Best Cruise line for Bermuda?

Pamela W

Dear CC Members,

We are thinking about going on a cruise to Bermuda in July 2006. We have been on the Celebrity and HAL ships and prefer Celebrity. However, their ships to Bermuda have no verandas. Looks like RCCL has cruises to Bermuda also and they are about $500 less per person. Their ships also have veranda cabins. Any opinion? Celebrity leaves from Port Liberty, NJ and RCCL from Philadelphia. Any preference?

Pamela W

personally it is $500 cheaper its an easy choice for me. In Bermuda you are using the ship as a hotel more so than anyplace else. You will find there is not that much difference in the food(I have been on both RC and X) and since you want to go to a specific place go for it. You should also check on NCL which also leaves from both Phila, NY and Boston--also very few balconies but generally less expensive and freestyle eating fits in with Bermuda very well(IMO).

For Bermuda I prefer Celebrity. Zenith docks at St. George and Hamilton. Both of these are much more convenient than being out at the Dock Yard. It is true that she has no balconies but remember this is not a Caribbean cruise. It can be pretty chilly out in the Atlantic. And she does week long cruises. Unfortunately, Horizon will be leaving the fleet.

All of RCI's ships, except for Empress, have to use the Dock Yard as they are too wide to get into either of the other ports. I'm not sure if they are doing any week long cruises next year. I know they were not this year. That may be why their prices are coming out lower.

NCL sails Norwegian Magesty out of Boston for week long cruises and docks at St. George for its stay in Bermuda. Though that may have changed since the last time I checked. I can't say much about NCL as I've never sailed that line.

Just one thing to remember Royal goes to Kings Warf also know as the Dockyards. There are no beaches, and the only thing to do there is a few shops. I have been in Bermuda more than 15 times and strongly recommend you go with a cruise line that docks in St. George or Hamilton. Also make sure to make it to Horseshoe Bay!

can't you take the ferry to hamilton and then a cab to horseshoe? we were in bermuda this past august on a land vacation and we cabbed it all over the place. bermuda has a very good public transportation system. i think the whole island is something like 22 square miles. while it probably is more convenient to dock in hamilton..... there are ways around it if you want to travel with royal caribbean.(imho)

If you are going to Ferry to St Hamilton and then take a cab...why not just take the bus from the Dockyards or a cab for that matter to Horseshoe Bay. Its true it will be easier to get a cab in Hamilton but the ferry is at least 1/2 an hour while it takes only 35 by bus to Horseshoe from Kings wharf. Bermuda has a fantastic bus system and while the cabs are pricey they aren't that expensive.

I prefer Celebrity Zenith for Bermuda. The smaller ships usually dock at both Hamiltion and St. Georges.

You can buy transportation passes for the bus/ferry. ($21 day unlimited)

In the dockyard there is a snorkel park which is pretty nice, and there are some shops, however Hamilton is more central.

Horseshoe bay, also check Jobson's cove and don't miss the Swizzle Inn!

I prefer Celebrity Zenith for Bermuda. The smaller ships usually dock at both Hamiltion and St. Georges.

You can buy transportation passes for the bus/ferry. ($21 day unlimited)

In the dockyard there is a snorkel park which is pretty nice, and there are some shops, however Hamilton is more central.

Horseshoe bay, also check Jobson's cove and don't miss the Swizzle Inn!

Yes, you can use the transportation system from the Dockyard, and it really is a good system (we took the bus everywhere), but the Dockyard is not convenient to much, especially the St. George half of the island.

You will not have the option of doing a morning trip and getting back to the ship for lunch and then heading out again for an afternonn trip and getting back to the ship for dinner --- not easily anyway as most of your island time will be taken up with travel. For a complete review of our trip, with lots of great hints: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Hello,

if you are brave, rent a scooter at the Dockyards, We did & had a blast. We rode all over Bermuda & spent alot of time at the BEAUTIFUL Horseshoe Bay! It was nice to have our own transportation & not have to wait on a bus or ferry, BUT you MUST drive with caution!!!!

We will be revisiting Bermuda 5/6/06 on RCCL's Empress of the Seas out of Philly. We've been on the ship 2 other times and also have been to Bermuda several times and can't wait to go back again. This time the Empress will be docking in St George's and Hamilton which it never did before, always had to take the ferry from either the Dockyard or Hamilton.

Debbie

No, the ferry is the quickest way to Hamilton from King's Wharf. As I remember it was over a hour by bus. I think where you are getting confused is by what it says in an above post that it is about 35 minutes by bus from King's Wharf to Horseshoe Bay.

Since the last time I was there they have new ferries that go faster but still when your going from the Dockyard to St George's they have to go slower because of the reefs but if I remember correctly it was about 45 min. When we took it from the Dockyard to Hamilton it took us about 30 min.

Debbie

Archived