And Now for Something Completely Different...

Merry Maid

A Dress Question. Well it got your attention didn't it? Here we go, my partner who, poor thing, has only travelled Cunard once before, went to town yesterday. As she passed an Haute Couture Emporium, she was wrestled to the ground by 3 burly women, dragged kicking and screaming into said emporium where she was 'PURSUADED' at knife point and with threats against the dog to purchase what she describes as a BEAUTIFUL SPARKLY TOP - in purple, no less.

The question is, dear reader, can she wear this on formal nights with suitable pants/trousers? I, having no dress sense or indeed interest, am unable to advise her. Nature having blessed me with a metabolism which ensures I remain the same size irrespective of the calories I consume. (A deletorious effect on the gin bill though). Consequently I wear the same two outfits year after year. No doubt this question has been asked many times but after trawling through numerous 'Dress' threads I am rapidly losing the will to live and have more interesting things to do on a Thursday morning. e.g Shave the cat!

All sensible suggestions very gratefully received, thank you

MM

The purple sparkly top sounds lovely. Team it with a pair of palazzo pants (wide leg evening pants) and it should look great. I have a long black skirt and a pair of wide legged black trousers that I wear with different tops and wraps for formal nights. Ball gown not required.

The purple Top sounds just perfect , I don't think we need worry about your other half, I think it's you who we need to worry about ;) (after all you've admitted to having no dress sense ;) ) ......Hopefully you won't let her down and you'll make an effort to spruce up to compliment her in the evenings.

If you want any suggestions come back and let us know.......remember, 'too much on Cunard is not enough' ;)

Ok I am missing the point on pants? There is a difference between British pants and the always better made in China American pants??

British pants are usually underpants - suitable "pants" would be trousers.

I have two very different mental images of the outfit you describe. One works and the other should not even be considered.

Always dress to the top or above of the Cunard dress code and you will be greatly appreciated by the entire crew and most all of the passengers on your cruise.

A Dress Question. Well it got your attention didn't it? Here we go, my partner who, poor thing, has only travelled Cunard once before, went to town yesterday. As she passed an Haute Couture Emporium, she was wrestled to the ground by 3 burly women, dragged kicking and screaming into said emporium where she was 'PURSUADED' at knife point and with threats against the dog to purchase what she describes as a BEAUTIFUL SPARKLY TOP - in purple, no less.

The question is, dear reader, can she wear this on formal nights with suitable pants/trousers? I, having no dress sense or indeed interest, am unable to advise her. Nature having blessed me with a metabolism which ensures I remain the same size irrespective of the calories I consume. (A deletorious effect on the gin bill though). Consequently I wear the same two outfits year after year. No doubt this question has been asked many times but after trawling through numerous 'Dress' threads I am rapidly losing the will to live and have more interesting things to do on a Thursday morning. e.g Shave the cat!

MM

Merry Maid, I agree with previous comments about a BEAUTIFUL SPARKLY TOP (purple or otherwise) seems to work - apparently A N Y T H I N G that sparkles is suitable as formal attire. (I don't pretend to understand.)

So, did you shave the cat? If so, I hope you saved the fur...makes a lovely collar for a sparkly top :eek::D (in the Monty Python tradition). Cheers -S.

MM

Yes

J

Merry Maid, I agree with previous comments about a BEAUTIFUL SPARKLY TOP (purple or otherwise) seems to work - apparently A N Y T H I N G that sparkles is suitable as formal attire. (I don't pretend to understand.)

So, did you shave the cat? If so, I hope you saved the fur...makes a lovely collar for a sparkly top :eek::D (in the Monty Python tradition). Cheers -S.

I'm actually quite surprised that The Cat hasn't yet popped up with one of his usual informative and helpful comments. But just for the record - he is, of course, dead and hence quite beyond reach of any shaving implements.

J

I'm actually quite surprised that The Cat hasn't yet popped up with one of his usual informative and helpful comments. But just for the record - he is, of course, dead and hence quite beyond reach of any shaving implements.

J

J, I never accepted the claim that the cat was dead. He's just pining.

S

Apologies all round - prolixity is one of my greatest, and best known, character flaws :o)

J

Prolixity is it? Well, that's a lot better than being wordy...prolixity has so much more s p a r k l e.

Edited by Salacia