Is an SA worth a $1,000.00 more than an SY?

covey

I am considering the Oosterdam January 21. The price difference from an SY (former SS) to SA (former S) is around $1,000.00 per couple. I do spend a lot of time in the cabin--and especially enjoy port days on the ship, but is it worth the difference?

I am not sure where you are getting prices but I got for that same date and ship a SA at 1574 per person and with port charges and taxes total is 3263.00

A SY is 1024 per person or 2163 in total for two woth port charges and taxes.

The site is a common one used her just plug in the first name if this website and put a .com to it.

Paul

Paul; The site I just checked is several hundred dollars less in each category. It's a BIG site--almost as big as the earth which, poetically, is sometimes referred to as an "orb", if you get my meaning! But how about the original question? The best I've ever had before is a minisuite...

Covey, you're really the only person who can answer that.

If having a bigger cabin and balcony, free laundry and dry cleaning, priority tendering, in-room hors d'oeuvres, usually a suite reception and/or lunch, and access to the Neptune Lounge, with its snacks and espresso/cappuccino machine, are worth the money to you - then go for it! We spend a lot of time in the cabin and definitely think it's worth it. You can always invite a few new friends to your suite for a cocktail party, too; you'll have the space. :D

Happy cruising, whatever you decide.

Susan

Covey, I think you are asking what is the difference between SY and SA and are the differences worth 1000.00???

While both are classified as "suites" they both do not receive the same perks. SS,SY,SZ are Superior Verandah Suites and are not entitled to the perks offered for the SA, SB, SC which are Deluxe Verandah Suites.

While I have never been in either suite, and I'm sure many will correct me if I am wrong, but these are "some" of the extras you get with SA,SB,SC that you DO NOT get with SS,SY,SZ:

Access to the Neptune Lounge/concierge

Free laundry service

DVD player with free movies in the Neptune lounge

Priority embark/disembark

Priority Tender service (where needed)

Priority seating in Pinnacle grill

Availability of breakfast/lunch in the Pinnacle (on certain ships)

I am sure there are more that others will mention, I just don't know of them as I said I have never been in a suite.

While to each their own, and I respect that, I have a hard time looking at my next cruise with a VC 2177pp SS 3087pp SA 4207pp and trying to bring myself to step up to SS where all you really get for an extra 1800 is a bit bigger room/ balcony. And to almost double the price just to get the suite amenities to me personally isn't worth it. I am not knocking anyone that does. I too like the best I can get, but for now a balcony is the best I can get IMHO.

Is a Mercedes worth the extra cost over an entry level Lexus? It all depends on not only what's important to the buyer but what the buyer wants. The answer to your question would be a strong "yes" from some folks and an equally strong "no" from others.

The consistent theme here so far is basically "to each his own". Personally, having had both an SS and an S, I'd go for the S for the price difference stated in the OP. But that's us, we only cruise once a year, it's own major vacation for the year, and we both still work full time jobs. We loved our SS on our 7-day cruise on the Oosterdam. Absolutely a great cabin. What we didn't like was a 7-day cruise....too short. Since then we've taken a 12-day and are booked for a 10-day. In both cases we were/are booked into a S (or an S equivalent since the 12-day was with Celebrity). Bottom line for us is that the extra space is well worth it to us though we understand not everybody would feel that way.

Archived