Princess,Starbucks,U.S.A

mrs and mrs

I've driven across enough of the States to know that I don't care much for the countryside from Memphis to Denver, though a wandering path can pretty much pick up hills most of the way until you hit the central states like Kansas. Colorado east of the Rockies is mostly boring. Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska? Boring as a general rule unless you head way south into the hill country of Texas. Colorado is high desert until you get to the Rockies, though the drive from Denver to Fort Collins has its pretty places.

It's funny, but I love the New Mexico desert and hate the Nevada desert. It's just different in an intangible way to me.

If I had my druthers and was flying from elsewhere to the States to spend a couple of weeks riding and then cruising, I'd be all about California, Oregon, the Rockies of Colorado and Wyoming, the hills of New Mexico like Taos, Raton and Santa Fe, Washington west of the mountains and that's about it. The East Coast has too many people and, though places like the Smoky Mountains (I live ~30 minutes from the entrance to the National Park and own a place in Gatlinburg. The main motorcycle thing we have going for us in this area is the legendary Deal's Gap/The Tail of the Dragon.) are pretty, they don't hold a candle to the majesty of the Rockies, Sierras and Pacific Northwest for me, especially with the relatively low congestion out that way. It truly is a whole 'nuther world over there. It's just no contest.

That said, riding across the US is something that would be intriguing just to say you've done it, and I can definitely see the attraction.

The poster who spoke about the BOREDOM of long, long days driving the plains is one you should pay special attention to, Don't try it, especially on motorcycles. It ain't always sunny out there!

Enjoy your visit to our country SAFELY! Good luck!

The mountains near major metropolitan areas on weekends are no picnic either. The clutch hand takes a real beating when stuck in stop-and-go-5mph traffic on a mountainside. I've done it in both relentless hot sun and rain and am not sure which is worse.

We forget about the distances here in the US until we start looking at flights within Europe. From the north to the south in less than 3 hours. It's an amazing thing.

I agree...stick with the western US. Even then there is a tremendous amount of territory to cover, especially as Sturgis is pretty much in the northeast corner of it.

Don't think I have ever had anything worse.

Well, then you haven't had coffee in Nassau, Bahamas. Grossest taste ever. When I got back I mentioned this to a co-worker who said I should have had tea, which kills the taste of the water.

Northbound, California has some beautiful routes (the 101 and the 1) and some ugly routes (the 5 and the 15). Of course the uglier routes are the quickest.

Edited by SadieN

Northbound, California has some beautiful routes (the 101 and the 1) and some ugly routes (the 5 and the 15). Of course the uglier routes are the quickest.

Then there is 395. That's mostly a beautiful drive with lots of varied scenery. I always see people on their big bikes traveling when I go that way.

Thanks guys,i think we may have bitten off more than we can chew,maybe east coast first with a cruise to the bahamas,and then a cpl years later the west with a cruise to alaska.We was talking to some guys and they were egging us on about sturgis,so we watched some u-tube stuff,um sorry i dont think so,haha.And in a bloody car lol.

I'm not sure what a thread about a motorcycle tour of

the United States has to do with a cruise forum...

But, if people mentioned where to stop for butter whilst

on the tour, I would get it.

Sorry Pablo, CC has banned the use/consumption of butter on these forums.😳

Between this last August and the other week, we've gone up and down much of California lengthwise. For much of I-5, once you get past the Grapevine and all the way to where you can drive off to the Bay Area, it's boring. Farm land, farmers' signs complaining about the water crisis, a lot of cows (you can smell them even with your car windows closed...so on a motorcycle, the odor would be overwhelming, I would think).

The 1 is very scenic. The 101 has the wineries and then the forests (it becomes known as the Redwood Highway).

Cows are part of Harris Ranch.

If you get a chance, they have their own teriyaki beef jerky in a container next to the gas station's register.

Needed the sustenance. Drive was 13 hours, never left the state. LA to just below the Oregon border.

Further up the 101 you dodge logging trucks and redwoods in the roadway.

Edited by SadieN

It takes around 10 days to ride across the US. This gives you a little time each day to see some sites but not much else. There is a European tour group that circles the continental US on K model BMW's each June. They start and end in Miami. They spend two weeks on the road and believe me they are some serious riders, logging around 700+ miles a day.

You can arrange through Eagle Riders for your leathers or you can order some reasonably priced leathers on line, a couple of hundred bucks should get you what you need and you can trash or donate them at the end of your ride. I pack really light on my long rides. It is cheaper to buy new undies at Walmart than it is to wash them, Levi's also. Just use'em then pitch'em. You *will* need rain gear.

I ride a scoot for the ride not the destination. Thus, when I go to Sturgis, I'm there only for about half a day. There are so many quality rides in the neighborhood to experience. Much better than over priced beer and underdone brisket.

I'm with you about Starbucks. Get the Starbucks app for your phone .,. makes it easier find the closest one.

If you have the time and resources the ride is a rush. When you are on a motorcycle, even the most unremarkable stretches of road has its appeal. Ride safe.

Cows are part of Harris Ranch.

If you get a chance, they have their own teriyaki beef jerky in a container next to the gas station's register.

Needed the sustenance. Drive was 13 hours, never left the state. LA to just below the Oregon border.

Further up the 101 you dodge logging trucks and redwoods in the roadway.

There's been construction and road work on the Redwood Hwy lately. Where there's just two lanes total and one is closed, there's usually a delay as the other lane has to be used to let cars going south through while the northbound cars have to wait, and then the reverse.

This last time was probably the last time we're going all the way up there because our daughter decided to transfer to a local college for her sophomore year (we're about to take her out tonight to celebrate getting straight As her freshman year:)) and then transfer to a college that offers her a more dedicated program in computer science for her junior year. So I tried to get a good look at the various roadside attractions as we drove past (we did stop once at the Confusion Hill long enough to take photos of the exterior despite the pouring rain).

And we probably stopped at all of the rest areas between LA and Laytonville at least once during the last nine months.