Zika virus

teaach

Will the Zika Virus affect my summer cruise to the Caribbean? A couple of years ago we sailed out of Long Beach to Mex. All my excursions were privately booked. We sailed toward Mex, got to Puerta Viarta to drop off a medical problem. Turned around and headed back to Long Beach. All ports were cancelled due to the WHO's recommendation about Swine Flu. A great deal of passengers were upset. I had a good time - a lot of free alcohol. The upshot was, obc and 1/2 off our next cruise. We did get to go to San Francisco for a night,but it bucketed rain and was very cold. A lot of people wanted to go back to Long Beach and debark early, but we enjoyed our total sea day cruise. We made lemonade out of lemons! Hope this doesn't happen again.

No, I doubt your cruise will be affected. At this time there are no cancellations and I just returned from a cruise to Honduras, Belize and Mexico, then went onto a week in Dominican Republic. No one is talking about or worried about it, other than a few young women who are of child-bearing age. And they just wore plenty of repellent.

I too traveled to Mexico at the peak of Swine flu (it was one of the best vacations ever) when there were only 16 people in the entire resort.

It's nothing like that down there right now. Everything is sold close to capacity at resorts all over the Caribbean and Mexico. Not nearly as many people concerned about it as the swine flu.

If you are doing a beach day, zika, dengue and chukungunya are low on the list of things going bad.

If you are going inland, for zip lining, cave tubing, ruins, etc, it's advisable to wear long sleeves and pants, and to use a good insect repellent as well.

Cruise itineraries won't be affected.

Use a good insect repellent on exposed skin and spray repellent on your clothes and hat.

Stand next to someone with an O blood type :eek: Mosquitoes will go after an O blood type before other blood types. (my husband is O, I am A. I joke I won't leave his side on excursions).

Use a good insect repellent on exposed skin and spray repellent on your clothes and hat.

Stand next to someone with an O blood type :eek: Mosquitoes will go after an O blood type before other blood types. (my husband is O, I am A. I joke I won't leave his side on excursions).

I am an O, no wonder that they love me!

I'm O- but the bugs leave me alone in favor of my wife and daughter, who I think are both A. Guess we have stupid bugs around here - didn't do so well with their letters!

I've also seen dryer sheets attached to clothes work - though I don't know how well that would confuse jungle bugs.