Celebrity Cruise Gratuity Increase from 14th June 2016

MR_T

I agree with you about using the OBC to pay for gratuities but I don't see the difference in Select vs. Traditional if you are paying for them on board. Oh well, we can talk about it next week.

I think the reason they were "required" with Select Dining is that you rarely develop a friendly relationship with your waitstaff making it easier for those so inclined to remove the tips.

To everyone complaining about the increase the staff gets due to the increase in tips, try living on their salaries and working as hard as they do once. They get almost no time off, and work really hard for some unpleasant people. I'm sure everyone here is friendly and considerate but you know there are those who complain all the time, leave a mess in the cabin, and have unreasonable expectations. 14 years ago when we took our first cruise, the stewards had fewer cabins to maintain and the waiters had fewer tables. Now they do more with a pittance more. My feeling is that I can afford the luxury of taking a cruise and my enjoyment depends on the staff, so I tip them. I always add extra tips, except once, when we had a sub-par steward, and I have never removed tips now that they are automatic. Before they were added to our accounts, we brought extra cash in case we had exceptional service, and never tipped below the recommended amount. And we live on a fixed income and are far from wealthy. We are however happy.

Kindness - to your cabin mates, to your stewards, to your waiters - makes for a happy cruise.

Beth

Edited by bbappel

• 2 months later...
As I read the announcement, it looks like the increase is about 55 cents per day. On a 14 day cruise that means you will have to pay an additional $8 per person. Maybe I am in the minority but for the hardworking staff an extra 55 cents per day seems like a bargain. And why wouldn't they expect to get a raise every year. If you are still working, don't you expect it? Maybe, you don't get that yearly salary adjustment but you expect it none the less.

If I choose to continue to cruise, then I am prepared to pay the cruise fare as well as pay for any additional features that I may want.

Barry

If the cost of living does not go up, no one should expect a raise every year.