someone feels my comments are directed specifically at them when they aren't.

I think it's those people who get all offended because even if I'm not speaking to them, they probably don't like the honesty because it hits too close to home.

Anyway, there was something that happened that I wanted to mention. And this will probably insult the people involved, if they're reading.

One of our stops (I think it was in Sicily or Malta) was at a Cathedral. When we came out, there was a man begging. The man from one of the couples on our van hid behind his wife and started taking photos of the man begging. It was obvious he was hiding; stood behind his wife but had his telephoto lens on her shoulder.

I found this appalling. This is one time when I wish I had spoken up and asked him why he did that. Why did he think it was necessary to sneak photos of the beggar? To take home and show his friends? :mad:

I believe you should never intentionally take photos of strangers without their permission. It shouldn't be done!

To me, at the very least, after sneaking his pics, he then should've gone over and dropped a couple of Euros in the man's cup.

This still bothers me and I regret not calling them out on it.

I have got to Cruise with you!!

Ha! You only think you want to cruise with me! :p

I have two booked. Must update my sig. I have them turned off and forget sometimes to add countdowns to mine.

Thought of something else that I just have to mention.

The ice cream. Yes, it's important! ;)

Now, those that know me know that I don't eat huge quantities of food at one time. Never have. Just can't do it despite how wonderful something might taste. And I rarely eat dessert. I just don't have room and if I were still hungry, I'd rather have more "food" than something sweet. When I order dessert, I often order the cheese plate. I just would almost always rather than something savory than sweet.

Anyway, there was definitely something wrong with the ice cream served with the desserts. Someone got WCMC the first night and the vanilla ice cream was bright white, not vanilla-looking at all. And it didn't taste like ice cream. It tasted like frozen whipped cream. Except it wasn't that good.

Someone got pie a la mode one night and same thing. This pure white, not vanilla tasting stuff was on it.

So, I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I do like some ice cream. I didn't have any from the machines, so don't know if they've changed that or not. I hope not!

But then, I saw lots of people scarfing it down anyway. Sometimes I think if something is sweet, people will just eat it whether it tastes good or not. Ick.

Just a warning to those who love their WCMC and care about the quality of the ice cream.

Well I enjoyed cruising with you and hopefully can do it again someday. Have to say I liked your detailed review with great pictures. Hope you are feeling better these days. They can't be messing with the ice cream because that just won't do. Don't you ever change your style, I love it! :D

You can join us on the Pride repo on 1/2! Not quite sold out but close.

Hope you had a good cruise. I just booked another one last week (a 6-night Premier sailing). Of course, I had no intention of doing that, but I couldn't stop myself.

After these two, that will put me only 16 nights away from Diamond so I figure I have a couple more 8-nighters in my future. ;)

You can join us on the Pride repo on 1/2! Not quite sold out but close.

Hope you had a good cruise. I just booked another one last week (a 6-night Premier sailing). Of course, I had no intention of doing that, but I couldn't stop myself.

After these two, that will put me only 16 nights away from Diamond so I figure I have a couple more 8-nighters in my future. ;)

Looks like it is sold out. No sign of that Repo cruise on the site. :( Will keep looking though.

Ed, visit our Roll Call for Pride. There are a couple of TAs who still have cabins. They're expensive, though! I had hoped for a 4K French Door but when I booked, there were only a couple of guarantees left and I knew I'd end up over the casino band area and not get any sleep. I booked a 6B guarantee because they're all between other passenger decks. Someone just posted that they had a balcony guarantee, I think. You might be able to convince me to share a cabin! But if you snore and my new, handy-dandy headband w/speakers for white noise doesn't do the trick, you'll end up sleeping on the balcony in a lounger! :p

coke: I wasn't in a Havana so don't have first-hand knowledge but I know there were some people saying that it was loud. They have a band in the bar every night playing Latin music, so know that might be an issue.

Shame the CC closed our inaugural roll call so abruptly!!! Waaaa!!! I finally unsubscribe dot the now closed thread!!!

Vista S&S card still in my wallet though. Guess I need to remove it before I try to use it again to paid for something!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I have to move on. Got two more booked. I haven't even posted all my photos to social media yet! I think I still have Sicily, Rome, Florence/Pisa, and Marseille! I mean, we've only been home a month. :o

I just didn't want to overload people with my beautiful photos of beautiful places. I do love Europe!

I'll have to keep my eyes open for Vista 2; maybe I could do a B2B with the final Med + TA on that one. That way I would only have airfare one way across the pond! Hope they don't sail her to NY, though. And depends on the time of year. That's the reason I didn't consider the B2B for Vista TA. I couldn't do the last Med sailing because of the 10/15 deadline. :mad:

Guess we have plenty of time to speculate about her.

That's a great idea!! B2B with last Med cruise then TA!! I just might have a good selling point to getting a group of folks together again.

But I will have to say, they liked the inaugural cruise idea a lot and our stay in Venice was excellent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk