Question for Ine-- Amsterdam

Hi Ine, we will be visiting Anne Frank House at 11:00 in the morning and then plan to go to Van Gogh Museum and possibly Rijksmuseum. How far of a walk is it to the Museum district from Anne Frank House? How long do you think it would take at a slower pace walk. Or would you recommend taking the tram to the Museum? Just trying to get an idea of what time to book our Van gogh tickets based on our walking time. Thank you for all your wonderful information about Amsterdam. Can't wait to see this lovely city!

I suggest to take busnr. 170 or 172 from Westermarkt to Museumplein, ride will only be about 10 minutes. Or indeed walk all the way down Prinsengracht to Leidsestraat, from there over Leidsplein, cross to Stadhouderskade and Museumplein.

In case after a while you think it is too far, you can walk to Marnixstraat and take a bus there.

I guess that whole walk will be about 45 minutes or more.

Enjoy!

Edited by Ine

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ine, we will be visiting Anne Frank House at 11:00 in the morning and then plan to go to Van Gogh Museum and possibly Rijksmuseum. How far of a walk is it to the Museum district from Anne Frank House? How long do you think it would take at a slower pace walk. Or would you recommend taking the tram to the Museum? Just trying to get an idea of what time to book our Van gogh tickets based on our walking time. Thank you for all your wonderful information about Amsterdam. Can't wait to see this lovely city!

I just want to know how you got tickets to Anne Frank House? I have been trying every day for a month and I have never seen an actual ticket for sale on their site. Any secrets would help.

Jim

Hi Ine, Do you have any observations on the floods in Germany and France (Netherlands too?) areas? We are planning a car trip through Loire Valley and D-Day beaches then up to Rotterdam for cruise to Boston. We start June 21. The news reports have me worried as some of the chateaus we plan to visit have a NEW moat!

Hi Ine, Do you have any observations on the floods in Germany and France (Netherlands too?) areas? We are planning a car trip through Loire Valley and D-Day beaches then up to Rotterdam for cruise to Boston. We start June 21. The news reports have me worried as some of the chateaus we plan to visit have a NEW moat!

The attractive route up or down the Loire Valley is directly alongside the river, so that may be affected too.

There are no significant concerns in Normandy, spoke to a friend who lives in Bernay a couple of days ago .

I too was wondering about how Rotterdam etc were coping, cos all that water in Germany has to empty into the sea somewhere. But Amsterdam has excellent flood barriers for the canal system.

21st June is a couple of weeks or more away, hopefully most of the problems will have gone by then.

JB :)

I too was wondering about how Rotterdam etc were coping, cos all that water in Germany has to empty into the sea somewhere. But Amsterdam has excellent flood barriers for the canal system.

No flooding in the Western part of Holland. The south and eastern provinces took some excessive rain, see http://www.nltimes.nl/2016/06/02/thunderstorms-cause-widespread-flooding-more-rain-expected/

The poster inquiring about Normandy - Rotterdam; the situation in the provinces Zeeland, Zuid Holland and the western part of Brabant of The Netherlands you will travel through (by car) is as normal.

Edited by FreestyleNovice

I just want to know how you got tickets to Anne Frank House? I have been trying every day for a month and I have never seen an actual ticket for sale on their site. Any secrets would help.

Jim

I got tickets for July. I checked the website every day. I ended up getting them two months before our date. You are going in August? It looks like they haven't released tickets beyond August 2nd at this point. My guess is they will be releasing more for August any day now because it is only two months away.

I got tickets for July. I checked the website every day. I ended up getting them two months before our date. You are going in August? It looks like they haven't released tickets beyond August 2nd at this point. My guess is they will be releasing more for August any day now because it is only two months away.

Thanks Kim. You are the first person I have heard of that got tickets. We want to book August 4 so I am trying about every two hours. Glad you got yours. Happy cruising!

JIm

Thanks Kim. You are the first person I have heard of that got tickets. We want to book August 4 so I am trying about every two hours. Glad you got yours. Happy cruising!

JIm

You are more OCD than me ;) If you are checking that often, you should be able to get them. I was only checking 2-3 times per day. I recommend checking as early as you can and/or maybe late in your case for west coast time, on the chance that they are releasing them in the morning, Amsterdam time. The day I got mine, I had checked before going to bed and they were not available; the next morning (eastern time zone), I checked about 5:30 am and they were available and some already were sold.

Good luck!

Thank You everyone for the up to date information. It is calming. Once we joined a cruise in Istanbul and when we turned on TV in the cabin found out that Istanbul had a huge flood! We had been there five days and our excellent guide just got us around it to the point that we did not know that the rains were serious trouble. Can't wait to be back in your part of the world again.

Jim

I checked the site daily at different times and finally saw the July 15th tickets that I needed and was able to pick the time I wanted. Keep checking on their site as they sometimes add additional tickets and times to a particular date. Good luck, we are really happy to have been able to get these tickets as this was something we just "had to do" on this trip to Amsterdam!! Hope you get yours also!