Eurodam 9 Sept 2016 docking in Salerno instead of Naples

ang293

I booked the September 2016 Mediterranean Romance in January this year and at that point the itinerary included a stop in Naples (to access Pompeii in particular). Just looked on HALs site and the dock for that day has changed to Salerno.

Is this kind of change common (if so how do people go with booking non HAL excursions)? I'm a first time cruiser so I'd assumed changes would only be made at cruise time to do with weather etc.

I'm not too happy with it as my understanding are that the main artifacts from Pompeii are in the museum in Naples. If I have a whinge to HAL are they likely to hand out any perks as a sweetener?

I'm not sure when the change occurred between Feb and now but I'm pretty sure i didn't receive any kind of notification either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A few years ago, while staying in Positano, between Naples and Salerno, we were able to easily day trip north by bus and train for Pompeii, and then again south to Salerno to catch a train to Rome for our flight home. If you don't care about seeing the Amalfi coast, you will be able to take a train direct from Salerno to Pompeii for a nice day. The train station was about one block from the water, as I recall.

We are on the 24 day cruise before yours, and we would much rather be in Salerno than Naples, as far as it being a smaller, cleaner and safer city.

Thanks scm1848 - I'd figured out that getting to Pompeii was fine from both ports. It was more missing out on the related stuff in Naples that bothered me. Good to hear that you rate Salerno as the nicer city though. I'm jealous of your 24 day cruise! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First of all, you're welcome.

You have plenty of time to research this, but I know you will be able to get a train from Salerno to Sorrento, where I believe you pick up the little local train that goes directly to the Pompeii station. We did it in October, but it was still pretty crowded. See if you can book on line before you go.

Salerno is a less convenient port for those wanting to do anything other than the Amalfi Coast (or possibly Paestum). Several lines have begun using Salerno because the Naples port is full.

As already mentioned, it is fairly easy to get a train to Naples from Salerno (direct, you do not need to change trains), then take the metro to the stop closest to the museum.

Getting to Pompeii is also possible without changing trains (e.g., you don't need to use the little local Circumvesuviana line), but involves more of a walk to the entrance.

If you need more detailed help, there have been several posts about it on the Italy Ports of Call forum with more specifics.