Best Route Driving To Long Beach from Phoenix

Looking for the best route driving into to Long Beach from the East...we have a cruise booked on Carnival mid-July - will be staying at Hol Inn Downtown on Atlantic Ave. This is all arranged, but I'm looking at several possible ways to drive into the Long Beach area and was hoping for some feedback from locals or those who have done this before.

I'm seeing four possible scenarios from past posts, google maps, etc. (will be coming from Phoenix area along I-10) and would like opinions:

(1) This is what I call the Google Map Route - I-10 to I-10/Rte 60 split - Rte 60 to Riverside, then Rte 91 to 55 S to 22...then 22W to Long Beach. This route apparently joins I-405 for a short distance and eventually runs into E7th St into Long Beach.

(2) From some of the cruise posts:

I-10 to I-605, then down into the Long Beach area

(3) I-10 to I-605, I-105 W to I-710S, then into the Long Beach area

From my perspective, just looking at the map, and as someone who is not familiar with the area, this one looks like the simplest route:

I-10 to Rte 60 W to I-710 S

My best guess is we would be arriving sometime in the 1-4pm time frame, if that makes any difference.

10 West to 60 West to 91 West to 710 South, Exit Anaheim St., Go East to Atlantic, turn right...

Always chance of traffic anywhere in SoCal...this route keeps you on the freeway longer...but most direct route...and you won't have to cross Long Beach on surface streets with stop lights every two blocks...

Of course, I would NEVER make that hotel choice--not that property, not that neighborhood...but, I guess you are doing it for a cheap "Park and Cruise" rate...At least you'll have your car with you so you can get out of there except to sleep...

What day of the week are you driving in?

The 91 is horrible (Corona Crawl) almost anytime of day or night. They're doing major construction on it right now, at times it's been completely closed down. Check traffic at http://cad.chp.ca.gov/. 'Inland' for the 91/60 and 'Los Angeles' for the more western parts

Also AM1070 has traffic on the 5's- 7:05, 7:15 etc.

We do a variation of the third option, 210W-605S-105W-710S going to port. Even though the 710 is to the west of the hotel, there's less surface streets to contend with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

I'd do as Google maps suggests. Just expect traffic 24/7 once you hit LA metro. If you don't hit traffic consider yourself highly blessed!

One note, the neighborhood around the Holiday Inn on Atlantic could be considered "sketchy" by some. So, if this bothers you, I just wanted to give you a heads up.

I just drove from Long Beach to Las Vegas and I thought about this thread.

If I were you, I'd simply take the 10 all the way to the 710 go south and go right into downtown LBC on the 710. It's easy and the 710 is sometimes lighter since it's primarily a truck route from the port of LBC & LA.

Thanks to all for those responses....SadieN, RJGallagher1955, Bruin Steve...:):)

We'll be driving in on a Saturday...(cruise is the following day). We come back on a Thursday, but we're not too concerned with the "gettin' outta Dodge (LA) part....as we'll be in no hurry then.

Anyway, we are driving in a day early before the cruise. We picked the Hol Inn Downtown Long Beach (as you might have guessed) because of "free" nights (using my rewards points) reduced parking fee, and of course the free shuttle to the port.

Yeah, I've read a lot of reviews about this particular hotel. The Hol Inn website has mostly positive comments, although many agree the neighborhood is "sketchy." On the CC boards, comments are pretty mixed...one in particular noted "free shuttle, free breakfast, decent rooms, friendly staff & shuttle drivers..." Plus, the parking is underground and reasonably secure. Others mentioned "Other than not being in a touristy area we found the positives made up for the location..."

We don't plan to go walking around the neighborhood, we might even simply stay in and have dinner at the hotel. We'll see how we feel when we get there.

I've spent most of my life on the Eastern seaboard - a few years in Colorado, but only a few visits to California in my lifetime. First time was thru MCAS El Toro on my way to Vietnam, 1965. Then once in a motorhome in 2003 (I40W then north to Oregon, etc). One short visit to San Diego some years ago, spent a week in Redding too. But...I am definitely a newbie when it comes to driving in the LA area, so your thoughts and recommendations are most welcome!:D

I'm going to cogitate on all the great info that has been provided, and again, thanks so much for the "insider" information!:cool:

Saturday should be about as good as it gets for traffic in LA (but you never know).

Last time I drove from Long Beach to Phoenix it was about 6 hours, as I remember. So if you arrive early enough, you'll have some free time.

I'd suggest a simple drive down Atlantic to Downtown Long Beach, Pine Avenue has lots of restaurants and plenty of parking.

Shoreline Village is nice, there's a nice Yard House there that we like, sitting right on the water.

If you head downtown, the neighborhood is fine, it's just if you go north on Atlantic and directly around the hotel that's kind of worn around the edges.

Enjoy!

Saturday should be about as good as it gets for traffic in LA (but you never know).

Last time I drove from Long Beach to Phoenix it was about 6 hours, as I remember. So if you arrive early enough, you'll have some free time.

I'd suggest a simple drive down Atlantic to Downtown Long Beach, Pine Avenue has lots of restaurants and plenty of parking.

Shoreline Village is nice, there's a nice Yard House there that we like, sitting right on the water.

If you head downtown, the neighborhood is fine, it's just if you go north on Atlantic and directly around the hotel that's kind of worn around the edges.

Enjoy!

"...worn around the edges..." Hah..I love that! It seems a more pleasing description than "sketchy...," but both do indeed convey the message.

I sure appreciate all the suggestions, printing all of this out and putting it into the "cruise folder.":)

(2)I-10 to I-605, then down into the Long Beach area

(3) I-10 to I-605, I-105 W to I-710S, then into the Long Beach area

Do one of these two. Both the 60 and 91 stink at any time. The 10 and 605 are much better freeways, wider and straighter. I HATE the 60 coming out of the Beaumont area.

If you can add a day or two in the Palm Springs area on either end, do it.

Lots of good answers to the mystery of the best route for Los Angeles traffic. I owned a condo in the 100 block of Atlantic (10 blocks South of the Holiday Inn) for 7 years. I visit my Mom in Phoenix every couple of months or so.

For what it is worth, after making this exact trip around 35 times at all times of day, trying different routes - here is the route I settled on and why:

I-10 West to CA-60 West

CA-60 West to CA-57 South

CA-57 South to CA-22 West

Exit right lane to 7th Street just past I-405 merge

Take 7th Street for about 7 miles then turn Right on Atlantic

Hotel is 4 blocks on the left.

I do not like the 91 Fwy because there is no carpool lane for about 10 miles - only a toll lane. Also, the 91 W/B traffic is bad even on Saturday afternoon.

The 60 freeway carpool lane is very reliable - many times even at rush hour. It is more direct than the I-10 but it does go through a narrow "badlands" area for about 10 miles. Usually not a problem - just slow down a little.

Transition from 60 carpool to 57 carpool is from the left so no crossing out of the 60 carpool to the 57 South then back to the carpool. This really saves a lot of hassle and is the main reason I recommend this route.

There will be some traffic at the 57 to 22 merge as the I-5 also meets here at the "Orange Crush". Should not be too bad though.

The 22 West is usually very reliable and you can enter and leave the carpool at any point - no solid double yellow lines. Be sure to get out the the carpool before the I-405 or you will not be able to exit at 7th Street.

My only caveat to this route is if you are coming on Saturday July 16. There is a home Angles game at 6 pm so you would need to get through the 57/22 transition well before that time.

The neighborhood is definitely sketchy. That said, my group of 5 walked a cpl blocks away for dinner. I believe the place was called Louies. Great burgers and good Chile Verde. I wouldn't walk that route without a group though.

Yeah, I see it on the map, Louis Burgers. It has great reviews, thanks for the heads-up. If we go anywhere, we'll probably drive anyway. :D

Lots of good answers to the mystery of the best route for Los Angeles traffic. I owned a condo in the 100 block of Atlantic (10 blocks South of the Holiday Inn) for 7 years. I visit my Mom in Phoenix every couple of months or so.

For what it is worth, after making this exact trip around 35 times at all times of day, trying different routes - here is the route I settled on and why:

I-10 West to CA-60 West

CA-60 West to CA-57 South

CA-57 South to CA-22 West

Exit right lane to 7th Street just past I-405 merge

Take 7th Street for about 7 miles then turn Right on Atlantic

Hotel is 4 blocks on the left.

I do not like the 91 Fwy because there is no carpool lane for about 10 miles - only a toll lane. Also, the 91 W/B traffic is bad even on Saturday afternoon.

The 60 freeway carpool lane is very reliable - many times even at rush hour. It is more direct than the I-10 but it does go through a narrow "badlands" area for about 10 miles. Usually not a problem - just slow down a little.

Transition from 60 carpool to 57 carpool is from the left so no crossing out of the 60 carpool to the 57 South then back to the carpool. This really saves a lot of hassle and is the main reason I recommend this route.

There will be some traffic at the 57 to 22 merge as the I-5 also meets here at the "Orange Crush". Should not be too bad though.

The 22 West is usually very reliable and you can enter and leave the carpool at any point - no solid double yellow lines. Be sure to get out the the carpool before the I-405 or you will not be able to exit at 7th Street.

My only caveat to this route is if you are coming on Saturday July 16. There is a home Angles game at 6 pm so you would need to get through the 57/22 transition well before that time.

Great Info, thanks very much! Looking at a lot of great suggestions, I've printed yours out and checking it on the map. Precisely what I was looking for, i.e., some good "insider information!";)

Do one of these two. Both the 60 and 91 stink at any time. The 10 and 605 are much better freeways, wider and straighter. I HATE the 60 coming out of the Beaumont area.

If you can add a day or two in the Palm Springs area on either end, do it.

Yeah, we're thinking of spending a few extra days in the area after our cruise, I mean, how often to we get to California, eh?:cool:

Appreciate your insights and suggestions.

Yeah, we're thinking of spending a few extra days in the area after our cruise, I mean, how often to we get to California, eh?:cool:

Appreciate your insights and suggestions.

What do you want to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app