Is music ang singing getting louder

wally_bushy

This is not a specific Oceania issue (just my favourite forum) but I am finding all music is getting louder and louder.

Our recent cruise highlighted this when we ate at Waves and the band were playing near the pool

To us it was almost unbearable to sit within 30 metres (or yards).

Some of the singing at night in the Marina lounge was so loud it made us mute the sound by covering our ears.

As we get older we are meant to become harder of hearing but I may be getting more sensitive:)

This is not unique to this cruise but a general observation. Any one else find the same problem where the music and singing assault rather than soothe.

Forgive the spelling in the header as I could not edit the title ("and" not "ang")

Edited by wally_bushy

I did notice that the sound on the pool deck on Marina tended to echo a lot. It wasn't really the volume as opposed to standing waves, muddled sound and overall noise. Turning it down might help, but it's really more a matter of the physics of sound.

I did notice that the sound on the pool deck on Marina tended to echo a lot. It wasn't really the volume as opposed to standing waves, muddled sound and overall noise. Turning it down might help, but it's really more a matter of the physics of sound.

The quality of the audio speakers and/or amplifiers in the pool area on Marina is mediocre at best. Even mildly loud music comes across as distorted and that is more bothersome than the volume issue.

Also, the placement of the piano adjacent to the bar in Martini's on both O ships (Riviera and Marina) renders seating on the left side of the bar useless for any conversation due to the piano music (loud because it's right on top of you). This is much less an issue on the R ships where the piano is across the room from the bar.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

recently on Regatta did not notice any difference there

The music was quiet & low key just enough to provide some background noise around the pool

no band at the pool

The piano player in martinis was good unless you sat in front of the piano then it was hard to talk/listen to others

Hopefully you will find a quiet place somewhere. Just left Queen Vic where everything was unbearably loud. Shows, supposedly background music in bars, even the quizzes had these young yanks shouting into the microphone. There was not one bar after 9 in the evening that did not have music blaring out. Poor show Cunard. Think yourself lucky Oceania.

This is not a specific Oceania issue (just my favourite forum) but I am finding all music is getting louder and louder.

Our recent cruise highlighted this when we ate at Waves and the band were playing near the pool

To us it was almost unbearable to sit within 30 metres (or yards).

Some of the singing at night in the Marina lounge was so loud it made us mute the sound by covering our ears.

As we get older we are meant to become harder of hearing but I may be getting more sensitive:)

This is not unique to this cruise but a general observation. Any one else find the same problem where the music and singing assault rather than soothe.

Forgive the spelling in the header as I could not edit the title ("and" not "ang")

I too have had problems lately on the ships -- sound is just too loud. Sometimes have to leave before it triggers a headache. I think on the R ships particularly the lounges are small and the amplifiers too large. Or the young'uns running the sound board like the modern LOUD noise this generation calls music -- the world is louder than it used to be I think. On larger ships I sometimes prefer to be behind the sound bench and to the side. I learn quickly where the cold air vents and the speakers are and sight lines and my husband looks out for seats not likely to get picked for audience participation (he always gets picked and hates it!). We are not picky about our seats OH Yeah we are!

Part of the problem is they have moved the music from "real old music 40/50's ) to sorta old music 60's/70's good stuff to NOW OLDIEs 90's/00's. Lots of what is called music is in the ears of the beholder and they play over going deaf folks talking. :D:eek::D

I too have had problems lately on the ships -- sound is just too loud. Sometimes have to leave before it triggers a headache. I think on the R ships particularly the lounges are small and the amplifiers too large. Or the young'uns running the sound board like the modern LOUD noise this generation calls music -- the world is louder than it used to be I think. On larger ships I sometimes prefer to be behind the sound bench and to the side. I learn quickly where the cold air vents and the speakers are and sight lines and my husband looks out for seats not likely to get picked for audience participation (he always gets picked and hates it!). We are not picky about our seats OH Yeah we are!

Part of the problem is they have moved the music from "real old music 40/50's ) to sorta old music 60's/70's good stuff to NOW OLDIEs 90's/00's. Lots of what is called music is in the ears of the beholder and they play over going deaf folks talking. :D:eek::D

So true. As an "ageing Baby Boomer," 50's / 60's / earlyish 70's music, even if a little loud, can be fun. Anything much after that is neither "music" nor is tolerable at any volume. And yes, I admit that I'm turning into an old crank but my hearing is still good.

So true. As an "ageing Baby Boomer," 50's / 60's / earlyish 70's music, even if a little loud, can be fun. Anything much after that is neither "music" nor is tolerable at any volume. And yes, I admit that I'm turning into an old crank but my hearing is still good.

There's plenty of good music from all the decades after you mentioned. The problem is is that it's not popular nor played on radio, you have to know where to look, or listen. Unfortunately for years rap/hip hop has been promoted as popular music, and it's garbage.

This issue comes up on many boards. Over at Celebrity, they've been complaining for a couple of years about the music volume in all their venues, including the main theater. On a recent cruise, we were sitting with friends in the Martini bar, and we couldn't hear each other because the canned music was so loud. I went over to the bar manager and asked him to turn it softer but he said he couldn't, as it was an order from corporate. Celebrity has been trying to shed its image as being for those who are 60 and older, so they changed their playlists to reflect a younger demographic, and increased the volume because they think that's how millennials like it. I guess Celebrity thinks that pumping volume and deep, heavy base sounds are what the youngsters like.

This issue comes up on many boards. Over at Celebrity, they've been complaining for a couple of years about the music volume in all their venues, including the main theater. On a recent cruise, we were sitting with friends in the Martini bar, and we couldn't hear each other because the canned music was so loud. I went over to the bar manager and asked him to turn it softer but he said he couldn't, as it was an order from corporate.

Well I am glad the bartender on Regatta did not get that memo ;)

the music was quite a comfortable level