Internet packages

Irene7

I have never purchased the internet package before on a cruise. This time I purchased the $59.00 a day service for two days on the Breakaway. Can someone tell me how it works. Do I get internet in our cabin for those two days in which I can get access on my laptop or do I have to use a designated area on the ship?

Hmmm, for real ?? Gotta be kidding - satellite plans are expensive but this ain't so. You are on the Roll Call & sailing this Sunday, like us - on the BA ;)

Just checked into our upcoming reservations, BA's unlimited WiFi plan must be purchased for the duration of the cruise @ $29.99 per day. Or, the 300 MB data plan for $59.00 or 1 GB data plan for $125. Otherwise, some might have the 250 minutes plan minutes as part of the Free At Sea package/bundle. There must be some confusion ??

As to your question about how to - here's the link to NCL - https://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access Basically, you create an user account with UID & password once onboard, and log in to access - one device "active" at a time, but multiple device can share the connection.

Edited by mking8288

Keep in mind - if you are using the connection to stay current on emails, you do not need to purchase as many minutes as you may think.

When you log in, let your emails load onto your device and then TURN OFF wifi to read them and compose your replies. Then turn on wifi to send them and turn it off again. This way you are not burning minutes while you're reading the emails and responding.

Hmmm, for real ?? Gotta be kidding - satellite plans are expensive but this ain't so. You are on the Roll Call & sailing this Sunday, like us - on the BA ;)

Just checked into our upcoming reservations, BA's unlimited WiFi plan must be purchased for the duration of the cruise @ $29.99 per day. Or, the 300 MB data plan for $59.00 or 1 GB data plan for $125. Otherwise, some might have the 250 minutes plan minutes as part of the Free At Sea package/bundle. There must be some confusion ??

As to your question about how to - here's the link to NCL - https://www.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access Basically, you create an user account with UID & password once onboard, and log in to access - one device "active" at a time, but multiple device can share the connection.

When I went into our reservation, I clicked on Internet packages and the plans you mention came up. When I picked the $59.00 one the drop down that said what day to be delivered came up and each day of the cruise came up. I picked the 23rd and 26th. I was charged $118., which I paid. I will call Noregain though to make sure this is correct.

When I went into our reservation, I clicked on Internet packages and the plans you mention came up. When I picked the $59.00 one the drop down that said what day to be delivered came up and each day of the cruise came up. I picked the 23rd and 26th. I was charged $118., which I paid. I will call Noregain though to make sure this is correct.

You have purchased two separate 300 megabyte packages, the delivery dates are irrelevant and you can use the prepaid packages anytime during the cruise until the quota is full.

So just to be clear: you have not purchased a "$59 a day service". If you want unlimited service for even one day, you need to pay for it for the whole duration of the cruise.

Edited by Demonyte

You have purchased two separate 300 megabyte packages, the delivery dates are irrelevant and you can use the prepaid packages anytime during the cruise until the quota is full.

So just to be clear: you have not purchased a "$59 a day service". If you want unlimited service for even one day, you need to pay for it for the whole duration of the cruise.

First of all I thank everyone for their replies. I just got off the phone with NCL and asked the gentleman to look at what I purchased and to explain how it works. He advised that I picked the pay as you go service and not a package. The cabin steward will drop off a form on the 23rd advising that I have access for that day and with instructions how to log on. I will receive another form on the 26th - same drill. If I would like to purchase more days, I can do so on board at guest services. I told him that when I purchased it there was no mention of pay as you go and he said it does seem confusing but if you were not allow to pay as you go, you would have been charged for each day and would have had to pay it when purchasing and this is why I was charged a total of $118.00. We leave this Sunday and if this is not the case, I will be back here when we return and I will give an update as to whether it went as he said or if I had any problems.

Did they not suggest the possibility of reimbursing one of your packages? Or will you really need that much data (600 MB)?

They let you select a delivery date because people sometimes buy stuff as gifts for someone else in the cabin and they want it to show up on a specific date. It doesn't mean it can only be used on that date (but it does mean that you might not be able to use it before that date, so if it's something for yourself it makes sense to request delivery of all ordered items at the beginning of the cruise).

Irene7, now that made sense - I would call them NCL and cancel the 5/26 one, keep the one for 5/23 - have it refunded to your credit card (or, if they won't at this late stage, an OBC - cosmetics are good buy onboard, tax-free & shop early as popular ones run out off as DW learned in the past) Besides, 5/26 or Thursday is a full port day in Bermuda, unless you are planning to stay onboard & surf the net, etc. ;)

Depending on your planned usage (to check email or browse or other light usage, 300 MB might be all you will need - as this is time-based over the faster satellite connection vs. other NCL ship's "slower" data speed, between dial-up & DSL ... regardless of time used to burn those MB data transfered.)

Once you activated, your UIS & PW and account is all set-up, you can buy the extra 300 MB data later on during the cruise, if you are running low or need more ... it doesn't expire at midnight or at the 24 hours mark after initial activation. Just remember to log-out when finished as certain devices will continue to update & use data silently in the background, burning money - configure yours & turn those off (or, get someone with more expertise to help you) ... and there is a "meter" tab to help you monitor your usage. You can easily just add or authorize extra MB add-ons while onboard, it's priced the same and there's no advantage for paying more now in advance (and, no refunds given.)

FYI, Dockyard has a 3 day WiFi plan for just $15 (last reported) with basically unlimited access, coverage is reported as hit-n-miss unless you are near the buildings (some folks said they had decent coverage sitting on the Waterfront with their devices.)

Last year, BA offered a 50MB plan for $19 and 200MB plan for $39 - we took the smallest one - just in case - and managed to get 2 to 3 hours usage out of it with multiple sessions, and even posted semi-live update via Tapatalk to folks on CC with uploads while onboard, using cellular land tower while docked & plan to do the same this time, as even (Google's Project Fi) 3G in Bermuda will be faster than or as good as ship's data speed.

I was on the May 8-15 sailing. I bought the $59.00 for 300 mb package. It worked fine on Monday. Wifi was out shipwide starting on Tuesdayn and continuing at least until Wednesday. I was able to get a full refund on Wednesday (and there were a lot of other people on line for the refund as well).

Did they not suggest the possibility of reimbursing one of your packages? Or will you really need that much data (600 MB)?

They let you select a delivery date because people sometimes buy stuff as gifts for someone else in the cabin and they want it to show up on a specific date. It doesn't mean it can only be used on that date (but it does mean that you might not be able to use it before that date, so if it's something for yourself it makes sense to request delivery of all ordered items at the beginning of the cruise).

I might need it because I normally get over 100 emails a day at work. I will only respond to the important ones of course. Anything that can wait until we get back, I will not bother with. lol

Irene7, now that made sense - I would call them NCL and cancel the 5/26 one, keep the one for 5/23 - have it refunded to your credit card (or, if they won't at this late stage, an OBC - cosmetics are good buy onboard, tax-free & shop early as popular ones run out off as DW learned in the past) Besides, 5/26 or Thursday is a full port day in Bermuda, unless you are planning to stay onboard & surf the net, etc. ;)

Depending on your planned usage (to check email or browse or other light usage, 300 MB might be all you will need - as this is time-based over the faster satellite connection vs. other NCL ship's "slower" data speed, between dial-up & DSL ... regardless of time used to burn those MB data transfered.)

Once you activated, your UIS & PW and account is all set-up, you can buy the extra 300 MB data later on during the cruise, if you are running low or need more ... it doesn't expire at midnight or at the 24 hours mark after initial activation. Just remember to log-out when finished as certain devices will continue to update & use data silently in the background, burning money - configure yours & turn those off (or, get someone with more expertise to help you) ... and there is a "meter" tab to help you monitor your usage. You can easily just add or authorize extra MB add-ons while onboard, it's priced the same and there's no advantage for paying more now in advance (and, no refunds given.)

FYI, Dockyard has a 3 day WiFi plan for just $15 (last reported) with basically unlimited access, coverage is reported as hit-n-miss unless you are near the buildings (some folks said they had decent coverage sitting on the Waterfront with their devices.)

Last year, BA offered a 50MB plan for $19 and 200MB plan for $39 - we took the smallest one - just in case - and managed to get 2 to 3 hours usage out of it with multiple sessions, and even posted semi-live update via Tapatalk to folks on CC with uploads while onboard, using cellular land tower while docked & plan to do the same this time, as even (Google's Project Fi) 3G in Bermuda will be faster than or as good as ship's data speed.

I think that is a good idea and I will cancel the one for the 26th and just re-purchase it if needed. 3 more days till we sail!!!!:D

Edited by Irene7