Self disembarkation on Constellation

Koz1

We're planning to do a self disembarkation at Civittavechia at the end of our cruise on the Constellation in September and the ship is scheduled to arrive at 5am. We have a private transfer booked to pick us up at 8.30am and our flight from Rome is at 12.55pm.

We've done self-disembarkation on our last few cruises, on Royal Caribbean and on Princess, and we've usually had to be among the first groups leaving the ship and that has always worked out well.

For anyone who has done a self-disembarkation on Celebrity, is it also the first group of people leaving the ship? I'm thinking that if we have to leave the ship by say 7am we'll have a long wait outside before the 8.30am private transfer. If they say you have to be in the first group to leave and you leave a bit later would that be an issue (besides perhaps the lifts being busier later)?

I'm wondering if we should change the pickup time for the transfer to an earlier time? I don't mind how early we get to the airport - I'd always prefer to be there early rather than worrying about being late.

You determine what time you want to leave the ship. If I was being picked up at 8.30 I would plan on leaving the ship around 8.00am but put your bags down for a 7.30am departure. This will ensure that your bags are ashore waiting for you when you come ashore. When you are ready to go just walk down to the gangway and off you go. If you want to leave earlier I would plan for your bags to be off the ship half and hour before you want to leave.

Once you inform them that you're self-disembarking, they'll give you a time to meet down at a specific spot. Ignore that time and get down about 45 minutes ahead of that time. Your luggage will be your spot in line. If you wait until it's the "time" then there will be the other 100 or so people ahead of you.

The self-disembarking people get off first but you want to be the first of those because many many people do it.

Generally you're lining up on the deck you have to leave, but if you aren't, and have to go down a flight, best to not take the elevator unless you're standing right by it. Take your luggage in tandem down the stairs and you'll be fine.

We do it most times as we like to get a flight about 9:55 or 10:15 home.

Once you inform them that you're self-disembarking, they'll give you a time to meet down at a specific spot. Ignore that time and get down about 45 minutes ahead of that time. Your luggage will be your spot in line. If you wait until it's the "time" then there will be the other 100 or so people ahead of you.

The self-disembarking people get off first but you want to be the first of those because many many people do it.

Generally you're lining up on the deck you have to leave, but if you aren't, and have to go down a flight, best to not take the elevator unless you're standing right by it. Take your luggage in tandem down the stairs and you'll be fine.

We do it most times as we like to get a flight about 9:55 or 10:15 home.

When we have self disembarked and advised Celebrity of the fact we hear nothing more from them. We have queued up prior to disembarkation time to ensure an early get away. I do agree that if disembarkation is say 6.30 am and you turn up at 6.30 you will be about 100 people behind the head of the queue. That said it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to clear the early bird line.

In the OP's case they don't have to be at the early disembarkation but can take their time to meet their shuttle

When we have self disembarked and advised Celebrity of the fact we hear nothing more from them. We have queued up prior to disembarkation time to ensure an early get away. I do agree that if disembarkation is say 6.30 am and you turn up at 6.30 you will be about 100 people behind the head of the queue. That said it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to clear the early bird line.

In the OP's case they don't have to be at the early disembarkation but can take their time to meet their shuttle

Thanks to you both for your replies. So even if they tell us to be at the earliest disembarkation to leave the ship before 7am there should be no problem if we don't line up until around 7.30am - 7.45am and still have our luggage with us even though we were supposed to have left earlier? Since we started doing self-disembarkation and taking our own bags off we've always lined up before the time we're told to, which has been the first group to leave the ship.

Thanks to you both for your replies. So even if they tell us to be at the earliest disembarkation to leave the ship before 7am there should be no problem if we don't line up until around 7.30am - 7.45am and still have our luggage with us even though we were supposed to have left earlier? Since we started doing self-disembarkation and taking our own bags off we've always lined up before the time we're told to, which has been the first group to leave the ship.

I think the answer to your question is, yes, you can just self disembark at whatever time you want as long as you have control of your own luggage, keeping in mind that they request you vacate your cabin by a certain time. You should double-check onboard but that was my recent experience.

On Reflection in February, we kept all our bags with us and didn't put them out the night before. We went to eat breakfast at 7:15 and returned to our room at 7:50 to grab our luggage. We then took the elevators down to the disembarkation deck and were out of the ship, through Customs, and in a cab shortly after 8. Caveat that this was a Caribbean itinerary debarking in Miami so that may make some difference. The Customs line had no one in it, which helped a lot.

Can anyone tell me how long self disembarkation should take in Rome. I have a cab picking me up at 7:30

Two things will affect your self disembarkation.

1. The time that you will be allowed off - You will need to check with the ship as to what time they will allow self disembarkation. On our recent Constellation cruise into Rome we arrived at 5.00 am and disembarkation was allowed from 6.30 am.

2. How soon / early you queue up to leave the ship. You can expect some passengers who want to leave as soon as possible to start queuing up to 40 minutes before disembarkation time. If disembarkation is 6.30 and you leave it until 6.30 to turn up you will probably find a queue of around 100 people. That said you should still be clear within 15 - 20 minutes

I think the answer to your question is, yes, you can just self disembark at whatever time you want as long as you have control of your own luggage, keeping in mind that they request you vacate your cabin by a certain time. You should double-check onboard but that was my recent experience.

On Reflection in February, we kept all our bags with us and didn't put them out the night before. We went to eat breakfast at 7:15 and returned to our room at 7:50 to grab our luggage. We then took the elevators down to the disembarkation deck and were out of the ship, through Customs, and in a cab shortly after 8. Caveat that this was a Caribbean itinerary debarking in Miami so that may make some difference. The Customs line had no one in it, which helped a lot.

We've self-disembarked on every trip with =X=, no matter the location. We take our own bags (each with a regular size bag plus a smaller carryon) off with us and leave anytime we need to, depending on our transportation from the port. We've learned to use the forward elevators because they're less crowded and if the descending elevators happen to be crowded, we just catch one going up, ride it to the top, and stay on as it goes down. Works every time.

Bon voyage

Betsy

We're planning to do a self disembarkation at Civittavechia at the end of our cruise on the Constellation in September and the ship is scheduled to arrive at 5am. We have a private transfer booked to pick us up at 8.30am and our flight from Rome is at 12.55pm.

We've done self-disembarkation on our last few cruises, on Royal Caribbean and on Princess, and we've usually had to be among the first groups leaving the ship and that has always worked out well.

For anyone who has done a self-disembarkation on Celebrity, is it also the first group of people leaving the ship? I'm thinking that if we have to leave the ship by say 7am we'll have a long wait outside before the 8.30am private transfer. If they say you have to be in the first group to leave and you leave a bit later would that be an issue (besides perhaps the lifts being busier later)?

I'm wondering if we should change the pickup time for the transfer to an earlier time? I don't mind how early we get to the airport - I'd always prefer to be there early rather than worrying about being late.

Celebrity Cruises guests who are eager to depart the ship early can take advantage of Express Departure, an option that allows them to carry their own luggage off the ship rather than claim it in the terminal after disembarking.

To use Express Departure, guests who are able to carry their own luggage simply keep their luggage inside their stateroom the night before departure day.

The next morning, these guests can depart the ship upon arrival and once the ship has received clearance from the local authorities.

Express Departure is available on most Celebrity Cruises itineraries.

We had a Celebrity transfer to the airport that left the ship at 7:30am. Easy ride to the airport where the fun begins. Bus riders were directed to long queues, taxi riders jumped the queues. Two different lines to get a VAT refund, then a queue for ticketing. Wow! All said we still had an hour to spare for the 12:15 departure. Have fun!