Scenic Amber Danube info

515kitty

Scenic Amber is the same as the Jasper and Opal which were new last year. Reviews of those two ships will be reviews of Amber.

As for the stops you might search by tour name (Gems of the Danube, Jewels of Europe, etc. ) for detailed information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have read the reviews and watched the video of the Jasper and read the choice of shore excursions. It is in the details such as how they handle the shore excursions last. How long the shore excursions are. Tried to talk to Scenic and have had my travel agency check on some things also but they only know what is online to them. But would like to visit with someone whom has done Gems of the Danube from Prague. They can share more light on what I am trying to find out.

Also notice the number of people whom have view this post I am not the only one wanting information.

Edited by 515kitty

We are going on the Amber on 6th June on Nuremberg to Budapest, so can let you know after that if its not too late?

Thanks that would be great we don't sail until October. I know there are many sailing and might like this info too.

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on the Amber on 6th June on Nuremberg to Budapest, so can let you know after that if its not too late?

I, too, look forward to any info you can pass on. We are taking a similar Scenic cruise on July 11th.

I'm particularly interested in knowing how much time is spent in Passau and Vienna. If you attend a morning tour, is there sufficient time in the afternoon to do some personal exploring? Are there shuttle buses to and from the ship? What time do the boats leave port?

I don't know why Scenic doesn't provide this information, at least in general terms (eg: "Most walking tours are about __ hours. Shuttle buses are available to take passengers back to the ship for lunch then back to the central square, if desired". Or "the ship generally leaves for its next port before/during/after dinner")

Many thanks for your help, salbags! I hope you are already enjoying your cruise!!

Was on Scenic Opal last Sept. which was scheduled to go from Budapest to Nuremberg but only made it as far as Passau. From there went onto Prague.

We arrived in Budapest a day early and did some touring on our own.

Our Scenic tour choices:

1. Budapest: the Szechenyi Baths. (Our own we took the hop on hop off tour bus visiting Fishermen's Bastion, the Hospital in the Rock, Mathias Church, St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Central Market)

2. Bratislava (Back in Vienna, we visited Schoenbrunn Palace on our own and, later in the evening, walked to the Prater to ride the world's oldest ferris wheel)

3. Cesky Krumlov

4. Regensburg

Let me know if you want details.

We were on the 5/9 - 5/15, Gems of the Danube, Scenic Amber cruise so I can tell you what our daily schedule looked like. I agree, when I was researching this cruise, it was very difficult to get any specific information from Scenic. I don't know if that is because each cruise has a different itinerary or if the agents are just not given it.

As far as Vienna goes, we left for the Schoenbrunn Palace tour at 8am. After the tour you were given the option to be dropped off at city centre for touring on our own or return to the ship. We got back to the ship around 1pm (I think). If you choose to return to the ship for lunch, and wanted to go back to the city centre, they ran a shuttle at 2pm, 2:30pm and 3:00pm. The return shuttle from city center was at 2:30pm, 3:00pm, and the last being at 3:30pm. The Prater was in walking distance to where the ship docked( at least that is what the tour guide said). It appeared to be a good hike but you could see the ferris wheel in the distance.

Scenic provided a private concert at Palais Liechtenstein that evening at 7:15pm and shortly after returning to the ship was sail away.

As far as Passau goes, we arrived around 8am, and we immediately went on our excursions. We choose Cesky Krumlov, and our friends picked Salzburg. If you do not choose one of these then the all aboard was 10:15am. The ship sailed and arrived in Linz around 5:30pm. I don't know what the people that did not choose either Cesky Krumlov or Salzburg did with their time.

I hope this helps. Ask if you need anything else.

Hi,

I've been chatting in several other forums and getting great advice, but it never hurts to get another opinion if you don't mind.

What did you think of Cesky? Did you take a tour of the castle? Was it worth the day spent doing it?

What did your friends think of Salzburg?

Thanks so much,

Chris

We liked Cesky Krumlov and would make the same choice if we were doing it all over again. The drive way pretty. I think it was around 2 l/2 hours. We stopped at a convenience store/restroom on the way and at a duty free/restroom on the way back to the ship. I'm not sure who you are traveling with, but with Scenic, the guide explained the town and what he thought was worthwhile seeing, which was a few museums and the Castle. Scenic provided lunch at a restaurant which was just okay, and then we had about two hours of free time. We walked up to the Castle and through some of the gardens which were very nice. There was a museum at the Castle that you could pay to see but we decided not to. We spend most of our time walking around that area, and then made our way back to the meeting place, stopping along the way for a very quick bit of shopping. The whole area was very picturesque, lots of cafes, little shops, etc.

Going from Passau, you travel through three countries; Germany, Czech Republic and Austria. If you stay in Prague before your cruise, keep a few HUF as we didn't and should have. They will take euro's but we only had large bills and didn't want the change back in HUF as we wouldn't be using them again.

Our friends equally liked Salzburg. One of them is a real Sound of Music fan so she wanted to go there and take pictures to send home to her grandchildren as one of them really loved the movie also. In Austria, the movie was not nearly as big a deal as it was in the U.S. They said the drive was beautiful, and they got a view (although very quickly) of the Alps. Salzburg was a little further to travel to than Cesky. I think they said that there was a lot of construction going on in Salzburg but I may be thinking of somewhere else. We saw so much that my memory for details is not all that good!

I hope you enjoy whatever you decide!

Sandy

Thank you Sandy!

I am leaning toward going. I think I will miss the sailing into Passau and the joining of the rivers. And I think it will be too late when we get back to hike up somewhere to see it.

Decisions, decisions!!

Chris

I would love to do the tasting or food tour but would also enjoy the WWII tour also. Is there anyway to do both. I understand the length of time with the Salzburg and CK and that they are going in different directions. Would love to do both of them also. So wish someone from the Scenic # could help before getting on the ship? I called and all they were doing was reading from the info they had in front of them.

You wouldn't be able to do both tours as they both leave at 9am. We got back from our WW11 tour around noon or 12:30. I think that you could elect to be dropped off in Nuremberg directly after the tour and not have to be back until the last shuttle at 4pm. My husband and I am a little iffy if this was the case, but I think it was. Even if it wasn't, Scenic does have a shuttle that leaves the ship at 2, 2:30, 3:00pm, returning to the ship at 3:00, 3:30, with the last one at 4pm.

Our friends did the Taste of Nuremberg. It starting with a bus tour, similar to the WW11 tour) and then a walking tour in Nuremberg. I think they visited the castle, one of the churches, and saw the clock on the hour. I know they got a lebkuchen (gingerbread cookie), somewhere and then later stopped at a restaurant for a sausage sandwich and beer. They were given some free time before returning to the ship or they could stay there and take the shuttle back later. You certainly could do most of that on your own, if you elected to be dropped off on the way back to the ship after the WW11 tour or even with the shuttle provided.

The area is really pretty which lots of shops. It is definitely worth seeing. We came in a day early so we walked to the castle, had a beer and sausages, and bought some cookies. I really liked to cookies. There are several shops that sell them in various sizes and packaging. I brought some back to our Grandchildren.

The first night that we boarded in Nuremberg, there was not a shuttle provided so going into town was not an option.

If you are going to the Weltenburg Abbey, there will be no free time that day.

The ship doesn't arrive into Regensburg until 1:15 and the tour leaves soon after.

If you are going to the Melk Abbey, the tour leaved at 9:10 and there is a return bus back at 11:45. You have the option to walk back from the Abbey to the ship. Most people did not as it was a rainy day. We decided to walk, and I was glad that we did. It was not a long walk, and the town under the abbey was very cute with some nice shops.

Hope this helps!

You wouldn't be able to do both tours as they both leave at 9am. We got back from our WW11 tour around noon or 12:30. I think that you could elect to be dropped off in Nuremberg directly after the tour and not have to be back until the last shuttle at 4pm. My husband and I am a little iffy if this was the case, but I think it was. Even if it wasn't, Scenic does have a shuttle that leaves the ship at 2, 2:30, 3:00pm, returning to the ship at 3:00, 3:30, with the last one at 4pm.

Our friends did the Taste of Nuremberg. It starting with a bus tour, similar to the WW11 tour) and then a walking tour in Nuremberg. I think they visited the castle, one of the churches, and saw the clock on the hour. I know they got a lebkuchen (gingerbread cookie), somewhere and then later stopped at a restaurant for a sausage sandwich and beer. They were given some free time before returning to the ship or they could stay there and take the shuttle back later. You certainly could do most of that on your own, if you elected to be dropped off on the way back to the ship after the WW11 tour or even with the shuttle provided.

The area is really pretty which lots of shops. It is definitely worth seeing. We came in a day early so we walked to the castle, had a beer and sausages, and bought some cookies. I really liked to cookies. There are several shops that sell them in various sizes and packaging. I brought some back to our Grandchildren.

The first night that we boarded in Nuremberg, there was not a shuttle provided so going into town was not an option.

The ship doesn't arrive into Regensburg until 1:15 and the tour leaves soon after.

If you are going to the Melk Abbey, the tour leaved at 9:10 and there is a return bus back at 11:45. You have the option to walk back from the Abbey to the ship. Most people did not as it was a rainy day. We decided to walk, and I was glad that we did. It was not a long walk, and the town under the abbey was very cute with some nice shops.

Hope this helps!

Thanks you so much for the info as it was very helpful. Can you tell me what pace you went at as my husband has mobility problems and are very concerned how he will handle all the things he wants to do.

We did not go to the courthouse. The courthouse is closed to the public on Tuesdays, which was the day that we were there. I knew that going into the tour but I did hear a few people expressing disappointment that they wouldn't see it. It was one of the buildings that the guide pointed out as we drove by. I don't know if you would stop there if your tour was not on a Tuesday. We only made two stops, one at Zeppelin Field and one at the Documentation Center. The Documentation Center is where we spent the bulk of the time. I think it was over two hours. You are given an audio guide. You can't read everything as if you do, you will run out of time. The guide told us this but we still spent too much time in the beginning so were rushing at the end.

Hard to say as far as walking. You do a ton of walking. I was fine with it but my husband not so much. At Zeppelin Field there was quite a bit of walking to the area and then up a bunch of steps. You wouldn't have to do this if you didn't want to. At the Documentation Center you could go at your own pace.

We found that when we finished a tour, we didn't want to do much else (or I should say my husband didn't)! We do not have any mobility problems but we were still tired out. I would have loved to spend more time in Nuremberg but we didn't. Same in Vienna...We did the Palace and although there was so much to see in Vienna, we just didn't feel like doing more. We all came down with colds and one of my friend's back was bothering her which slowed us up a bit. I don't know what provisions Scenic makes for people that have some difficulty walking. You could try asking Scenic but as I know, and you have said, they are not great at handing out information.

The ship and crew were great.

Hope this helps!

We did not go to the courthouse. The courthouse is closed to the public on Tuesdays, which was the day that we were there. I knew that going into the tour but I did hear a few people expressing disappointment that they wouldn't see it. It was one of the buildings that the guide pointed out as we drove by. I don't know if you would stop there if your tour was not on a Tuesday. We only made two stops, one at Zeppelin Field and one at the Documentation Center. The Documentation Center is where we spent the bulk of the time. I think it was over two hours. You are given an audio guide. You can't read everything as if you do, you will run out of time. The guide told us this but we still spent too much time in the beginning so were rushing at the end.

Hard to say as far as walking. You do a ton of walking. I was fine with it but my husband not so much. At Zeppelin Field there was quite a bit of walking to the area and then up a bunch of steps. You wouldn't have to do this if you didn't want to. At the Documentation Center you could go at your own pace.

We found that when we finished a tour, we didn't want to do much else (or I should say my husband didn't)! We do not have any mobility problems but we were still tired out. I would have loved to spend more time in Nuremberg but we didn't. Same in Vienna...We did the Palace and although there was so much to see in Vienna, we just didn't feel like doing more. We all came down with colds and one of my friend's back was bothering her which slowed us up a bit. I don't know what provisions Scenic makes for people that have some difficulty walking. You could try asking Scenic but as I know, and you have said, they are not great at handing out information.

The ship and crew were great.

I just looked up and we too are scheduled to do our tour on Tuesday. How disappointing. Can you tell me if you were motor couch from Prague to Nuremberg and would there be time to see the courthouse prior to boarding if I can find a guide to pick us up and take us there on Monday??

Edited by 515kitty

We went to Prague ahead of time but did not book it with Scenic. We took the Student Agency Bus from Prague to Nuremberg and then spent one night at a Scenic sponsored hotel. If you are with Scenic, I don't know what time you arrive in Nuremberg.

We looked into getting a private tour for the day that the cruise started but decided not to. We had contacted Kevin at Nuremberg Tours in English. You could look on Trip Advisor and read about him. He got really good reviews. There were four of us, and he would have picked us at the hotel, with our luggage, and dropped us off at the ship after. I would think that you would get a more detailed tour, and it would be easier on your husband considered any mobility problem. His website shows that he includes the courtroom but as JVilleGal said there are times that it is closed.

We went to Prague ahead of time but did not book it with Scenic. We took the Student Agency Bus from Prague to Nuremberg and then spent one night at a Scenic sponsored hotel. If you are with Scenic, I don't know what time you arrive in Nuremberg.

We looked into getting a private tour for the day that the cruise started but decided not to. We had contacted Kevin at Nuremberg Tours in English. You could look on Trip Advisor and read about him. He got really good reviews. There were four of us, and he would have picked us at the hotel, with our luggage, and dropped us off at the ship after. I would think that you would get a more detailed tour, and it would be easier on your husband considered any mobility problem. His website shows that he includes the courtroom but as JVilleGal said there are times that it is closed.

Kevin is whom I had seen also that seems to be a great guide and someone who I was thinking of contacting. I wish Scenic could get more detailed with there answers when I call. My guess is that they will probably plan on getting there only an hour or 2 prior to leaving. Thanks for all the help so far.

We arrived to the ship around noon but most of the guests didn't come until much later. I would guess that if you are coming from Prague, you would be in one of those later groups to arrive.

You will see and do wonderful things so don't worry too much about what you may miss. Scenic will take good care of you, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sandy

We arrived to the ship around noon but most of the guests didn't come until much later. I would guess that if you are coming from Prague, you would be in one of those later groups to arrive.

You will see and do wonderful things so don't worry too much about what you may miss. Scenic will take good care of you, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Sandy

Sandy Thanks for all the good tips. I am very much looking forward to river cruising and decided to do our trip with Scenic. We have heard many good things about them. We will have to figure how to get in the court house or not. My husband is a lawyer and very much loves history and WWll. Your feelings about you can't see everything is how I look at it also. I really wanted to do Salzburg but choose CK instead as this is my heritage.(Czeck) We are traveling with another couple and probably should have done what you did as far as Prague on our own. I so wanted to go back to Kalvary vary. It is a delightful and interesting town. Maybe another time. Safe travels

Edited by 515kitty

Thank you for some great info. I have been wondering about timing etc, as we too are on Scenic, from Amsterdam to Budapest and this all applies to us (apart from the Cesky Krumlov option), but not until late September. Can't wait!