Food/dining

natsacutie

I am sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I'm new to the site and still learning how to navigate it.

First time cruiser here, confused about all the dining options. We are cruising Dec 11-18 on the Carnival Dream.

What is the difference in Captain's Dinner, Formal night, elegant night, Main Dining, buffets, etc.? There are SO many options? Which ones are included and which ones are extra? And what are they like?

It would be nice to have a head's up before the cruise.. Thanks in advance!!!

I am sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I'm new to the site and still learning how to navigate it.

First time cruiser here, confused about all the dining options. We are cruising Dec 11-18 on the Carnival Dream.

What is the difference in Captain's Dinner, Formal night, elegant night, Main Dining, buffets, etc.? There are SO many options? Which ones are included and which ones are extra? And what are they like?

No more formal nights, just elegant which is a little less dressier. Main dining is in the dining room, set times early and late or your time. Buffet is on Lido. There is a deli for ordering sandwiches, a pizza place open 24 hours. Some ships have Mongolian wok which is very good, pick your vegetables then your meat/seafood and they wok it right there. There is also the Steakhouse for a $35 pp upcharge. Room service available 24 hrs. Some items are now chargable, others no cost, just tip the person who brings it. Taste bar will give small bites to sample. Coffee bar has danish, cakes and specialty coffees.

There is a seaday brunch and other days breakfast and lunch in the MDR (main dining room). Omelet stations are on Lido every morning. They will fix eggs the way you like. If you like eggs Benedict get the sauce on the side or it will be hard.

There is also the Chef's table which is a $75 upcharge for a 3.5 hour meal.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Captain's Dinner, Formal night, elegant night,

Those terms are frequently used to mean the same thing.

The idea is to get a little more dressed up, some men do tux's, others suit, others a shirt and tie, and others avoid jeans.

Women, the sky's the limit.

The captain and his crew will often meet in the main atrium for pics, and to meet the guests.

Main Dining

Sit down retaurant where you order apps, mains, desserts from a menu.

Buffets

Exactley how it sounds, lots of choices, go up grab a plate, take what you like.

All are included.

Most ships have a Steakhouse, or some other signature dining experience, where an additional fee may apply.

There are a lot of options for dining. For breakfast you have the options to have room service, brunch in the dining room or buffet on the Lido deck. For lunch there is the buffet, room service, and a bbq on deck 5 on sea days. For dinner you can choose between room service, buffet, or a sit down dinner in the dining room. These are all included in your fare. You will be assigned a dining room where you can eat every night. Some nights are casual (think nice pants and top) and elegant (can be nice pants and top or fancy dress, suit, tux). There are 2 elegant nights on a 7 day cruise. There are other options that you pay for including the steakhouse, and some room service options. Hope I've helped some. Let me know if you have more questions. I loved the Dream.

One thing to keep in mind about the main dining room: you can order multiple things. So if you can't choose between a couple of apps or entrees? Get them both. I'm the type of person who gets the same thing at restaurants because I know it's good and I won't be disappointed. Not on a cruise.

wow, that is a lot of options. I am glad one poster mentioned about room service tipping. i thought the extra $180 I opted to add at booking for pre-paid gratuities included RS as well. I was always gonna throw an extra couple bucks to make it 20 percent anyway, but I didnt know they didnt include gratuity at all.

So, I chose main dining MY TIME..I guess I can be prepared to wait?? What type of stuff do they have on the menu? Lobster and steak? Thats crazy, i can order 3 steaks and a lobster and 2 appetizers if I want? How neat!!

remember you are cruising for fun. do your own thing. Sometimes we dress up sometimes we go real casual on cruises. It is your vacation ! There will be several opportunities for you to have photos taken in whatever you have chosen.

we love the chefs table and book it every cruise we can. It is a small 12-15 people dining experience with wine and food pairings. It is a great experience and one highly recommend. Usually you contact the steak

house to make reservations.

W always dine in steak house at least once per cruise. Love the pampering and experience. Once again I would recommend.

Haven't been on Dream so can't recommend boat specific stuff but try new stuff and have fun. You don't have to eat it if you don't like it but at least you get to try it :)

Enjoy your cruise

we always do your time dining and have never waited more than 20 minutes or so. Its just like any restaurant at home on a friday night so we just go grab a drink and people watch til our buzzer goes off. 20 minutes is rare though but we don't go at peak times. seems like we're hungry around 6:30 or 8:30 and I think a lot of people go at 7.

To add a couple small details - I've only been on Fantasy Class ships so far, so I assume it scales up but works the same.

At the lido breakfasts, as others have said, the omelette bar, eggs, pig in various glorious forms, usually pastries and fruit.

At the lido lunches, you have the grill part of the buffet line - hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers, fries. You also have what I'd call a hot-line buffet - so it's whatever the meal(s) of the day are and the fixins...could be fried chicken, or fish, or ???. Things like Mashed potatoes, Plantains, etc as a side.

There is also a desert bar as well.

Dinner on Lido - not sure, as we eat in the Main Dining Room. I know they have pizza all the time, and soft serve ice cream...great at 2am.

Tea, water and lemonade are always available at Lido - not sure about the coffee and hot chocolate - but I think it's usually there.

The Main Dining Room is open for dinner every night, they have a smaller lunch menu from what I remember (only did lunch there once, not impressed), and a brunch maybe. But each night there is a choice of appetizers, of entrees, and desserts. As others have said, you don't have to just pick one.

We have done my time and reserved time. The my time is convenient, and we never waited that long - but when they open it's a zoo. I prefer the reserved time seating - you have the same table every night and get to know the staff. (You can ask for the same table at the my time I've read)

If you search on the forums, you can usually find some recent menus posted to give you an idea of what to expect. Of you could look here http://zydecocruiser.net/menus/CarnivalCruiseLineMenus.htm

I'm sure the Dream has some of the other "restaurants" such as Guys Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Grill. Those have certain hours, but are included in the price. My next cruise will be the first one with one of those so Hello New Waist Size!

No idea on the Chef's table - other than I hear it's amazing. To quote "Keeping Up Appearances" - "Blimey...you have to eat with the crew"

That link I put in there has some stuff about the Chef's table as well - menu and pictures.

I also forgot, the mdr usually has a "Have you ever?" item on the menu - things that you may not have tried - rabbit, lamb, escargot, alligator, etc. Some good finds on there.

You do not have to feel bad about ordering multiple entrees and appetizers, the portions are small- at least compared to restaurant portions. At a regular restaurant the appetizers may be big enough to make a meal, but Carnivals are more of a sample, a few bites worth. I usually order an appetizer and soup or salad, entrée and dessert and I am very full, but not overly stuffed. Husband orders app and salad, 2 entrees and no dessert.

If you food is served tepid please let them know you want hot food. Many times the grits aren't hot on Lido. Have had many an entree served not hot. Now they serve salads room temp, used to be cold. Not really good.

Ask for double meat at the deli. They have very good tuna salad.

You